• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Teaching/Learning Styles and Type

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Okay. I've noticed there are many ways to present a problem to a student when teaching, but I'm wonder from a students perspective what feels the most comfortable. Is it type related or not? Is there a way that all types prefer? Or is each way best for one type and worst for another, so a teacher must adapt on a per student basis?

I figure some questions might work well for this, so here goes:

What is your type?

Part 1: Being taught

What style of teaching feels most comfortable to you? Why?

What style of teaching do you learn the most from? Why?

What style of teaching is most uncomfortable for you? Why?

What style of teaching do you learn almost nothing from? Why?

Part 2: Self guided reading/exploring

Do you normally explore things and learn new things in your spare time? If so, how?

Do you find it easier to read large amounts of text, or look at visual representations of things, or a mix of each?

Do you like to see concepts and why laid out first, or just want to know how and the details, or something else?

Do you find new technical details and large words increase your interest, or make it drift?

What would the perfect document to learn from look like to you? How would it be laid out and approach explaining?

What would the most annoying document ever made look like to you? How would it be laid out and approach explaining?

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
There are actually several books and even college classes on type and learning styles, and yes, they do follow a pattern. I'm sorry I can't remember the titles of the books, but I'm sure a good google search would find them.

What is your type?

Interactive group conversation

Interactive conversation and anything that involves making brain connections - how does this theory relate to that theory. I also strongly prefer visual information over auditory.

Group projects - the kind where you are supposed to get together as a group and write a play or create a presentation. The work the group creates is always inferior to what I could accomplish on my own, and usually involves a lot of wasted time dealing with conflicts and people's particular personality issues.

Besides group projects, I learn very little from lecture, especially if it has not visuals and is fairly basic or about a topic that doesn't interest me.

Do you normally explore things and learn new things in your spare time? If so, how?

I constantly read books, explore ideas with my mind and with others and create written projects.

Do you find it easier to read large amounts of text, or look at visual representations of things, or a mix of each?

I like both - a mix is good.

Do you like to see concepts and why laid out first, or just want to know how and the details, or something else?

I don't usually care about "why" I should learn something - if I didn't want to learn about the topic, I wouldn't have taken the class, bought the book, etc. I prefer books that are full of content, instead of 5 chapters leading up to one chapter of actual information, followed by 5 summary chapters. Dive into content right away! (But I do like personal stories that relate to certain spiritual or psychology topics that I am studying).

Do you find new technical details and large words increase your interest, or make it drift? Large words increase my interest, technical details decrease my interest.

What would the perfect document to learn from look like to you? How would it be laid out and approach explaining?

It would give information and make a lot of connections between different ideas. It would have a lot of color photos or illustrations, but it would not be cluttered. It would dive right into the information without wasting time.

What would the most annoying document ever made look like to you? How would it be laid out and approach explaining?

The most annoying documents I have ever read are technical manuals that were obviously written by people who don't have a good grasp of English and who skip important details or have vague unclear drawings.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
What is your type? ENFP

What style of teaching feels most comfortable to you? Why? When teachers get a bit more personal and befriend me and my classmates. Like a big brother explaining something to you. Interweaving facts with questions with humor. It must feel lighthearted.

What style of teaching do you learn the most from? Why? The one that "wins" me first by making me understand the relevance and application and "common knowledge" value of it. If more of my physics (for example) professors expounded on the philosophical aspects of it, I'd be ten times more excited about it.

What style of teaching is most uncomfortable for you? Why? Monotonously dictating fact as if it was being read from a book.

What style of teaching do you learn almost nothing from? Why? Same as above.

Do you normally explore things and learn new things in your spare time? If so, how? Only things that really interest me. Not the end result, but the process of it. As an example I love videogames, I love the idea of making videogames, but most learning the tools needed to make a videogame is hell on earth because it's so far away from the end result. Philosophy or psychology is something I love learning about because my mind would already asks much of the questions associated with its learning. I'm guessing an INTX would be much more inclined to like programming (an aspect of making games) just for it's own sake. The beauty of the code might be more apparent to them as that of philosophy and psychology is to me.

