• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Psychology of Fashion

rav3n

None that aren't tied to appearances. Well, apart from comfort. It can only be used for fashion or for function. Or for both.
Can you also define "appearances"? This will help me understand your perspective.

No. It really is about people spending energy in the wrong endeavors.
Right or wrong, subjective elements.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Can you also define "appearances"? This will help me understand your perspective.

"the way that someone or something looks"

Right or wrong, subjective elements.

You've got that right. My post was expressing personal opinion. I have no problem with people liking fashion or clothes or whatever...it just saddens me the concern with appearances is so widespread and natural in our society.

rav3n

"the way that someone or something looks"
Maybe it's just my interpretation but we've gotten into a circular discussion. Let me reframe my question. What are the reasons why, as defined by yourself, that appearances matter? Take it a little deeper than a circular argument.
I have no problem with people liking fashion or clothes or whatever...it just saddens me the concern with appearances is so widespread and natural in our society.
You've got my agreement on this statement, in that extremism of any form is most often unhealthy.

But the degree you're expressing, isn't the degree I've been expressing.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Maybe it's just my interpretation but we've gotten into a circular discussion. Let me reframe my question. What are the reasons why, as defined by yourself, that appearances matter? Take it a little deeper than a circular argument.

I wasn't aware you had asked me any such thing before. And I didn't talk about appearances in isolation. I talked about them in the context of this thread, which is about fashion. So I'm mainly addressing fashion.

How does fashion matter to me? Not much if at all. I don't care to dress too originally (so making statements is not my thing) or cool or attractively. And others' fashion sense doesn't really sway me.

But the degree you're expressing, isn't the degree I've been expressing.

You don't know that. Appearances exist and serves us insofar as we are visual beings. It's a fact of life. My original comment was mainly expressing how I wish appearances mattered less.

rav3n

I wasn't aware you had asked me any such thing before. And I didn't talk about appearances in isolation. I talked about them in the context of this thread, which is about fashion. So I'm mainly addressing fashion.

How does fashion matter to me? Not much if at all. I don't care to dress too originally (so making statements is not my thing) or cool or attractively. And others' fashion sense doesn't really sway me.
Repositioning by realigning to fashion in its purest sense. Avoidance or misunderstanding? Can you answer my question in reference to the term "appearances"?

You don't know that. Appearances exist and serves us insofar as we are visual beings. It's a fact of life. My original comment was mainly expressing how I wish appearances mattered less.
Your reference to society is key in ascertaining your position within this discussion. The key word for my position is "flattering" with the caveat "within reason".

Yes, you did express disapproval for anyone expressing that appearances matter. What you haven't defined is why appearances matter, especially as it relates to being flattering.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Repositioning by realigning to fashion in its purest sense. Avoidance or misunderstanding? Can you answer my question in reference to the term "appearances"?

:huh:

There's often more to things than meets the eye. I'd like people to be more aware of that than they tend to be. Is it really that hard to understand?

Your reference to society is key in ascertaining your position within this discussion. The key word for my position is "flattering" with the caveat "within reason".

Yes, you did express disapproval for anyone expressing that appearances matter. What you haven't defined is why appearances matter, especially as it relates to being flattering.

Wtf. Where exactly?

And I haven't defined why appearances matter? You mean in general or in terms of fashion? I wasn't writing a thesis on it. I just commented I think people pay too much importance to it. Live their lives too much based on stuff like that.

I don't know what you are trying to find here. What, something like me having an image complex and being mad people don't respond to my appearance or something lol?

rav3n

Okay, nevermind. We're both coming at this from a different angle. When I look at your perspective of societal wholes putting too much emphasis on fashion and appearances, I agree.

Where we diverge is your understanding of my position where flattering within reason, can be beneficial and shouldn't always be viewed in the negative due to motivation or underlying reasons why people indulge in this.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Where we diverge is your understanding of my position where flattering within reason, can be beneficial and shouldn't always be viewed in the negative due to motivation or underlying reasons why people indulge in this.

Well the motivation and underlying reasons are often the source of why people put too much emphasis on fashion and appearances in the first place. It's a fact it's beneficial. It's beneficial because the system works this way.

rav3n

Well the motivation and underlying reasons are often the source of why people put too much emphasis on fashion and appearances in the first place. It's a fact it's beneficial. It's beneficial because the system works this way.
Is this systemic or instinctual evolution?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Is this systemic or instinctual evolution?

It's both. But human history since the first homo sapiens sapiens is full of examples of why some instincts should be overcome. And also full of example of how some systems can slow that process.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ I agree with you, Brother Quinlan. Live and let live. Why be so critical of petty shite like fashion? I think its yet another way for people with inflated self importance to boost their fragile egos by denigrating others. :thumbdown:
Yes, everyone has the right to waste their time and money on looking stupid in public. If nothing else, it often makes for free entertainment.