• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Waking up gasping for air

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yesterday morning and this morning I had nightmares, both times in my dream I was gasping for air, which lead me to wake up gasping for air in real life. Anyone else experience this? Am I having panic attacks in my sleep? I have been pretty anxious this week dealing with work.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yup, sounds like you may be having panic attacks in your sleep. :( This happens to me occasionally (like, uh... when I don't take my meds!!). When I have panic attacks, it's almost always at night, and it usually happens JUST as I'm dropping off to sleep. Then I sit bolt upright in bed and have to get up. I usually wake up before I get to the point of gasping for air, but it comes along eventually.

I hope things work out with your job soon... panic attacks are no fun!
:hug:

Within

Permabanned
I have an ISFP friend who claims that breathing is a consious act for him, and that he sometimes wakes up because he is forgetting to breath.
I know, he's an idiot.

I've never heard about people having panic attacks in their sleep though. Maby you are having night terrors and confusing them with nightmares.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Incubus? :D

You're probably just having anxiety-ridden dreams. If it continues when you don't have as much anxiety in life, consider that it might be sleep apnea.

Rhapsody

MBTI Type
INFP
You might be experiencing awareness during sleep paralysis (Sleep paralysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) which is scary but otherwise harmless. It can involve feeling like you're having trouble breathing. I experience ASP frequently, and every so often I'll wake up feeling like I'm suffocating.

Of course, since you only mention that you wake up gasping for air, and not that you also wake up feeling like you can't move, anxiety or night terrors seem like the more likely answer.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
You're probably just having anxiety-ridden dreams. If it continues when you don't have as much anxiety in life, consider that it might be sleep apnea.

My first thought was sleep apnea, but I thought most people who have that aren't aware of their trouble breathing; they just feel tired and sleep-deprived during the day and don't know why, unless they have a partner to tell them about the gasping.

Anyways, aside from the breathing, do you have other symptoms of panic (sweating, shaking, sense of impending doom)? Nocturnal panic attacks feel the same as those that happen while awake.

Doesn't sound much like sleep paralysis to me, unless there's a lot you aren't telling us.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ive never experienced sleep paralysis before...sounds scary as hell, I dont think its sleep apnea either. If it happens again I should probabley see a therapist huh? How do you guys deal with anxiety?

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think it is anything to worry too much about BUT, a lot of things that happen in real life can transfer to your dream. If you were to sleep with books on your stomach, you might end up dreaming that you were being crushed on the chest while, at the same time, gasping to breathe.

After effects of dreams could translate to real life for a short duration too. I suppose bed wetting is an example of this. :D

As for sleep paralysis, you really do not want to go through it. I think I went through it once. I was aware that I had woken up from a nightmare, but I couldn't move nor speak.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have these a lot. I usually dream that I'm drowning before I wake up in that state. It likely is anxiety-related.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
In the last 2 years i have experienced this more than i would like, one time i woke up clawing the head board but in my dream i was clawing for breath, its fucking terrifying and everynight before i go to bed i pray it doesn't happen. it definitely is anxiety related for me i think, i wasn't allowing myself to have panick attacks while awake and so my body said okay we will do it in your sleep. My disassociation has been in full effect to so i think they are all linked.