Do you find it easier to read large amounts of text, or look at visual representations of things, or a mix of each? Visual is better, because it requires me to memorize less and conceptualize more in my mind. I don't have a good memory, so I need to frame it in my mind as a concept to fully understand it.

Do you like to see concepts and why laid out first, or just want to know how and the details, or something else? Hmm, hard to answer. I dislike extended introductions to things. I guess I'd prefer a mix of how and why. How and why, how and why. Instead of dragging on how and then on why or vice versa. It requires me to strain my limited memory too much.

Do you find new technical details and large words increase your interest, or make it drift? Make it drift usually. Don't name it, until we understood it. For example, if you were teaching me about quicksort in programming, don't expound on what it does first. Drop it as a deus ex machina on an exercise and then..."see this line right here? see what I did there? nifty uh? it's called quicksort"

What would the perfect document to learn from look like to you? How would it be laid out and approach explaining? It would be as small and direct to the point, leaving out secondary details. All so I can have the concept etched into my mind first, before learning about the details later. Again because of my incapacity for storing lots of amount of data from the get go. But several examples of why something is true if it's in the realm of science and mathematics are really welcome. Don't ask the questions. Give me the answers to 5 scenarios, and I'll conceptualize the pattern I'm missing for myself.

What would the most annoying document ever made look like to you? How would it be laid out and approach explaining? It would be as removed from pragmatism as possible. It would expound on any and everything as if it was something I was supposed to draw upon again and again and again...because none of it would stick since it was so overwhelming to digest.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is your type?
INFJ

Is there a list of particular teaching methods that I can reference and choose from? It's hard for me to list a teaching style without knowing the various types/options. So I can't answer these questions directly.

I will say though that when it comes to learning, I tend to need to understand things conceptually - the big-picture - before I have any need or desire for the details. The details mean absolutely nothing to me if I don't have the larger context first - the whys, the purpose, background info. Once I have this larger picture, the details then make sense to me and I'm able to assimilate them in the relevant places in the bigger picture - and can decide which are more pertinent/relevant and which I don't need to pay as much attention to. Also, when it came to schoolwork, if I already understood the concept, memorization of details was relatively easy because the details then became intuitive with my larger understanding of the concepts.

As an example, I am now trying to teach myself SQL. Now, ultimately I am most in need of potentially knowing querying with SQL - not building databases/tables or having the admin rights to manipulate data or the like. But based on my learning style, I already knew that my just jumping straight into Select statements (what I ultimately think I need to know), and querying, wasn't going to do an ounce of good because I wasn't going to be able to fit that into the larger concept of what in the heck I was actually doing when typing in those queries, or how it worked. So I'd be useless in integrating my knowledge in practice without starting from the bottom and understanding a lot more than just the SQL language itself.

I need to understand how it works - not just memorize details to spit out without having a deeper understanding of what I'm doing. Simply being told something is some way is of no use to me; I need to *get* it on a really deep, conceptual level. So, that means in this case learning about databases, what they are, how relational databases are structured, how they're built, where the queries are actually 'going' to retrieve the data, the process of how that works, and all of that, so that the query language actually makes sense to me intuitively rather than just being a factoid.

Best teachers for me? Ones who explored the concepts. For myself, once I understand the concept, I can tie in the details on my own pretty easily. Without the conceptual understanding, that's not gonna happen - or, it'll have to happen 100% on my own and has nothing at all to do with the teacher - so in that case the teacher did absolutely nothing for me and the class was useless and I had to do it all on my own.

I also have always liked learning on my own and 'practicing' stuff - whether that was chemistry problems, math, learning computer stuff, whatever. I despised group projects and also in-class discussions where you were required to participate. Boo to that!! ;) (although discussions were quite interesting if it wasn't required that I add a comment. I had a couple of teachers who incorporated that element - requiring every single person to make a comment (or three) in a given discussion, and I found that really stressful)

Yes, on a need to know basis, or if something strikes my interest and I'm curious and want to know more.

