• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

methods of motivation

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
From the other side of the desk, if I ever yell at one of my subordinates, I'll put myself in a psychiatric hospital, right after presenting my resingnation. No joking.

His yelling is just a way to release the stress caused by his own incompetence. He shouldn't be in a managerial position in the first place.

The "carrot or stick" approach is stupid.

I motivate my employees by making them understand how important they are to the institution, and hearing their work-related needs. And solving the ones I can. The others, I talk to the person who has to solve them. And make him/her do it. I don't make stupid promises (like outrageous raises or quick promotions, which just don't exist), like the ones which are common practice in sales departments.

When I need to set someone straight, I just do it, one-to-one talk, in the most civilized and diplomatic way possible. If it is a major offence, I go for punishment. If it is a minor mistake, I always try to find out why that person is not working well and, according to what he/she says, I make him suggestions on how to do his work properly, but I state clearly that I don't give second chances. Many "old school" (carrot and stick) bosses may think I'm too bland, but, as a boss, I know that my subordinates' mistakes are my mistakes.

Last edited:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
If you're aware that it's fabricated, how does it still work? :huh: Or, if you had to consciously construct it yourself, I wonder the reasons...

I only ask because it sounds familiar; I'm not trying to be rude.

Because it plays on real fears of being incompetent, useless, etc. If I paint myself as such, I am motivated to become otherwise and escape that place. :shrug:

It's weird but it's the only thing I've found that works. The unfortunate side effect is that success diminishes this type of motivation, but once you get some momentum going that can carry you through.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
(1) Money (As in "I get $X if I complete tasks A, B, and C" - OR - even better "I get X% of whatever I bring in.")

(2) Sex

(3) Prizes (We're talking vvacations or super nice electronics, no gift certificates to Wal-Mart)

(4) Bragging Rights

(5) Betterment of something I believe in is the most powerful of all... :yes:

:yes:

Yelling at me is the very best way to cause me to tune you out completely from that point on. Having a mother who liked to yell, I'm really good at this. Yelling accomplishes zero when it comes to motivation. If that was the actual intent, the person doing the yelling in a management position is the one who requires retraining.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Ugh. Bosses can be so dumb when they think threats, humiliation and bullying are the best way to get things done. They may work to a certain degree, but they definitely hinder creativity and pizzazz.