• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cringing

G

garbage

Someone tells you of some sort of physical injury that happened to them--they just had surgery, they almost accidentally pried their thumbnail off with a screwdriver, etc.

What's your initial reaction?

Do you cringe physically, do you feel some pain yourself, do you wonder why the injury occurred, do you wonder what the context of the injury is... ?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My imagination 'puts me in the situation,' I experience it vicariously, meaning I imagine the situation followed by the pain, and cringe IRL at my mental imagery. Weird, huh? :huh:

And yet I cannot stop this from happening because it is an involuntary mental reaction. And if I imagine everything powerfully and vividly enough, I can even tear (i.e. not cry, but have water welling up).

It's the same principle as tearing when watching certain movie scenes. Except my imagination is much more vivid and quite powerful, eliciting a stronger reaction than the initial story or movie warrants. It often embarrasses me afterwards.

P

Phantonym

I do cringe physically. It's not pain per se, but a very strong sensation of having goosebumps or waves of coldness and hotness wrapping me inside of them and going through my body simultaneously. Completely involuntary, happens in an instant. And I get queasy just by thinking about the whole thing, it's like the images of events leading to the injury, during it and after it go through my mind within a second. It's not so much seeing vivid and detailed images in my mind, it's more like having a very intense feeling of being the person getting injured.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yeah... I also think of what it must be like to have my thumbnail pried up or whatever and it's rather shudderworthy... of course, were I there, I'd cringe and then start questioning how on earth they'd done it :laugh:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can get all queasy and light headed even..mit depends on what it is but yeah it's way embarrassing. I hate it. :blush:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Someone tells you of some sort of physical injury that happened to them--they just had surgery, they almost accidentally pried their thumbnail off with a screwdriver, etc.

Do you cringe physically, do you feel some pain yourself, do you wonder why the injury occurred, do you wonder what the context of the injury is... ?

Honestly, I have always been totally immune to gore.

It's a damn shame I have no attention span whatsoever, because I would have been a hell of a trauma surgeon.

My reaction to such incidents is "Nooo way! AWESOME!" :cheese:

F

figsfiggyfigs

I almost fainted reading that. thanks.

I have a HUGE phobia of anything "finger nail" related... oh god..I'm feeling queasy now.

anything else is free game. I rarely get grossed out otherwise..

OH , one scene comes to mind. The huge pus-filled snake bite in the movie Snakes on a plane.
Some fuck started fake gagging in the middle of that scene( in theaters) and then I automatically started gagging as well :laugh:

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I usually feel some pain/numbness myself...

I remember when I was really little... My parents were having a rather graphic conversation about an elderly relative having to have their leg off.... When I got out of the car they were both laughing hysterically cos I had to practically drag my leg along as it had gone all numb and was all pins and needles! Horrible!

rav3n

First reaction, empathetic cringing and sympathy for the individual experiencing the pain. Next reaction, how did this happen? Which is an unsympathetic reaction in that it's pointlessly invasive curiosity.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OH , one scene comes to mind. The huge pus-filled snake bite in the movie Snakes on a plane.
Some fuck started fake gagging in the middle of that scene( in theaters) and then I automatically started gagging as well :laugh:

You should've puked on that rat bastard. :sick:
:yim_rolling_on_the_

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
I want to know how it happened, what they were doing for them to be in said situation. Then empathetic cringing.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I do that sympathy-cringe thing. I wouldn't say I feel the pain myself, but if someone tells me they accidentally hit their nose with a hammer, it obviously hurt.

It's just a way of sympathizing/relating to their misery so I don't come off like a jerk.

And yes, I do wonder about the details. lol

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I wonder what the fuck they were thinking doing that.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I rarely cringe. For some reason the only thing that does make me cringe often is imagining precise cuts to muscles/tendons that just leave the body unable to move/dangling.