Both. I can do well with large amounts of text, but when it comes to certain more abstract concepts - such as this SQL thing, or any number of other disciplines in science or math - visuals REALLY really help. Visuals and actual examples of what they're talking about. The examples cement the concepts in my mind when the words might not.

Concepts/why first. Then How and details. But Edit: Now that I've read some other responses, I need to clarify.. typically with good teaching/books, there's an intermingling of all, and a progression. A concept is presented in conjunction with other aspects. Then additional concepts are overlaid or the concept is broadened or delved more deeply, and then more details/hows are added as that happens.

Do you find new technical details and large words increase your interest, or make it drift?

Usually increase my interest.

Mix of words/text, graphs and charts, and any other helpful visual that explained the concept better.

Honestly it depends on the discipline. If we're talking a document about literature or which is more philosophical, text-only would be fine. But, say this SQL book I'm reading -- if it was only text and provided no tables/data/visuals? That would be virtually useless for my needs and for the particular concept.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What is your type?

INTP

Being able to read and process information on my own in my own time. Understanding how the different things all connect to each.

Independent study, people who can explain how everything logically relates to each other, an opportunity to practice and apply the skills learned.

Probably group study or pure lecture without much visuals or no chance to ask questions.

See above question.

All the time. Mostly by reading about them.

I need a mixture. Too much of one without the other I tend to find confusing.

It depends. If its a procedure, it helps me to know why I'm doing each step to really understand it and remember it. For some things, I don't really care about the underlying reason why. For example, I know how to operate a computer or a car but I couldn't tell on the inside what's making it work and I don't really care.

It depends. Too many at once will make me drift big time. A few here and there is alright.

It would logically flow from one point to the next. Explanations would be simple and straightforward. No extraneous stuff. Visuals to help explain the text. More bullet points instead of overly long paragraphs.

Something that lacked the qualities in the above question.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What is your type? ENFP

One where the teacher instructs my to think outside the box and think creatively and dynamically. A teaching style that gives me the freedom to learn what I want to learn, an learn not just from but with the teacher (for example my college philosophy courses seemed to emphasize independent thinking with engaging discussion on the topic manner). That and I appreciate a teacher who is willing to abondone old academic practices in favor of new ideas, a teacher who has a charismatic and thoughtful personality.

Typically visual lectures such as videos or pictures often help to illustrate facts and concepts, lectures in small groups, and what I mentioned above.

One where the teaching is to cold, rigid, and distant. Also where the teacher is unflexible in deadlines and class procedures.

Anything invovling rote practice and memorization. Seriously, this style is so boring.

Sometimes I do, if I'm in the mood. I'm a capracious learner, so I only want to learn specific things when my gut instinct wants me to.

I grew up with my eyes glued to the tv, so for me I'd much rather watch an intellectual program on something rather than sift through thousands of words.

I'm a conceptual learner who values the big picture more than minor details.

I venerate sesquipedalian vocabulary and I endeavor to utilize universally whenever attainable. I adore the thesaurus to such astronomical degree that it has converted to matrimonial status with I.

It would be a poetic and insightful in detail, questioning me all along the way with thoughtful/conceptual questions that leave me pondering for hours.

It would be one where an abundance of useless information was laid out in a stale and boring manner. If it reads like a legal document then I shall share no interest in it at all.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Is there a list of particular teaching methods that I can reference and choose from? It's hard for me to list a teaching style without knowing the various types/options. So I can't answer these questions directly.

Actually, I was mainly looking for honest personal answers of what you like rather than categories. So however you want to describe it works :). I think I want to see the variety in how people learn and how different it can be to my perception of what feels best. I'd really like STJs to answer too, because they've been among those I've found harder to teach.

There are actually several books and even college classes on type and learning styles, and yes, they do follow a pattern. I'm sorry I can't remember the titles of the books, but I'm sure a good google search would find them.

