• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Starting/responding to threads.

ygolo

My termites win
Other than Uber, I think I may have started the most threads. I am not sure what that means...

I find IRL, I change the topic of conversation frequently.

It never occurred to me to be self-conscious about these particular things. I am very much an introvert. But when I have a question on my mind, I have an incredibly pressing need to find an answer. Asking someone is often a good way to get some leads.

Most of my threads involved finding an answer to a question on my mind. Really, I don't forum much. I found this one when I was learning more about personality, and this is the one I like best of the ones I visited. Perhaps the questions I asked would have been better posed elsewhere.

There was also a lot of fluffy threads that I thought would be fun.

Also, the search function we have isn't very good. So I use Google.
I know most people already know how to do this, but it may be instructive to some.

In Google's form, type:

site:typologycentral.com <your search term here>

For example:

site:typologycentral.com intellectual - Google Search

I was going to post something on Intellectual Freedom, so I did this search to see if something like this existed. Then I found Toonia's thread (her introduction?) which lead to Dana and me bumping that one. Hope that was helpful to some.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You never know though who might have read your words and benefited or been touched and never responded.

Well, that's one way of looking at it... but I'm still disappointed that no one liked it enough to say anything if that happens. I guess I have a need to be praised to feel good about myself for some reason. :(

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
As a person who probably does start quite a few threads at points, I go through phases. Sometimes everything seems so obvious and so I respond to threads (often this coincides with me feeling more withdrawn and T-ish). Other times I want to discuss stuff and get things out there to have a poke around and figure out things with other's perspectives. Often this is because I think I'm close to an answer but am lacking something.

One thing I have noted with my thread starting behaviour is I feel almost duty bound to respond to everyone who replies. It's like a compulsion!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
*Whimsically throws a reply in Xander's general direction and looks away* :whistling:
:steam: Catch 22'd!!! :steam:

One's I start!!! Not all the threads!!
:steam:
Though I did have to reply to this one to explain that :steam:

God damn ENTPs!!!

;)

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I generally don't start to many threads at all on forums. As for responding to threads. For every response I post theres usually 10+ responses that I've typed up but at the last minute decide not to post for some reason, or I totally rewrite it all numerous times before I finally do hit that "submit reply" button.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think I usually only start a thread when I have a question.

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I generally don't start to many threads at all on forums. As for responding to threads. For every response I post theres usually 10+ responses that I've typed up but at the last minute decide not to post for some reason, or I totally rewrite it all numerous times before I finally do hit that "submit reply" button.

I have done this about 47 times a day, and it's really annoying me. I type out this whole long dissertation and then proof read it before posting, decide that it was pointless and delete it, and go back to lurking. I don't know why I do this, but I am sure there is a deep psychological factor that I am missing, or just shyness.

(here's to hoping I will press 'Submit Reply')

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I have done this about 47 times a day, and it's really annoying me. I type out this whole long dissertation and then proof read it before posting, decide that it was pointless and delete it, and go back to lurking. I don't know why I do this, but I am sure there is a deep psychological factor that I am missing, or just shyness.

I used to be afraid to post, and then I realized that people didn't know where I lived, so they couldn't come and hurt me.

Also, after reading some really far-fetched opinions by people who actually believed they were right, I realized that I have just as much right to my opinion as anybody else does.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

Just go for it! Post all of them. :)
Everybody's opinion counts. :yes:

Last edited:

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I recently noticed something about myself. I tend to write fairly good replies to threads, but I rarely start my own threads. For some reason, I usually draw a blank when trying to come up with something on my own, but if someone just gives me a topic, an idea, or a situation, I can almost always come up with something relevant. The things I usually think about posting, I usually worry have been talked about in other threads, or would only want to post in the Fluff Zone.

I'm wondering what this is related to. It doesn't seem like Extraverts create more threads that Introverts, so it isn't that. I've also seen no lack of threads created by S's, so it's not that either. Could it be some kind of individual creativity thing? If so, what?

In other words, why do I (and some other people) seem to reply to other people's threads more often than I start them myself? What is it that causes certain other people to be more inclined to start threads?

