• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Repressed emotion expresses itself as sentimentalism?

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I heard this on BBC 2 the other night (in reference to DBC Pierre of all people).

Discuss!

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I heard this on BBC 2 the other night (in reference to DBC Pierre of all people).

Discuss!

I never heard that before. What the did the show say about it? I would have thought that repressed emotions express themselves in lots of different ways.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Can you elaborate? Do you mean...something major happens in a person's life, emotions are repressed, and as a consequence they'll react more strongly to something else?

Mole

Permabanned

Discuss!

Repressed emotion longs to be heard but it has been struck dumb.

So just imagine, you have been struck dumb but you urgently need to communicate what has happened to you. So you act out.

You act out in dumb show what has happened to you.

But the tragedy is that the more you act out, the more the emotion remains repressed. And being repressed is hidden even from yourself. So one acts out and acts out and acts out like a madman. It's as though no one can hear you or see you, least of all yourself. You look in the mirror and there's no one there.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
The example given was a classic "set-peice" character (stereotypical "NT" if you like): the "narcissistic intellectual".

This personality is emotionally repressed, but the "shadow" of this repression is a strong streak of sentimentalism in art (for example, two examples I remember being common on intp-forums are attachment to Irish music or epic musicals such as Les Miserables -both of which I share).

:coffee:

Mole

Permabanned
The example given was a classic "set-peice" character (stereotypical "NT" if you like): the "narcissistic intellectual".

This personality is emotionally repressed, but the "shadow" of this repression is a strong streak of sentimentalism in art (for example, two examples I remember being common on intp-forums are attachment to Irish music or epic musicals such as Les Miserables -both of which I share).

:coffee:

Irish music and epic musicals can be used to act out repressed emotions.

For instance, I had a repressed, alcoholic friend who would act out with grand opera. It had such a hold on him that he would travel the whole country going from opera house to opera house.

But all the grand opera in the world would not let his repressed emotions speak their name.

And it is only when our repressed emotions are enabled to speak for themselves, they can be analysed, evaluated and integrated into our personality.