• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Claymation, Narcissism, and Amorality

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
[Split from Share Your Favorite Video]

In reply to Night's post of The Mysterious Stranger:

That is the most incredible claymation I've ever seen. I am writing a paper on narcissism, and this is a perfect illustration for amorality, which is a key part of sociopathy, which is a key element of narcissism.

Last edited:

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
That is the most incredible claymation I've ever seen. I am writing a paper on narcissism, and this is a perfect illustration for amorality, which is a key part of sociopathy, which is a key element of narcissism.

Excellent.

The video is but a segment within a greater piece documenting the existential side of Mark Twain.

Let me give you my take:

On a basic level, the piece could be viewed as an examination of the internal mechanics of unbelief.

The fundamental ideals of life - social custom; communal welfare; emotion & its role in judgment - are presented in a systematic manner and are thusly chewed into oblivion. In the end, nothing truly exists, save thought.

And yet, thought is finally revealed as a finite series of internal rhythms given only momentary breath by "God" (us).

To this end, we "become" Satan, as we create and destroy without pause. The devil represents the conscious acceptance of this human constant. In a crude way, he might even be understood to be our "conscience".

Hope this helps.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Really? I have to watch it again.

I didn't know Mark Twain was into this kind of stuff. I am really interested in him now..

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Really? I have to watch it again.

I didn't know Mark Twain was into this kind of stuff. I am really interested in him now..

Much of his identity is hidden within popademic-whimsy.

Some critics regard this series of short stories as an extended letter of suicide.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I do not agree with what Twain or the video is saying about human nature. This forum serves as an example that people can be better than simple beings that kill over land and wealth, and destroy beauty without pause.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
I do not agree with what Twain or the video is saying about human nature. This forum serves as an example that people can be better than simple beings that kill over land and wealth, and destroy beauty without pause.

Hm... but are we really representative of human nature in general? 15 years of internet for the masses representative of millennia of humanity. And are we truly as we portray ourselves online?

I do believe that individuals can rise above human nature, but looking at human history, do the majority really do that? Even today? We're part of a culture that was enabled by slavery, wars, sweatshops, killing over resources etc. Even the internet is a byproduct of war. Yet we sit here writing about being better than simple beings instead of spending all our resources to help humanity rise above destruction, exploitation etc.

I think Twain had a point.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
You're right.. I just had an optimistic moment. There is beauty in truth, and I think that is why I loved that clip so much.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
You're right.. I just had an optimistic moment. There is beauty in truth, and I think that is why I loved that clip so much.

As a sidebar, why do we (or most, perhaps) instinctively "find" beauty in truth?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Good question! I would say the few of us that do appreciate truth and philosophy are those that crave understanding.. not affirmation.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Good question! I would say the few of us that do appreciate truth and philosophy are those that crave understanding.. not affirmation.

Interesting!

Does education provide understanding, such that popular beliefs permit?

Curious...

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think it does. In order for it to stick, you have to have the hunger for it. Or you have to already be aware of it on an intuitive level, and the education would clear things up on a cognitive level.

Quite a vague question. Hope my answer was to the question you were truly asking.~

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP

Sorry for walking all over your optimism. I guess I had a pessimistic or realistic moment because of the video. :D

I don't think it does. In order for it to stick, you have to have the hunger for it. Or you have to already be aware of it on an intuitive level, and the education would clear things up on a cognitive level.

Very good answer. My knee jerk reaction to the question was "Yes, it does", but you're right. It only works to clear up things and make you ask new questions if you already have the hunger.