• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How are you eccentric?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
My random connections in conversation make me eccentric. What about you?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I don't know about you..

But I just got called technical and bizarre..

I think I am pretty archaic and rather normal in a boring sort of way.

So who defines if we are eccentric??.. Certainly not ourselves.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I don't know about you..

But I just got called technical and bizarre..

I think I am pretty archaic and rather normal in a boring sort of way.

So who defines if we are eccentric??.. Certainly not ourselves.

Sure you do. You know what's normal, and you know how you're different. So how is it?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
In that case.. I am normal and most of the rest of you are freaks :D

gromit

likes this
Some people have called me 'eccentric'. I don't know why.

gromit

likes this
In that case.. I am normal and most of the rest of you are freaks :D

Hahaha... I remember my dad saying that after a dance performance once when my sis was bummed out about making a mistake. 'No, you did it right. All the other girls messed up.'

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Hahaha... I remember my dad saying that after a dance performance once when my sis was bummed out about making a mistake. 'No, you did it right. All the other girls messed up.'

See? :laugh: Oh Grommy, If I could carry you around in my pocket I would never leave home without you

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
how do you measure eccentricity? And how do you observe your own eccentricity? Isnt that the entire point of eccentricity that it is only observational from a external source, another person but yourself?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
how do you measure eccentricity? And how do you observe your own eccentricity? Isnt that the entire point of eccentricity that it is only observational from a external source, another person but yourself?

It's measured by others.. It's also relative and dependent on the society or culture one is in.
A woman with streaks of pink,green and blue in her hair at business meeting might be considered eccentric.. However if she is at a punk rock concert, she'll be pretty normal.

WoodsWoman

MBTI Type
INFP
I live on the edge of accepted societal norms for my geographic area. I am an edge dweller. They don't know what to make of me - and write me off as terminally odd. They call me eccentric if they are being nice.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
It's measured by others.. It's also relative and dependent on the society or culture one is in.
A woman with streaks of pink,green and blue in her hair at business meeting might be considered eccentric.. However if she is at a punk rock concert, she'll be pretty normal.

how did that answer the questions?

And as I was trying to imply in the post you commented on my premise was how can I explain my own eccentricity?

I live on the edge of accepted societal norms for my geographic area. I am an edge dweller. They don't know what to make of me - and write me off as terminally odd. They call me eccentric if they are being nice.

Definition of ECCENTRIC
a : deviating from an established or usual pattern or style <eccentric products>

b : deviating from conventional or accepted usage or conduct especially in odd or whimsical ways <an eccentric millionaire>

I can see your point WoodsWoman and I agree that I can see from interactions with other people that Im outside of the norm. But how Im eccentric? I have no idea, it must be up to others to tell me.

And what is the difference between eccentricity and special interests quirks, but other than that application to "normal" established norms. For example if you are a "normal" male 30-35 year old man but with an interests for comic books. Does that make you eccentric?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
how did that answer the questions?

And as I was trying to imply in the post you commented on my premise was how can I explain my own eccentricity?

Hmm well.. You asked who or what defines eccentricity.. So I agreed that others define it. I then gave an example of it's relativity and it dependence on culture and society to define what it is. Eccentricity is in the eye of the beholder. One person's freak is another person's example of normality.

I am not sure what you find confusing about my response.:shrug:

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
Hmm well.. You asked who or what defines eccentricity.. So I agreed that others define it. I then gave an example of it's relativity and it dependence on culture and society to define what it is. Eccentricity is in the eye of the beholder. One person's freak is another person's example of normality.

I am not sure what you find confusing about my response.:shrug:

I updated my last post. Its one of my quirks on this forum :newwink:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not, at least I don't think I am. I do get strange looks when I discuss my interests and personal preferences and habits, but in Nebraska strange looks aren't hard to come by.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
from my perspective I would agree, you seem to be like a normal person among many others. Theres not much special/eccentric qualities to you.

You got me...I don't know how to take that comment :laugh:

Mole

Permabanned
The Pale Purple Headband

My random connections in conversation make me eccentric. What about you?

I wear a pale purple head band because it suits the colour of my long hair as well as keeping my hair in place.

And I wear a well cut suit with a business shirt, and with a scarf instead of a tie.

And on my feet I wear black Crocs.

And I have a long moustache which I stroke to comfort myself.

And of course I write every day to Central.

Fortunately we have a tradition of accepting eccentricity which I think we inherited from the British Aristocracy.