(And I'm aware of the irony in actually starting a thread to talk about this.) ;)

This is exactly why I am hesitant to go into research as a career. I am damn good at finding the answer, but I normally do this for OTHER people's experiments and studies. When asked to create an idea for a study I draw a blank.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%

I used to be afraid to post, and then I realized that people didn't know where I lived, so they couldn't come and hurt me.

Also, after reading some really far-fetched opinions by people who actually believed they were right, I realized that I have just as much right to my opinion as anybody else does.

Most of the reason for why I don't reply as often as I want to is not because I'm afraid I'm wrong, but that what I'm trying to say will be taken wrong. I have a hard time relaying how I feel about certain subjects because I draw from so many different areas to reach that conclusion.

I'm constantly struggling with trying to convey that message without offending anyone, and explain it in a way that would minimize any sort of conflict with the people who wouldn't ordinarily agree.

Plus theres also a conflict as to how to convey the novel size volume of things I want to say on the subject in a more forum friendly paragraph way of talking. I made note of that in my Introduction thread. If I had let myself I probably would have written a sort of war & peace size biography just so people get the "right" idea of my views and why I am the way I am.

Staind - Epiphany said:
I am nothing more than
A little boy inside
That cries out for attention,
Yet I always try to hide

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I think I usually just forget the point of what I am typing, and despite re-reading it, I am still certain that I have wandered off on a tangent that confuses me. I get distracted by shiny things too, which is never helpful.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Also, the search function we have isn't very good. So I use Google.
I know most people already know how to do this, but it may be instructive to some.

In Google's form, type:

site:typologycentral.com <your search term here>

For example:

site:typologycentral.com intellectual - Google Search
Why didn't I think of that? :nice: The forum search command frustrates me to no ends. Haha now I can search for whatever to my heart's content! (if I'm not too lazy that is...)

*nods* I do that... far far too often... I'm trying very hard to cure myself by pretending that I'm like whatever... and just go "WHATEVER!" and post and assume that people know I'm an insane mouse to begin with.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Most of the reason for why I don't reply as often as I want to is not because I'm afraid I'm wrong, but that what I'm trying to say will be taken wrong. I have a hard time relaying how I feel about certain subjects because I draw from so many different areas to reach that conclusion. ...
Well, you can be pretty much assured that every so often someone is going to take you wrong, and possibly make a big stink out of it, too.
Just think of it as preparation for real life.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
Well, you can be pretty much assured that every so often someone is going to take you wrong, and possibly make a big stink out of it, too.
Just think of it as preparation for real life.

I'm well aware of that.. I need a backspace button that works on speech :p

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I was permanently banned from my last forum, which also just so happened to be my very first forum, funnily enough....

I had nearly, or over 2000 posts and was very involved in both creating threads, and responding to others. I would say that I started approx. 20 threads, a few of which became really popular. Overall though, I would say that I preferred joining interesting threads as opposed to starting them.

And as a side note...

I have found that all the myriad nuances transmitted via real life conversation, i.e. tone, facial expression, body language...which are more or less entirely lacking in this medium of communication (unless of course one thinks emoticons should suffice), ultimately lead to a lot of things getting misinterpreted.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I don't think I've ever been banned from anywhere. If anything its the feeling of unease or boredom that results in me leaving. I'm still a member of the first ever forum I joined. I joined it on 01/03/02 and have a grand total of 166 posts on there. 20 of which have probably been in the past year.

There was only one forum where I'd create topics like crazy, but that was for an MMORPG, and I was part of the Dev staff. So I was more or less required to in order to do my job.

I've always found the issue of the lack of normal communication nuances such as tone of voice to be severely lacking, hence why I seem to over use emoticons while chatting online. They're not sufficient, but they're all I have at my disposal. Some times I'll look back at a conversation on AIM or MSN and the first thing I'll notice is just how much I use them.

Dansker

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't like starting threads because I feel like it has to be a "worthwhile" thread...
I feel a bit like this. I've been a member here since April 07 and I've never started a thread, yet I visit every day and read quite a lot.