• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Make Believe

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Once upon a time I studied in an institution.

One of my professors was an expert of the Etruscan studies.
Etruscan studies?
Of the Etruscans we know nothing.

Where did the Etruscans come from? What was their language?
Why they had the most advanced civilization in their time?
Where they had learned to plumb? To build water pipe networks?
Central heating? Modern bathrooms? Post delivery? The construction of roads?
The employment of the perspective in drawing? Realistic sculpture?

How can you be an expert of the Etruscan studies?
What studies?

The words are in the song.
Nobody knows.

Enneagram 3. What is it?

What is the difference between the deliberate image builder and the unconscious image builder?
The explicit difference between the charlatan and the poet?

Toss the coin.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Your thread is very philosophical or theoretical or something. I don't know what you are asking so I don't know what to answer.

But because I want to post to this thread, I just want to say that it is interesting to read the threads you start because they are always something totally different than in other threads. :)

Last edited:

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I understand that frequently the way you write is the only way to fully encompass what you actually mean. I just wish I could understand it, because I would probably be one step closer to enlightenment. I'm being totally serious.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Your thread is very philosophical or theoretical or something. I don't know what you are asking so I don't know what to answer.

But because I want to post to this thread, I just want to say that it is interesting to read the threads you start because they are always something totally different than in other threads. :)
Thank you.

What I wanted to say is this. You can be an expert on Greek and Roman history and languages. They exist. You can see their culture and language from the inside. Through their language and literature you can reach them.

Etruscan is not deciphered. And even if it were, there is no material to work on. Just a few scattered sentences here and there.

There is no Etruscan studies. It is a sham.

The idea is to make a persona. Behind the persona there is no face.

The Etruscans are respected. The expert of the Etruscan studies is also respected.

It is a way to get power and money. People do not know that the Etruscan culture and history and language cannot be examined.
You can go through all the Etruscan studies in a day.

The expert of the Etruscan studies was a deliberate image builder. A charlatan.

Ingmar Bergman made movies. He was a master of Make Believe.
His father was a priest. He was punished as a child because he told stories.

Stories of course are not true.
Etruscan studies are true.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
very interesting wildcat- your threads are always like my first sip of Guarana soda to me- somehow familiar, but I can never quite pin them down :sad:

Etruscan studies would be studying a people who nobody CAN understand- no matter what- all of the Etruscans are dead or long long since assimilated, therefore thier culture no longer exists and all we have left of them are the bones of thier civilization

studying Etruscan society is like studying humanity through the left over bones- it requires a lot of imagination

A type 3 is a self made person- a chameleon of sorts if you will- who is quite difficult to understand as well since what you have to study is what they give you to study- rather like studying covert government operations in an academic setting- you'll never get the unflattering papers to study

An enneagram type 3 has the flesh though that the Etruscan civilization no longer has- you can observe them much like Jane Goodall with the Gorillas and come to some type of understanding- the Etruscans are all dead and gone- we'll never have that opportunity again :(

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I understand that frequently the way you write is the only way to fully encompass what you actually mean. I just wish I could understand it, because I would probably be one step closer to enlightenment. I'm being totally serious.
For the sake of enlightenment (in the disguise of Alcearos The Rousseau and Metamorphosis The Voltaire) I have tried to be more explicit.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
very interesting wildcat- your threads are always like my first sip of Guarana soda to me- somehow familiar, but I can never quite pin them down :sad:

Etruscan studies would be studying a people who nobody CAN understand- no matter what- all of the Etruscans are dead or long long since assimilated, therefore thier culture no longer exists and all we have left of them are the bones of thier civilization

studying Etruscan society is like studying humanity through the left over bones- it requires a lot of imagination

A type 3 is a self made person- a chameleon of sorts if you will- who is quite difficult to understand as well since what you have to study is what they give you to study- rather like studying covert government operations in an academic setting- you'll never get the unflattering papers to study

An enneagram type 3 has the flesh though that the Etruscan civilization no longer has- you can observe them much like Jane Goodall with the Gorillas and come to some type of understanding- the Etruscans are all dead and gone- we'll never have that opportunity again :(
How true. The Etruscans are dead.

But the Greeks and the Romans are alive because we can read their language.
Only after we have gone the Greeks and the Romans will be gone.

Only the gods live forever.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Thank you.

What I wanted to say is this. You can be an expert on Greek and Roman history and languages. They exist. You can see their culture and language from the inside. Through their language and literature you can reach them.

Etruscan is not deciphered. And even if it were, there is no material to work on. Just a few scattered sentences here and there.

The Etruscans are respected. The expert of the Etruscan studies is also respected.

It is a way to get power and money. People do not know that the Etruscan culture and history and language cannot be examined.

Now it makes more sense! Thank you for explaining. :)

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
here is a more applicable (albeit probably unpopular) question: do people participate in a forum to spend time deciphering unnecessary vagueness or to actually discuss things?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Thank you.

So what you're saying is that this person is making up everything about the Etruscans because nothing is actually known, and selling it to people who don't know any better? That seems a bit devious on their part.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
So what you're saying is that this person is making up everything about the Etruscans because nothing is actually known, and selling it to people who don't know any better? That seems a bit devious on their part.
Who are they?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I meant that the person who claimed to knowledge they didn't have for their own gain was devious.
Understood.
It is better now.

You can still make it better.
You write well. Sometimes you pack a sentence.

A minor fault.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
here is a more applicable (albeit probably unpopular) question: do people participate in a forum to spend time deciphering unnecessary vagueness or to actually discuss things?
After many long discussions and periods of banging my head on the table trying to pin down what is in front of me (I truely love Whatever's description of reading these posts, soo true and so poetic) I can honestly say that at many point trying to understand Wildcat has been some of the best moments. It's not a matter of someone saying 2+2=4 it's the whys and wherefores wrapped in a hint of a clue to what puzzle is being looked at. It's brought some of the best moments of clarity and epiphany that I've known.

I would however agree that at some points you read and just go "What?". I tend to do that now though and smile knowing there's more and then set out like Sherlock, the game is afoot and I'm loving it (and periodically swearing my head off at it :rofl1: ).

:D
------------------------------------

To more on the subject matters (it's taken me this long to convince myself my interpretation was correct this time).

Not even gods live forever and to be an expert in Etruscans (not that I have a singular clue who they are) is the same as being an expert in the history of say Franciscan weaponry. No one alive was there so the knowledge is passed on and interpreted. Does it really matter how the knowledge is passed on as long as attempts are made to verify it and find the path from then to now. Can you really say you know anyone who actually knows how a Guisarme was used?

I'll keep schtum on type 3s. I don't think I know any.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
What is the difference between the deliberate image builder and the unconscious image builder?
The explicit difference between the charlatan and the poet?

Toss the coin.

If one paints to be seen and another paints to not be seen, but sees the work himself, is he really painting to not be seen?
Or maybe he is painting to be serendipitously seen?
Or intuitively seen?
Which may not really be seen at all.

Or maybe he is even painting to hide?
Trying to hide something which should not be seen.

Maybe he does not even realize he is painting?