• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do you give rep points?

Why?

• Total voters

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, I know what you mean, hence my point above about not giving those kindsa points and sorta wishing people wouldn't to me either.

Having said that, it's not necessarily a pity fuck thing. I mean, if someone really likes you because of your posts in general, and they just feel like making a show of it that way, I don't think pity necessarily enters into it...

why are you arguing with me about my subjective opinion on them?

doesn't matter anyway. it totally backfired.

thanks for the points, guys.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not arguing with you, just responding - I sorta presumed that posting your opinion publicly (if a bit vaguely) meant you were up for that sorta thing...? :huh:

Haha, as you say, never mind. :rolleyes: :)

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
nah, i know he's not in a serious way. my point is just that we, all of us, differ on what we think of them, and i'm very aware of it, and fine with it, that's all.

in other words, what i'm saying is that i don't really see them as "reputation" points because what i see as relevant to having a good rep is just different than some others.

so, i naturally don't take them for what their name suggests they're for.

they seem more like a mixture of really short PMs and popularity points than anything else.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Some of my points were planned "pity fucks" and the rest are legitimate kudos. I give them for amusing or well thought out posts and sometimes I use it to send a quick message to another user.

they seem more like a mixture of really short PMs and popularity points than anything else.
Totally.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
in other words, what i'm saying is that i don't really see them as "reputation" points because what i see as relevant to having a good rep is just different than some others.

so, i naturally just don't take them for what their name suggests they're for by based on own personal definition.

Oh, I'd actually kinda agree. But I'd say it's probably half and half, as far as content-based reps go, vs. more of your PM/chit-chatty rep points. This is for both reps I have received, and reps I give. I certainly appreciate the content-based reps more, but hey, I like em all!! :)

I think it has some other beneficial effects. I don't think anything negative can come from affirming someone (which I see as quite distinct from 'pitying') or sending a quick note if you like what someone posted.

Truthfully I only do a few reps a day (if that) so personally I am very particular about when I rep. I don't just do it on a whim.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh, I'd actually kinda agree. But I'd say it's probably half and half, as far as content-based reps go, vs. more of your PM/chit-chatty rep points. This is for both reps I have received, and reps I give. I certainly appreciate the content-based reps more, but hey, I like em all!! :)

i think it's the terminology that causes me to shrug off how many i, personally, may or may not have. that said, i'm also quite aware that everyone has their own version of what constitutes a 'good rep'.

so, while i think it's cool and sweet when i get them, as it's nice when people take the time, i still take them as little PMs.

actually, perhaps i'm also explaining to others why they don't have a truckload of points from me.

IT'S NOT BECAUSE I DON'T THINK YOU'RE A GREAT PERSON!

I think it has some other beneficial effects. I don't think anything negative can come from affirming someone or sending a quick note if you like what someone posted.

i never said anything negative came of it. i just said why i don't think about them at all... personally.

Truthfully I only do a few reps a day (if that) so personally I am very particular about when I rep. I don't just do it on a whim.

you consider a few a day 'being particular'?

wow.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
you consider a few a day 'being particular'?

wow.

haha. Well, yes. Because there are probably hundreds of posts a day, and so say I read 50 - then a few is particular.

There are days I don't rep at all. Or days where there are several insightful posts...in which case I'll rep more. So averaging it out...sure, a few a day. :)

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
haha. Well, yes. Because there are probably hundreds of posts a day, and so say I read 50 - then a few is particular.

seriously, compared to me, you're a freak. or, vice versa.

There are days I don't rep at all. Or days where there are several insightful posts...in which case I'll rep more. So averaging it out...sure, a few a day. :)

see, when i see a lot of insightful posts, i default to nodding in agreement where no one can see. repping in that situation gets lost as my focus becomes greater. to stop reading and rep while that focused (especially just to say "LOL") would feel like mental constipation.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hit that rep system like a $2 ho and I won't even lie.

Kiss me, baby!! :D

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
seriously, compared to me, you're a freak. or, vice versa.

see, when i see a lot of insightful posts, i default to nodding in agreement where no one can see. repping in that situation gets lost as my focus becomes greater. to stop reading and rep while that focused (especially just to say "LOL") would feel like mental constipation.

Right, right. Otherwise why are they called "reputation" points? It isn't "I read your post" points!

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Oh, and another thing.

They aren't rep points because virtually no-one bothers with neg rep. All they are is points based on posting frequency. In practice the more posts, the more rep. Not, better posts, just frequency.

I'm not saying a few people don't use it to record good posts, but from what I've seen I don't get rep points for good posts, I get them for just posting.

Oh, and let's be honest, I would have wound a few people who use the rep system a lot up by querying the need for fluff, and yet no neg rep at all... so are we using this system properly?

(sure, go ahead, you know you want to :devil: :devil:)

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Right, right. Otherwise why are they called "reputation" points? It isn't "I read your post" points!

*reps geoff: "i totally just read your post."*

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I just see it as a way to send PM without leaving the thread...Just saying hey your post touched me and I felt like saying this.

*reps heart: "LOL"*

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's our winner.

I think the ranges should be increased so that hitting the top level is nearly impossible.

The highest repped person right now should have no more than two green bars.