Thanks for the info. I added the type part for interest, because I knew some people on here would find looking at correlations interesting. I just want to see the options and the variety of ways people learn. I suppose that's an insight into ENFP style learning or at least one ENFP :).

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I should do.

What is your type? ENFP

Self guided, relaxed and interactive. I like to explore with someone to ask questions of, rather than someone to guide me. Freedom of approach feels really important.

I'm not sure. Probably either extreme. If someone sits me down and makes me listen to and do a lot that I wouldn't normally do, or if I have freedom to explore and knowledgeable mentors to question and discuss ideas with.

Lectures. I've never learnt anything from them. For some reason I just don't absorb it. The other would be things with rigid procedures and schedules where there is no time to stop and question things.

Same as last question.

Always. What I explore can seem pretty random though. One interest one day, another interest the next. Just whatever I feel I want or need to know.

Probably a mix, though I lean toward visuals and am put off by walls of text.

I like to learn things top down. So show me the big picture system and what is happening, and at the same time let me guess why, then confirm it. Maybe a diagram and a definition before using new words would be enough, so I know what they mean and where they fit into it all.

Large words make me drift, new technical details interest me as long as the fundamentals are accessible and they aren't isolated islands of knowledge.

Simple. Clear. No frills. Free flowing. Primarily conceptual rather than technical and logical, though include all necessary details and feel intuitive.

What would the most annoying document ever made look like to you? How would it be laid out and approach explaining?[/QUOTE]
Walls of text. Lots of technical words known by a few people in the area. Useless diagrams. Lack of order or coherence. Lots of adjectives strung together rather than flowing descriptions.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What is your type?

ESTP

lecture with very strongly encouraged and frequent class participation... if I can't talk I don't pay attention :blush:

see above :)

lectures where I'm expected to sit quietly and listen... I get bored and quit paying attention if I can't participate :devil:

the aforementioned sitting still and listening :thumbdown:

yes, I'm a curious person! I talk to strangers of all walks life, read books and do research and visit museums for fun! :holy:

I'm only willing to read a lot of text if it's case studies or a history... otherwise give me pictures or give me death! :yes:

If it's interesting jump right to the details, if it's something boring please explain why I have to learn it :jesus:

depends on the situation/subject

case studies and interviews and histories... short paragraphs and lots of pictures :wubbie:

What would the most annoying document ever made look like to you? How would it be laid out and approach explaining?[/QUOTE]

lots of long, unbroken text with no pictures... i.e. my constitutional law textbook :horor:

October Rust

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What is your type? INFJ

One-on-one with a teacher who is patient with me. The less people there are, the more comfortable I am xD

What style of teaching do you learn the most from? Why? One where I receive encouragement and am given a little push to achieve the personal goals that the teacher recognizes I have. I have to feel like the teacher cares about me as a person to really learn something.

Being made to work in a group. I prefer to work alone.

What style of teaching do you learn almost nothing from? Why?A teacher who only focuses on the group and not the individuals. It doesn't motivate me.

Do you normally explore things and learn new things in your spare time? If so, how? Yes, sometimes I suddenly get interested in a topic and try to learn all I can about it through books and the internet.

Do you find it easier to read large amounts of text, or look at visual representations of things, or a mix of each? Mix of each. Too much text is too hard to absorb, too many pictures and it is sometimes overly simplified, due to lack of detailed explanation.

Concepts and why. How and the details is too hard for me to absorb in the beginning.

Do you find new technical details and large words increase your interest, or make it drift? They make it drift.

What would the perfect document to learn from look like to you? How would it be laid out and approach explaining? Progressive (simple concepts explained first, then harder ones), summaries at the end of chapters, good amount of white space, pictures that support the text, font that isn't too small or too big, examples to back up facts.

What would the most annoying document ever made look like to you? How would it be laid out and approach explaining? Block of text with no "white space", not in logical order, too much irrelevant information, overly "correct" language.