• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is This Si?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Linda V. Berens is fine by me. Here is hers:

Dynamics of personality type: understanding and applying Jung's cognitive processes.
http://books.google.com/books?id=ca...&resnum=1&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

There is a big difference between lying in bed thinking about childhood and someone who naturally operates with a preference for Si, which means we need to have the important Si word involved: COMPARISON. It's the process of constantly taking in information and COMPARING it to what is ALREADY KNOWN. What is already known is what is in the person's subjective mental rolodex. The past is being COMPARED to the present.

There's a difference between someone whose thinking operates with a preference for Si, and a comment such as, " I was thinking about childhood last night . . . "

As much as I like Berens' overall system, sometimes that method of identifying it by behavior ends up oversimplifying things, and creating stereotypes and Forer effects.
Your paraphrase of "COMPARISON" is better, and what Sim and I would associate with "perspective". A person whose preferred information gathering perspective is one of making comparisons.

I believe Berens' best descriptions of the functions are the little script one-liners that appear on the top of the pages of that booklet.
For Si:

The Philosophy of Life that engages Introverted Sensing:
There is always a comparison to be made, and if it is familiar it is to be trusted"

So "philosophy of life" would be like "perspective" or "world-view", and there you have your "comparison".

Jaguar

As much as I like Berens' overall system, sometimes that method of identifying it by behavior ends up oversimplifying things, and creating stereotypes and Forer effects.
Your paraphrase of "COMPARISON" is better, and what Sim and I would associate with "perspective". A person whose preferred information gathering perspective is one of making comparisons.

I believe Berens' best descriptions of the functions are the little script one-liners that appear on the top of the pages of that booklet.
For Si:

The Philosophy of Life that engages Introverted Sensing:
There is always a comparison to be made, and if it is familiar it is to be trusted"

So "philosophy of life" would be like "perspective" or "world-view", and there you have your "comparison".

Have it your way. I have 8 "perspectives" and use what is needed depending upon the situation. By the way, you didn't really think I thought you'd change your mind did you? :wink: