• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Night Owls Are More Intelligent

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Smarter -> better education -> more money -> laxer work schedule & more hours worked

This is the most likely mechanism, the fact that there's no correlation during weekends further supports this conclusion.

rav3n

What if you stay up very late, and wake up very early? Does that make a difference?
Same here. Even if I'm still awake at 4 a.m., I still get up before 9 a.m. in the morning. Don't need much sleep.

Usehername

On a mission
I have a simple theory on why this is: a more active brain takes longer to shut down, and often doesn't want to.

I think you're right.

Also, I find I have trouble focusing because I mentally drift to deconstruct social interactions from the day until about 7pmish, and after that I stop, because I've got it solved from as many different angles as I could.

Maybe this is just Ni.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why Night Owls Are More Intelligent than Morning Larks
More intelligent people wake up late and stay up late

Net of a large number of social and demographic factors, more intelligent children tend to grow up to be more nocturnal as adults than less intelligent children. Compared to their less intelligent counterparts, more intelligent individuals tend to go to bed later on weeknights (when they have to get up at a certain time the next day) and on weekends (when they don’t), and they wake up later on weekdays.

Fixed.

Also, correlation does not imply causation... Which makes me think whoever came up with that article is probably a poor stastician.

I laugh at the title of the article too. Nowhere within the article was I told "Why Night Owls Are More Intelligent than Morning Larks." That being said, the original quote probably doesn't constitute the whole article.

EDIT: I didn't mean any harm in saying those things by the way; I'm just amusing myself. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Same here. Even if I'm still awake at 4 a.m., I still get up before 9 a.m. in the morning. Don't need much sleep.

Researchers say that people who sleep 5 to 6 hours live longer then people who sleep a full 8 so thats good. :) :solidarity:

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Researchers say that people who sleep 5 to 6 hours live longer then people who sleep a full 8 so thats good. :) :solidarity:

Yes!!! :solidarity::solidarity::solidarity:

I win at life! :cheers: :smoke: :2ar15:

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Smarter -> better education -> more money -> laxer work schedule & more hours worked

This is the most likely mechanism, the fact that there's no correlation during weekends further supports this conclusion.

This.

How it took 3 pages for someone to say this, I have no idea.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Smarter -> better education

/fail

being smart doesent mean that you will automatically get a good education. being well educated does how ever mean that you have much information, but thats a whole different thing than being actually a smart person

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
/fail

being smart doesent mean that you will automatically get a good education. being well educated does how ever mean that you have much information, but thats a whole different thing than being actually a smart person

agreed. I didn't even know how to address his assertion that smart people always have a better education a good job and more money, or that even having more education makes one "smarter"...those actually appear to very SJ methods of measuring intelligence

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
/fail

It's not a fail. On average, smarter people do get better education - that's a fact. Sure, this doesn't hold for each individual, however most studies average out individual effects, so the relationship between "smartness" and "education" will generally hold, if their sample was well-selected.

agreed. I didn't even know how to address his assertion that smart people always have a better education a good job and more money, or that even having more education makes one "smarter"...those actually appear to very SJ methods of measuring intelligence

No, you didn't understand my post. I never said that smart people always have a better education. Statistically however - thus, on average - they do have a better education, there's a large amount of studies that have been carried out on the subject matter - what causes being "smart" isn't my concern now, it's sufficient that my definition collimates with the one being used in the original.

No, education doesn't make you any smarter - I never implied such causation either (again: smarter people on average have better education, having better education on average leads to jobs with laxer work schedules - that's all I'm saying).

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's not a fail. On average, smarter people do get better education - that's a fact. Sure, this doesn't hold for each individual, however most studies average out individual effects, so the relationship between "smartness" and "education" will generally hold, if their sample was well-selected.

No, you didn't understand my post. I never said that smart people always have a better education. Statistically however - thus, on average - they do have a better education, there's a large amount of studies that have been carried out on the subject matter - what causes being "smart" isn't my concern now, it's sufficient that my definition collimates with the one being used in the original.

No, education doesn't make you any smarter - I never implied such causation either (again: smarter people on average have better education, having better education on average leads to jobs with laxer work schedules - that's all I'm saying).

if something is fact average, it doesent mean that it would be the whole truth. therefore you fail if you think that fact by average is the truth. therefore the relationship of education and being smart does not hold, since its only so in some cases. it doesent matter if its so by 75 or 90%, its still true only on some cases, so it only holds when you look at it by average, but since average does not equal truth, it is not the truth.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
if something is fact average, it doesent mean that it would be the whole truth. therefore you fail if you think that fact by average is the truth. therefore the relationship of education and being smart does not hold, since its only so in some cases. it doesent matter if its so by 75 or 90%, its still true only on some cases, so it only holds when you look at it by average, but since average does not equal truth, it is not the truth.

The same is valid for whatever's been said by the study linked by the original poster. So, it's still a valid refutation, because we start from the same set of premises. The relationship between being smart and education (NOT the reverse, as you wrongy say) still holds on average. I understand your objection, but you're definitely nitpicking - we're not trying to discover a new physical law, in which case we would need a 100 % correspondence. "Social" sciences are fuzzier (unfortunately) - there's nothing which holds in 100% of the cases.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The same is valid for whatever's been said by the study linked by the original poster. So, it's still a valid refutation, because we start from the same set of premises. The relationship between being smart and education (NOT the reverse, as you wrongy say) still holds on average. I understand your objection, but you're definitely nitpicking - we're not trying to discover a new physical law, in which case we would need a 100 % correspondence. "Social" sciences are fuzzier (unfortunately) - there's nothing which holds in 100% of the cases.

statistics that are measured by average only give you guidance for the truth, its not the truth itself. its just the fact about average, not fact on the truth.

imo being smart means that you get this kind of stuff and that you realize that something by average is not the truth. if you mix these two things, it will lead you to wrong conclusions about the full truth, therefore its not smart to mix these two things together.

social sciences measure averages(atleast usually), its not meant to even find the whole truth.

im not nitpicking, im just providing you the information that your Te leaves out and leads you to make ignorant conclusions

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
statistics that are measured by average only give you guidance for the truth, its not the truth itself. its just the fact about average, not fact on the truth.

imo being smart means that you get this kind of stuff and that you realize that something by average is not the truth. if you mix these two things, it will lead you to wrong conclusions about the full truth, therefore its not smart to mix these two things together.

social sciences measure averages(atleast usually), its not meant to even find the whole truth.

im not nitpicking, im just providing you the information that your Te leaves out and leads you to make ignorant conclusions

Sorry but I know perfectly well what you're talking about, you don't need to provide me with this extremely basic information in such a condescending fashion, I was aware of it of since middle school.

The problem here is that we don't have (yet) a precise way to reconstruct "molecular" truth up to how each everyday happening takes place, thus we need to use (by their nature, "incorrect") statistical methods. We can also opt not to use them & avoid discussing everything which results from them, yet if that were the case this forum wouldn't exist either, since MBTI isn't "true" the way you want any given theory to be "true".

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sorry but I know perfectly well what you're talking about, you don't need to provide me with this extremely basic information in such a condescending fashion, I was aware of it of since middle school.

The problem here is that we don't have (yet) a precise way to reconstruct "molecular" truth up to how each everyday happening takes place, thus we need to use (by their nature, "incorrect") statistical methods. We can also opt not to use them & avoid discussing everything which results from them, yet if that were the case this forum wouldn't exist either, since MBTI isn't "true" the way you want any given theory to be "true".

but the deal here is that you said that being smart leads to good education. this is only a fact when you look at statistics that are based on average. but since its not the truth and you get to conclusions using information about statistics as if it was the truth you fail. and you fail even harder if you know that those are two totally different things and still get to false conclusions.