• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it better to be fear and hated or loved and accepted?

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
No one wants to be fear and hated.

But what if the former involves being yourself and the latter involves suppressing your personality?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
signature said:

go make these stupid topics of yours to your own sub forums

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Moved from The NT Rationale.

Andre Gide says it best: "It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not".

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Andre Gide says it best: "It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not".

Ditto.

Long-term, it's just not worth it to be "fake"; it's like you don't really exist, if you are constantly being another person.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Loved and respected works nicely...

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think that "being yourself" would mean being feared and hated. Except if you are a sociopath, but then you probably wouldn't be pondering this question. Usually it seems more like the people who are unable to go all the way being themselves are feared and/or hated. I haven't met a scary person that was being honest with themselves.

Lark

Ditto.

Long-term, it's just not worth it to be "fake"; it's like you don't really exist, if you are constantly being another person.

Wow! That can only ever be relatively true, for instance you wouldnt want to tell Ed Gein, Ted Bundy et al that they should "Just be yourself" and "Do whatever makes you happiest" you know?

Its only possible to feign or fake a particular state for so long, that's true but you got to keep in mind that if you're a psycho you should deal with that by getting help, not "following your bliss" like for instance a quirky artist who ditches the day job in office cubicle land could.

Lark

It depends on the audience, I'm not worried about some people fearing and hating me, like Alexander The Great said who cares if the hate so long as they fear, it might not even involve fearing me so much as the law or consequences, if that protects me then I'm just fine with that.

Although as a rule I'd prefer to be loved and accepted I dont expect it.

Einnas

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4~9
Feared if you ask the Red Queen

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow! That can only ever be relatively true, for instance you wouldnt want to tell Ed Gein, Ted Bundy et al that they should "Just be yourself" and "Do whatever makes you happiest" you know?

Its only possible to feign or fake a particular state for so long, that's true but you got to keep in mind that if you're a psycho you should deal with that by getting help, not "following your bliss" like for instance a quirky artist who ditches the day job in office cubicle land could.
There is a difference between pretending to be something you are not, and working to improve who you really are. Thus even the Ted Bundy's of the world should be themselves, they should just recognize that "themselves" need work.

As for me, I prefer respect that I have earned. Anything else is above and beyond, and I will not do much simply to achieve it.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Who said anything about "Do whatever makes you happiest"? that's a totally different topic to what is being discussed. I would rather Ed Gein and Ted Bundy et al revealed themselves for who they truely were than having them pretend to be nice, average, normal members of the community. They may have been stopped sooner if they showed people who they really were.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
If your natural self is to be a total asshole, then I think it doesn't really matter if you're true to yourself or not. You're still going to be miserable.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
If your natural self is to be a total asshole, then I think it doesn't really matter if you're true to yourself or not. You're still going to be miserable.

Ooh, disagree. I see lots of assholes who seem pretty content and happy.

My answer - better to be Loved AND Feared. People love you so much that they are scared of to lose your favor. I believe this is the preferred method for strippers and mistresses.

wolfy

awsm
There is no such thing as another person. Only you adapting to circumstances.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Ooh, disagree. I see lots of assholes who seem pretty content and happy.

My answer - better to be Loved AND Feared. People love you so much that they are scared of to lose your favor. I believe this is the preferred method for strippers and mistresses.

I think it depends on your definition of content, but I think it's fundamentally impossible to be content if your heart isn't open, and your heart can't be open at the same time you're an asshole to everyone. The dissonance is overwhelming.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I think it depends on your definition of content, but I think it's fundamentally impossible to be content if your heart isn't open, and your heart can't be open at the same time you're an asshole to everyone. The dissonance is overwhelming.

You sound like you have studied Buddhism. :D

I don't disagree with what you're saying but a lot of those [angry, short-tempered, rude, stressed people who act like] assholes to others would probably swear up and down to disagree with you. You even see it to a lesser extent on this forum.

"I don't have any emotional baggage to work through! I'm not an angry/hurt person! This is just my personality! I'm not being an asshole I'm just asserting my point. perfectly happy with my life and the way I am! How dare you project onto me!" etc.

Then again, maybe it depends on your definition of 'asshole'.

I'd still rather be loved and feared. That would make me happy. I think.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You sound like you have studied Buddhism. :D

:jew:

I don't disagree with what you're saying but a lot of those [angry, short-tempered, rude, stressed people who act like] assholes to others would probably swear up and down to disagree with you. You even see it to a lesser extent on this forum.

Yeah, but I don't think people know what the fuck they're talking about, present company excluded, lol.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Is it better to be fear and hated or loved and accepted?

Hmmm, by the way it is phrased, the choices sound extreme -- as if neither could exist at the same time. Isn't there a middle decision?

I'd go with the path that allows someone to recognize my skills for what they are. When you're overly 'accepted', people can start over-idealizing/estimating your abilities. When you're 'hated', they won't listen to a thing you say (but they may end up as some of your best critics). It's just that many of the areas I focus on doesn't primarily involve being loved or feared. If it happens, I'd simply go with the flow and see how I can incorporate those values into the bigger picture. I'm more about maintaining and striving for balance.

There is a difference between pretending to be something you are not, and working to improve who you really are. Thus even the Ted Bundy's of the world should be themselves, they should just recognize that "themselves" need work.

As for me, I prefer respect that I have earned. Anything else is above and beyond, and I will not do much simply to achieve it.

Ah, didn't see this response.

Agreed. :yes:

wolfy

awsm
There is no such thing as another person. Only you adapting to circumstances.

Also, how can you suppress your own personality? Isn't that like pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps?

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Feared and hated. I may need people, but I'm nothing without the reality of myself. :yes:
I don't think that "being yourself" would mean being feared and hated. Except if you are a sociopath, but then you probably wouldn't be pondering this question. Usually it seems more like the people who are unable to go all the way being themselves are feared and/or hated. I haven't met a scary person that was being honest with themselves.
Feared and hated is relative.
I have people who love and accept me for openly being who I am. In the same token, I have people who fear and hate me for the exact same reasons. My personality and opinions can be very morally wrong and abrasive to some, whereas others will feel the opposite.
Also, how can you suppress your own personality? Isn't that like pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps?
I would say suppressing certain aspects of your personality. Like you said- "adapting to circumstances". If you're suppressing a number of aspects to make others more comfortable, it could be said that you're straying from your reality.
:laugh: As an ENFJ, it can be part of the call of duty. It's normal to keep certain aspects of yourself under wraps, but the issue is in when you start to feel like less of who you are based on what you're holding back.

Technically, it is all of who you are. If you hold back aspects of who you are, it is technically part of your personality to make that call. Everything is technically something if you pick it apart enough though.