• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Starting/responding to threads.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I recently noticed something about myself. I tend to write fairly good replies to threads, but I rarely start my own threads. For some reason, I usually draw a blank when trying to come up with something on my own, but if someone just gives me a topic, an idea, or a situation, I can almost always come up with something relevant. The things I usually think about posting, I usually worry have been talked about in other threads, or would only want to post in the Fluff Zone.

I'm wondering what this is related to. It doesn't seem like Extraverts create more threads that Introverts, so it isn't that. I've also seen no lack of threads created by S's, so it's not that either. Could it be some kind of individual creativity thing? If so, what?

In other words, why do I (and some other people) seem to reply to other people's threads more often than I start them myself? What is it that causes certain other people to be more inclined to start threads?

(And I'm aware of the irony in actually starting a thread to talk about this.) ;)

redacted

i'm exactly the same way.

i'm a really self-conscious person, and i don't want my idea for a thread to be rejected/ignored. so i won't start one unless i know it's really good.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't like starting threads because I feel like it has to be a "worthwhile" thread and if nobody replies I feel like I've wasted everyone else's time and space, which has happened more often than not in the past.

Or maybe I just don't have anything to say.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Hi Athenian,

Perhaps this relates. An ENTP friend was running for School Board and asked me to help him write his platform. He said it didn't really matter what I wrote, as long as there was a lot of it and it addressed each point. He could take it from there, editing and amending as necessary. But he couldn't start it himself.

Jae Rae

developer

MBTI Type
INTJ
In other words, why do I (and some other people) seem to reply to other people's threads more often than I start them myself? What is it that causes certain other people to be more inclined to start threads?

I don't think it has much to do with creativity. I think that you are extremely knowledgeable about MBTI, so you rarely feel the need to ask questions. Being an INFJ, you will probably also not feel strongly compelled to make others follow your lead.

On the other hand, you give excellent advice to anybody who posts a question here, which is precisely what I guess you are also doing in your real life. I have no idea about your professional background, but I think you would make a great counsellor. For myself, I can say I would feel perfectly at ease to come to you and ask for your advice when I were to have a problem. Does that make any sense for you ?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I start threads because I come up with an idea or I have something I really want somebody else to read. But I'm like that in real life too. I start conversations. Could it be because my primary Ne?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't start many threads because I don't want to confirm that I'm really as stupid/weird as I think I am. But I'm being neurotic.

heart

heart on fire
I start threads because I come up with an idea or I have something I really want somebody else to read. But I'm like that in real life too. I start conversations. Could it be because my primary Ne?

This underlined part is me too, but only on internet life. In real life I am pretty much a little mouse.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't think it has much to do with creativity. I think that you are extremely knowledgeable about MBTI, so you rarely feel the need to ask questions. Being an INFJ, you will probably also not feel strongly compelled to make others follow your lead.

Yes, I think that's it... I usually end up trying to answer other people's questions or defining the limits of what we know about it, or what the standard interpretations are so that I can explain how we've moved from them, etc. Often I don't post until I think I've made an unusual insight, and too often it's in another thread because I didn't see it until I saw someone else's situation, and don't really want to repost it elsewhere because it seems wasteful or persnickety somehow.
On the other hand, you give excellent advice to anybody who posts a question here, which is precisely what I guess you are also doing in your real life. I have no idea about your professional background, but I think you would make a great counsellor. For myself, I can say I would feel perfectly at ease to come to you and ask for your advice when I were to have a problem. Does that make any sense for you ?

I've always wanted to be a counselor. I've never actually had a job, though. Yes, I'm glad to hear that... it sounds like me.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
I recently noticed something about myself. I tend to write fairly good replies to threads, but I rarely start my own threads.
I'm the same too. I can reply to threads all over a board, but I rarely start one myself.

Why? Frankly, the only reason I can come up with for now is: because my thoughts are my thoughts, and it just doesn't occur to me to share them with others *uninvited*. I'm not sure why I feel that way, I just do :huh:

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I share the same sentiment, I absolutely dread starting new threads and like the others here, I only do so when I am 100% certain the idea would work or have gained enough support for it. For an online community I've been involved with since 2004, I have created a measly seven topics! :doh: I'm more confident about it now as I usually get a good number of responses, but yikes, I would still avoid it if I can! That's why I love discussing ideas on a one-on-one basis, so I can have a back-up plan for those drawbacks before I present my arguments to the public & have it smashed logically into smithereens. (I don't mind if this is done privately, I'd just loathe for it to be done publicly.) Could this be the self-fulling prophecy of an INTJ's need to be 'right'? :D ;)

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Why? Frankly, the only reason I can come up with for now is: because my thoughts are my thoughts, and it just doesn't occur to me to share them with others *uninvited*. I'm not sure why I feel that way, I just do :huh:

I should act more like you because I share my thoughts too much in real life. I try to censor myself online.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
I act more like you because I share my thoughts too much in real life. I try to censor myself online.
No, you shouldn't act more like me, because if everyone acted like me, humanity would still be stuck in the Stone Age, because nobody would ever think of spontaneously sharing their insights with others :laugh:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, you shouldn't act more like me, because if everyone acted like me, humanity would still be stuck in the Stone Age, because nobody would ever think of spontaneously sharing their insights with others :laugh:

But you're an INFJ-Jesus!! :D

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
But you're an INFJ-Jesus!! :D
Precisely :D

What kind of contribution to *practical* matters did Jesus do? You know, in fields such as technology, politics, sciences, medicine, gardening, *whatever* is actually *useful* in bringing a civilisation out of the Stone Age ;) ?

Moreover, even when He *did* talk, people usually went home with those big question marks over their heads: "What did He mean? What does it all mean? How are we supposed to apply that?" And so on...

I'm telling ya: stuck in the Stone Age, that's where we'd all be. Stuck AND mightily confused :laugh: :smile:

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
It's because there are always more responses than there are threads. Nature of internet forums and all.

*sage nod*

Seriously, though, I agree with dissonance.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Uhhhh +1

I also seldom start threads... well I don't reply to many things either, but I start threads even less. I think it has more to do with Ni than anything else. If I have an idea... I tend to just mull it over in my head. Most stuff I come up with I found difficult to articulate. If it's just going to confused people... then I rather not start a thread.

LucrativeSid

Most of the time I just think of people as my friends and I just naturally share ideas and ask questions. I just flow. I wouldn't want to over-analyze a thing like expression because that would take the point (and the fun) out of it. I want to flow now and always, and if that means that I might start a junk thread, I can just flow away from it and continue on unscathed. To me, expression is flow, not where you're flowing to.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've started a few, but mine tend to be fluffier ones that not many people can relate to or want to respond to!!

In general though, I haven't created many because I don't have anything particularly compelling or earth-shattering that I want to share (also I'd be rather embarrassed if I posted something and then no one responded:shock: ). And I tend to post something when I'm actually seeking responses and feedback from others...recently, I haven't had anything in my life that I want feedback on. Also, many other people come up with very good threads that are relevant to my life on some level, so one could say other peoples' threads cover my own needs. :)