• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Male or female?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Another member asked me once, was I male or female. I realized I never did answer. Before doing so, I'd like to see what people think.

More to the point, in the absence of obvious clues or self-identification, what causes you to think a member is male or female, just from their writing? Is content or style more telling? To what degree are you influenced by type or profession/major, if stated? Are your guesses usually correct?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That question coming from an INTJ = female.
That question coming from an INFP = male.

Although I don't usually tend to presume. I go off their profile if they have it listed, their welcome thread if they noted it, or what other people are referring to them as, if none of those points help I remain vague.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Plus what people talk about. I would assume a guy would be less likely to talk about 'drama', for example...that's a terrible example...but I just get 'vibes'. :shrug:

To me, you seem female, possibly because women are more likely to bring up gender in a discussion...but it could also be just a 'vibe', and I could also be entirely wrong. :D

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend not to think of gender most of the time when reading other people's posts, unless it directly relates to the topic. I actually only thought of it in relation to myself when I scanned my visitor messages and saw the unanswered question. That got me wondering what people would assume based upon my (or anyone's) writing, with no other information, and on what they would base their assumptions.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i guess i usually just leave it open until i've heard them say something that indicates one over the other but i've been wrong a few times when i attempted to guess.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Honestly, I don't know your gender. You come across as pretty androgynous to me.

I've made the mistake in the past of guessing someone's gender based on their choice of username and avatars. And I've been wrong a few times doing that. For example, I was surprised to find Mr. Cockburn was actually a female.

I know multiple times, people have wrongly guessed I was a male. Maybe it is my choice of username/avatar, my posting style. Most likely, its just because I'm a female T.

rav3n

Another member asked me once, was I male or female. I realized I never did answer. Before doing so, I'd like to see what people think.
Honest guess would be male but since you're asking, probably female.

More to the point, in the absence of obvious clues or self-identification, what causes you to think a member is male or female, just from their writing? Is content or style more telling? To what degree are you influenced by type or profession/major, if stated? Are your guesses usually correct?
It's both content and style that cause me to gender ass-ume.

Profession or major don't matter at all. This is the Internetz where what people say, they don't do.

Most often, my guesses are correct. But I've also been incorrect more than enough times.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are a couple comments to the effect that women are more likely to ask questions about gender. Why? Is gender just of more interest to women usually? Is there a difference between online and RL?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Online unless someone has an overtly "feminine" presence ie girly name, avatar or way of expressing themselves the assumption is often made that they are male. As the old saying goes "there are no women online". :shrug:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Usually by tone and context.

However, I've been wrong before.
(e.g., thinking MacGuffin was a guy.)

There's enough people in the gender overlap area that they simply fit better with the generalized form of the other gender.

Devil Flamingo

Kultainen Kuningas
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's hard to say, XD. I've been wrong about it before, but overall I don't fret too much. I don't always go by avatars, even though they can influence my opinion, for obvious reasons, i.e. people thinking I'm female, just because I have a fairy princess for an avatar. ;D

Big mistake, lolo. Are men (gay or not) not allowed to like faeries, or find them beautiful and intriguing? XDDD Really now...

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do most people, then (or at least forum members) not care much whether someone posting is male or female, unless it is directly relevant to the topic? I have to admit, I don't think about it that often myself. I try to see people first and foremost as human beings, with any other distinctions being secondary, even IRL. Obviously this is easier on a forum where we just see each other's typed words, plus an occasional avatar.

Mitzy

brat
MBTI Type
ENTP
MacGuffin isnt a guy? hahaha oh, wow
im going to say girl

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm trained my patience, tolerance etc. soft traits hell of a lot, and I'm truly masculine, so I don't have to cover up my feminine traits as some younger lads might. So, I'm being taken as a woman sometimes.

This is even more pronounced because I'm relatively open to introspect my feelings. Lol.

gromit

likes this
I honestly don't know if I think of you as male or female, and I might have even been the one to ask that question.

Sometimes it's obvious online (for example, if someone has a username like cutesybubblesgirl99 or something), but usually I wait until they say something like 'and then my identical twin brother' or post a picture of themselves in which they are clearly a female or something like that.

I've gotten mistaken for male on here before though, but I'm female... :shrug:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MacGuffin isnt a guy? hahaha oh, wow
im going to say girl

Reminder: I have a dry sense of humor. :smile:

I'm trained my patience, tolerance etc. soft traits hell of a lot, and I'm truly masculine, so I don't have to cover up my feminine traits as some younger lads might. So, I'm being taken as a woman sometimes. This is even more pronounced because I'm relatively open to introspect my feelings. Lol.

What are your feminine traits?
I never got any feminine vibes from you, ever.
Do you emote some IRL?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
What are your feminine traits?
I never got any feminine vibes from you, ever.
Do you emote some IRL?
Fi is strongly thought of as feminine, and I have plenty to spare. While I often analyze some scenarios where feelings are involved, I'm sometimes involved in them myself, too, and I've thought it showed.

I've been moody, and not played the Cool Guy where I could have scored better by doing so. I'm in for exploration of feelings.

Other than that, no, I can't invent anything. I've frequently had scores of 97-99% masculinity on some tests. What I'm saying that I don't hide the 1-3%.

Edit: I don't think I emote anything like that IRL. I think I'm otherwise just about as masculine as the average plumber or lumberjack, just inclined to less feet-on-the-ground and more far-fetched stuff than them.

Does this mean that I think N as a feminine trait, or perhaps situationally so? I'll have to think about it.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do a vanity search, and I found myself slandered again by Jennifer.

:dont:

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
Female, only because a woman would be more likely to create a thread of this nature IMO.