• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hatred of Spoken Cultures

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
It's a nice theory however I am engaged in a dialogue with myself.
Odd. I find that by definition "Monologue" refers to a conversation one has with the self, whereas "Dialogue" is a conversation between two or more people. I'm wondering how it's possible to be engaged in a conversation with two or more people while talking to yourself. Are you saying that you have, to speak non-technically for the moment, some kind of split personality?

Mole

Permabanned
The Global Village

Thanks for the link, but that's a 400 page book. Could you please summarize that one idea, to begin with?

For instance, a book is one medium and this board is another medium.

We read the book alone and we write and read this board together.

So the book creates the individual while this board creates the new tribe, the electronic tribe.

And the book is based on print while this board is based on electricity.

The book is linear and sequential while this board happens all at once all over the world.

Two different mediums with two different messages.

The message of the book is individualism, while the message of this board is electronic tribalism in the global village.

Mole

Permabanned
Odd. I find that by definition "Monologue" refers to a conversation one has with the self, whereas "Dialogue" is a conversation between two or more people. I'm wondering how it's possible to be engaged in a conversation with two or more people while talking to yourself. Are you saying that you have, to speak non-technically for the moment, some kind of split personality?

Yes, my personality is split by time.

So I listen to myself and write a post at a particular time, but then I ruminate on the post and listen to myself again. And lo an behold I find I write a different post at a different time.

It could be called bootstrapping. In other words, every post builds on every other post. Or you might say I learn from every post. So I change from post to post.

And so I engage in a conversation with myself.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
For instance, a book is one medium and this board is another medium.

We read the book alone and we write and read this board together.

So the book creates the individual while this board creates the new tribe, the electronic tribe.

And the book is based on print while this board is based on electricity.

The book is linear and sequential while this board happens all at once all over the world.

Two different mediums with two different messages.

The message of the book is individualism, while the message of this board is electronic tribalism.

Okay - so the electronic experience is more social, and involves more of the senses and forces us to be receptive to differing viewpoints, and that the concept of time becomes less linear because it's happening all over the world at once in different locations, cultures, and time zones. Therefore it creates a more active, organic sense of "community." Okay. I get that.

I was also scanning the book, and am I to understand it as American culture was more structurally industrialized in the 19th century, while British culture at that point was still more pre-industrialist (though one certainly could not argue that England wasn't touched by industrialism also at that time)?

Mole

Permabanned
On the Same Page

I was also scanning the book, and am I to understand it as American culture was more structurally industrialized in the 19th century, while British culture at that point was still more pre-industrialist (though one certainly could not argue that England wasn't touched by industrialism also at that time)?

The printing press was invented in 1440 and the first book printed was the Bible. And it was the Bible that settled America.

Americans did not have to get rid of an aural culture before establishing the Republic of Literacy.

While Britain for instance had an aural culture going back thousands of years and the Republic of Literacy was never established in Britain. And Britain remains an aural Monarchy.

And of course, here in the antipodes, we also remain an aural Monarchy trying to talk with the Republic of Literacy.

And so our conversation is replete with misunderstandings.

In an aural culture this is considered comical and amusing, while it is verboten in a literate culture where we are all expected to be on the same page.

So the literate are on the same page, while the aural are not even reading the book, never mind being on the same page. We are just giggling up our sleeve.

But the literate take themselves seriously and hate to be laughed at.

So we have the po-faced literate Puritans confronting the giggling Monarchists.