• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Acting based on feelings etc.

Coco

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
In tests (even which kind of hot chocolate (not coffee!) cup are you), there's always questions like "Do you trust reason or feelings", "your actions are influenced by your emotions", ect.

But what does it means exactly? I have no idea if I trust my reason or my feelings. xD

Does anyone have examples or something?

Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In tests (even wich kind of hot chocolate (not coffee!) cup are you), there's always questions like "Do you trust reason or feelings", "your actions are influenced by your emotions", ect.

But what does it means exactly? I have no idea if I trust my reason or my feelings. xD

Does anyone have examples or something?

Thank you :)
I always trust reason above all, but my actions are sometimes influenced by my feelings as well as my values (related to MBTI feeling function, which is not the same as emotions). I see reason as a process, and feelings and values just some among the many inputs to that process. I trust that, if I follow a rational process in analyzing these various and sometimes conflicting inputs, I will make the best decision for me in the circumstance.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
It's a weird and simplistic question. My reasoning are my feelings and vice versa. At least when it comes to dealing with people in everyday life.

KDude

Feeling is not emotions exactly. It trickles down to even small, fairly unemotional choices in life. If I was grocery shopping, and needed deodorant, I would find myself gazing upon dozens of different brands, unsure and overwhelmed (there really shouldn't be that much deodorant, should there?). I would make one logically oriented choice to limit my options: Anti-perspirant is better than plain deodorant. I don't see the point of plain deodorant if it doesn't prevent sweating. Now it's all about aesthetics. The Fi area. If I was a T, I probably would be paying attention to price, or taking some other objective factor into the equation. Me? This is where I start wondering if I feel like having the essense of an "Irish Breeze" or an "Artic Blast" under my armpits. Which one reflects.. my sense of lifestyle somehow? The whole Irish thing is cool, but I'm not sure if I could play that "role" for too long. And Artic Blast.. I start realizing that I've never wished for that anyways. I don't know what demographic that is appealing to. People weirder than me. But then, I see Old Spice. Just the name itself, and the packaging, signifies a little more refinement. In a funny way, it appeals to feelings I have. Close enough. Logically, I know they're all the same, but Fi has a sort of tug to make a value oriented choice. And....of course, it's about ethics and other issues with deeper consequences, but deodorant is serious business.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Those tests confuse emotion with feeling, which in the MBTI sense is a form of rational reasoning that is focused on meaning and significance over dry logic.
Feelers often seem more emotional because emotions are useful signals to Feelers in determining what is important to them personally. With thinking, emotions play less of a role, but that does not mean the Thinking person is not influenced by emotion.

KDude

Yeah.. take the F artist. Do people really think they are making the smallest decisions (down to the mix in the palette or what brush strokes they feel like using) strictly on emotion? Feeling is slightly different. If it was just emotion, they probably couldn't operate.