• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stanford Prison Experiment

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Stanford Prison Experiment Video
Has anyone ever seen/heard of this? It's kind of old, but really interesting none the less.

Along with Milgrom's "zap the subject" experiments, one of the most famous psych/socio tests of last century.

They shut it down early because of the negative group dynamics. Very fascinating stuff.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I've read The Lucifer Effect, which is the book written by the professor administering the experiment.. thanks for the link to the video.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Great stuff.. anyone doesn't know about this, worth a look/read. It's amazingly depressing what it says about the human psyche, too! Hooray!

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
Only now reading about it. Quite morbid. And interesting how some guards were apparently kinder and some genuinely sadistic.

sassafrassquatch

The prison experiment describes perfectly how I see the world. We're all prisoners and our rulers are the prison guards. It's why I don't trust anyone with the slightest amount of power or authority.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
*nods* Very fascinating stuff indeed... It's a classic for intro psyc classes. :yes: Good stuff!

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
There is a rather shocking but impressive German filmversion of it: "Experiment".
Experiment, Das (2001)

The experiment in itself is absolutely amazing and frightening.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
This strongly reminds me of my time in the prison camps and why I never wish to return to them. It may be the main thing that gave me my strong resistance to authority through undermining their power and attacking their position. Of course, some of it is just my personality.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
This is a classic! I find the Milgram Shock Experiments even more disturbing though.

If I ever get a PhD, it will likely be in social psych.

They really went full force with this experiment, and there's no way any US institution would allow it today. From The Stanford Prison Experiment: A Simulation Study of the Psychology of Imprisonment:

Blindfolded and in a state of mild shock over their surprise arrest by the city police, our prisoners were put into a car and driven to the "Stanford County Jail" for further processing.
Each prisoner was systematically searched and stripped naked. He was then deloused with a spray, to convey our belief that he may have germs or lice
Out of 50 or more outsiders who had seen our prison ...only one who ever questioned its morality. Once she countered the power of the situation, however, it became clear that the study should be ended.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm just gonna come out and say it... I studied the experiments in every fucking psych class I took. And, I was a psych major. I never thought the experiments were even remotely interesting. *shrug*

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I'm just gonna come out and say it... I studied the experiments in every fucking psych class I took. And, I was a psych major. I never thought the experiments were even remotely interesting. *shrug*

Is that because it was already obvious to you that if you put people in a position of power they will commit atrocities just because of the dynamic?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Is that because it was already obvious to you that if you put people in a position of power they will commit atrocities just because of the dynamic?

It could be a number of things:
1. Hindsight bias.
2. Getting exposed to experiments I found much more interesting.
3. Like you said, human nature is naturally aggressive, it just needs an outlet/opportunity to express itself. And people will naturally submit to authority.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

*opens her dog-eared "Grand MBTIc Social Experiment" notebook to Edahn's page and scribbles furiously*

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
It could be a number of things:
1. Hindsight bias.
2. Getting exposed to experiments I found much more interesting.
3. Like you said, human nature is naturally aggressive, it just needs an outlet/opportunity to express itself. And people will naturally submit to authority.

Could you point me (us?) in the direction of experiments you found more interesting? (genuine question, I'm pretty ignorant in this area)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
This was experiment had very disturbing results. Extremely eye-opening about how systems of oppression work. In a metaview it also speaks to the irresponsibility and arrogance of people conducting experiments aka academics and social scientists.