• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

AD/HD online conference

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
For those interested in AD/HD (and there seems to have been a lot of interest in certain threads), I have just received a heads up on a virtual conference that will be held in October with one of the keynote speakers being Edward "Ned" Hallowell, M.D., noted AD/HD expert and author of Driven to Distraction, Answers to Distraction, Delivered from Distraction, and Married to Distraction.

It will be held in October and seems to be very well priced. I intend to participate and thought I would make the link available to anyone else who is interested:

Virtual AD/HD Conference

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Awesome! Thank you!

I am the AD/HD poster child. :cheese:

I'd love to hear what this guy has to say, and your commentary as well.

Looking forward to it!

I'll be sure to eat an Adderall before the conference so I can pay attention. :rofl1:

-A.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Awesome! Thank you!

I am the AD/HD poster child. :cheese:

I'd love to hear what this guy has to say, and your commentary as well.

Looking forward to it!

I'll be sure to eat an Adderall before the conference so I can pay attention.

-A.

:rofl1:You are most welcome A.! ;)

I have both Driven to Distraction and Answers to Distraction and they are great books. Ned and his co-authors are considered experts on AD/HD and are themselves AD/HD. Many useful resources and contacts in the back of their books after the bibliography and index.

I have a list of interesting reading matter I have in my personal library by some of the leading, alternative thinkers on this subject if anyone would like me to post a list of other pertinent reading material??

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:rofl1:You are most welcome A.! ;)

:hug:

I have both Driven to Distraction and Answers to Distraction and they are great books. Ned and his co-authors are considered experts on AD/HD and are themselves AD/HD. Many useful resources and contacts in the back of their books after the bibliography and index.

I have a list of interesting reading matter I have in my personal library by some of the leading, alternative thinkers on this subject if anyone would like me to post a list of other pertinent reading material??

I would looove a list of AD/HD resources that you feel are worthwhile.
For me, it is a fortunate manner of thinking.

It does drive me off on tangents, and makes it hard to lock onto things at times, but that is a small price to pay for the energy I have, the creativity it gives me, and the endless supply of cheerfulness it assists to support in my life.

I don't consider it a disability. I consider it a type of "special power" to have if wielded correctly, but one that must be kept in check on an ongoing basis lest it turn into a little gremlin that throws a wrench into the gears of my mental productivity. :D

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
:hug:

I would looove a list of AD/HD resources that you feel are worthwhile.
For me, it is a fortunate manner of thinking.

It does drive me off on tangents, and makes it hard to lock onto things at times, but that is a small price to pay for the energy I have, the creativity it gives me, and the endless supply of cheerfulness it assists to support in my life.

I don't consider it a disability. I consider it a type of "special power" to have if wielded correctly, but one that must be kept in check on an ongoing basis lest it turn into a little gremlin that throws a wrench into the gears of my mental productivity. :D

These are exactly my feelings on the matter! I am very fortunate to be able to teach in an industry where frequently those same abstract, leaps of association and quick thinking also seem to equate with the best aptitude for technology and the arts. It has also been my personal experience and I wouldn't swap it for quids (a quid is an old slang word for a pound of British or old Aussie and NZ currency)!

I'll post the best of the books on my bookshelf for you over the weekend :hug:

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
For Halla and anyone else interested

My bookshelf reading list of good titles re AD/HD and other learning difficulties:

"The Gift of Dyslexia, Revised and Expanded: Why Some of the Smartest People Can't Read...and How They Can Learn"
Ronald D. Davis;

"Art, Mind, And Brain: A Cognitive Approach To Creativity"
Howard E. Gardner;

"Creating Minds: An Anatomy Of Creativity As Seen Through The Lives Of Freud, Einstein, Picasso, Stravinsky, Eliot, Graham, And Gandhi"
Howard E. Gardner;

"Misdiagnosis And Dual Diagnoses Of Gifted Children And Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, OCD, Asperger's, Depression, And Other Disorders"
James T. Webb;

"Geometry of Design: Studies in Proportion and Composition"
Kimberly Elam;

"Thinking Like Einstein: Returning To Our Visual Roots With The Emerging Revolution In Computer Information Visualization"
Thomas G. West;

"In the Mind's Eye: Creative Visual Thinkers, Gifted Dyslexics, and the Rise of Visual Technologies"
Thomas G. West;

"ADHD a Different Perception"
Thom Hartmann;

"The Edison Gene: ADHD and the Gift of the Hunter Child"
Thom Hartmann;

"Complete Guide to ADHD: Help for Your Family at Home, School and Work"
Thom Hartmann;

"Dreamers, Discoverers and Dynamos"
Lucy Jo Palladino;

"In their Own Way"
Thomas Armstrong Ph.D.;

"You mean I'm not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy: The Classic Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder"
Kate Kelly, Peggy Ramundo, and Edward M. Hallowell M.D. (keynote at the online conference);

"Learning Outside the Lines: Two Ivy League Students With Learning Disabilities And ADHD Give You The Tools"
by Jonathan Mooney, David Cole, and Edward M. Hallowell;

"The Exceptional Individual"
Peter H. Engel.

That should keep you going for a while :)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
One of my favorites is "Women With ADD" by Sari Solden.

Amazon.com: Women with Attention Deficit Disorder: Embrace Your Differences and Transform Your Life (9781887424974): Sari Solden, Edward T. Hallowell, John J. Ratey: Books

Really saved my sanity when I was exploring the topic after my diagnosis, when I wasn't even sure I believed ADD/ADHD existed. She really approaches it positively, constantly reinforcing that the same thing that makes us have difficulty with attention is what gives us our creativity and sparkle.

Thanks for the heads up about the conference. I hope I can 1) remember when it is happening and not plan anything else for that time, and 2) give it the attention it needs as it happens. :D

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
One of my favorites is "Women With ADD" by Sari Solden.

Amazon.com: Women with Attention Deficit Disorder: Embrace Your Differences and Transform Your Life (9781887424974): Sari Solden, Edward T. Hallowell, John J. Ratey: Books

Really saved my sanity when I was exploring the topic after my diagnosis, when I wasn't even sure I believed ADD/ADHD existed. She really approaches it positively, constantly reinforcing that the same thing that makes us have difficulty with attention is what gives us our creativity and sparkle.

Thanks for the heads up about the conference. I hope I can 1) remember when it is happening and not plan anything else for that time, and 2) give it the attention it needs as it happens. :D

I couldn't agree more Ivy! I was having this conversation with our Innovation Director today and talking about the conference and people like Tom West and how any new online learning resources we develop need to take into account the learning styles of these young people to harness and assist in developing that creativity with least trauma.

You are very welcome BTW and thanks for a new title for my booklist!! ;)

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Many blessings, hugs, and chocolate chip cookies to Insatiable Curiousity and Ivy!!! :worthy: :hug: :hug:

Thank you both for the great reference materials to check out, I really appreciate it. :yes:

Wow! It's nice outside! Let's go ride bicycles! :happy:

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
You are very welcome A. Enjoy!!! For an interesting start try Thom Hartmann's the Edison Gene, Lucy Jo Palladino's Dreamers, Discoverers and Dynamos, and Thomas West's In the Mind's Eye :hug: