• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jung Vs. Freud

Lark

OK the experiential T's and bookish F's are confusing me.

You know you can get action figures of Freud and Jung? I think Jung would win but Freud has a parachute.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OK the experiential T's and bookish F's are confusing me.

You know you can get action figures of Freud and Jung? I think Jung would win but Freud has a parachute.

Were like the energizer bunny :devil: My mission in life is to confuse the sane people and bring them down to my level :workout: And to think I can do this sanely:D

VictorClimacus

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4x3
I don't know much about either yet, but I want to chime in here. I just finished Jung's short book, "The Undiscovered Self", as a compliment to another book I read by Jung-disciple Ernest Becker called The Denial of Death. Judging from these two reading experiences, Jung seems like the more profound and penetrating student of human nature. I certainly respect Freud's dizzying genius, but hold that his sex-obsessed theories missed the mark. Man is existential before he is sexual. And that's why I prefer Jung, hands down.

G

Ginkgo

I don't know much about either yet, but I want to chime in here. I just finished Jung's short book, "The Undiscovered Self", as a compliment to another book I read by Jung-disciple Ernest Becker called The Denial of Death. Judging from these two reading experiences, Jung seems like the more profound and penetrating student of human nature. I certainly respect Freud's dizzying genius, but hold that his sex-obsessed theories missed the mark. Man is existential before he is sexual. And that's why I prefer Jung, hands down.

Agreed.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7

Yeah, agreed. Well put. The primacy of sex in Freud's thinking is what I thought corrupted some of his ideas, however inspired and original they may have been. People forget how critical it is to look for what a thinker's first principle is before they can get a good understanding of the rest of their ideas. The strength and veracity of the first principle counts for a lot, if not everything.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, agreed. Well put. The primacy of sex in Freud's thinking is what I thought corrupted some of his ideas, however inspired and original they may have been. People forget how critical it is to look for what a thinker's first principle is before they can get a good understanding of the rest of their ideas. The strength and veracity of the first principle counts for a lot, if not everything.

Some thing are better hands on instead of in theory:devil: Ok I am done, I promise.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Jung and his writings make more sense to me than Freud but Freud (still) seems to be given more credit than Jung.

Mole

Permabanned
The Unresolved Father Complex

Jung and his writings make more sense to me than Freud but Freud (still) seems to be given more credit than Jung.

And why not. Carl Jung failed his psychoanalysis with Dr Sigmund Freud because Carl was not able to resolve his father complex.

Carl was unable to resolve his transference with Dr Freud and so adopted the Führer as his surrogate father.

And when the Führer failed, Carl set himself up as a fake father figure as a guru of the New Age.

Carl's real father was a religious paster and rather than individuating from his father, Carl sought to displace him by setting up his own religion, with himself as the founder and guru.

And what we have here are the followers of Carl who are ineluctably attracted to Carl's unresolved father complex because it mirrors their own.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
And why not. Carl Jung failed his psychoanalysis with Dr Sigmund Freud because Carl was not able to resolve his father complex.

Carl was unable to resolve his transference with Dr Freud and so adopted the Führer as his surrogate father.

And when the Führer failed, Carl set himself up as a fake father figure as a guru of the New Age.

Carl's real father was a religious paster and rather than individuating from his father, Carl sought to displace him by setting up his own religion, with himself as the founder and guru.

And what we have here are the followers of Carl who are ineluctably attracted to Carl's unresolved father complex because it mirrors their own.

I read Jungs memoir and I don't know if I agree with you. ;) I would need to study the subject more.

I wouldn't think Freud didn't have any fails, now would he? :D

wolfy

awsm
On a completely different front I think Freud had a more enduring style and influence on popular culture. The beard, the cocaine, the pipe, the Freudian slip the list goes on.... Jung didn't really have the whole package image wise.