• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to distinguish introverted functions?

Frederico Rogeiro

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Sometimes I wonder how can we identify some fuction in people behavior. Specially the introverted functions (Ti, Si, Ni, Fi), are not easy to distinguish in observation. Even the extraverted functions (Te, Se, Ne, Fe) can be hard to identify.
What concrete gestures, sayings, moods, attitudes... What signs correspond to each particular function?
Can you give some examples of your own?

Lark

Sometimes I wonder how can we identify some fuction in people behavior. Specially the introverted functions (Ti, Si, Ni, Fi), are not easy to distinguish in observation. Even the extraverted functions (Te, Se, Ne, Fe) can be hard to identify.
What concrete gestures, sayings, moods, attitudes... What signs correspond to each particular function?
Can you give some examples of your own?

I've thought about this too, I tend to think it can be indicated by whether or not people theorise in conversation, blogs, journals or their reading habits.

It is a difficult one though because I do find that my profile in any of the personality tests can change, particularly in the enneagram one, depending on whether or not I'm answering in line with what may be true for me at a particular time and place and I've got to say its pretty influenced by training and experience at that time and place.

Frederico Rogeiro

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
As an INTP, my introverted functions are Ti and Si.

Ti I know how to identify well: I'm most of my time trying to find sense in things, including past and future ones, and convert this in theoretical knowledge for further application.
I don't know if others feel Ti inside in different ways.

Si is more difficult to identify, maybe because it´s more uncomfortable and I avoid it. Maybe it is when we look around without thinking nothing, I don´t know.

Ne I guess it corresponds to the fact of my actions or words contain ideas and not just practical concrete goals.

Fe is still somewhat uncomfortable too, that is to show approval or disapproval for something or someone. But I can confirm that when I feel something, I can't hide it for long.

gromit

likes this
I have heard Si described as a mental library of information. It could be facts about a subject, a 'database' of where different items are located within your bedroom, a recollection of how you've felt in different contexts, etc.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I have heard Si described as a mental library of information. It could be facts about a subject, a 'database' of where different items are located within your bedroom, a recollection of how you've felt in different contexts, etc.

This is a good one.

If you have a friend that can replace Google, or a GPS device when you are walking around your city, he/she is a Si dom.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To tweak that, Si's are not necessarily good navigators.
(My ISFJ mom is one of the worst direction-givers and navigators i've ever met.)

But Si-doms typically like familiarity. They observe and incorporate the details of the external world inside themselves, modeling it within. This makes it part of themselves and treasured. (This is why change can be difficult for them ... because external reality is eroding and it no longer matches the treasured memory/construct inside.)

This is why nostalgia is often credited to Si.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
To tweak that, Si's are not necessarily good navigators.

But Si-doms typically like familiarity. They observe and incorporate the details of the external world inside themselves, modeling it within. This makes it part of themselves and treasured. (This is why change can be difficult for them ... because external reality is eroding and it no longer matches the treasured memory/construct inside.)

This is why nostalgia is often credited to Si.

Maybe not for the first time, but we can remember every detail of a place after the first walk, and use it to guide others afterwards. ;)

But, I won´t deny that I hate it when my friends sent me out alone in a new place first to gather the information for them.

I also reckon having a hard time to finally accept that change is inevitable.

Frederico Rogeiro

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
That's some very interesting views about the Si within, and new to me.
To try to understand more about dominant functions, I´ll propose you to answer this:

Imagine you're going alone in a long train trip.
What personal object would you like to take with you?

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
To try to understand more about dominant functions, I´ll propose you to answer this:

I'm not sure if you only want Si doms on this or not but...

I would take my mp3 player with my music collection and my thoughts.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you have a friend that can replace Google, or a GPS device when you are walking around your city, he/she is a Si dom.
Not necessarily true -- I'm a walking GPS device. :D

I do have more Si than any intuitive reasonably should though. :tongue:

@OP: Spotting introverted functions isn't that difficult. Just take the description of each function and go from there.

Fi- internal values and feelings
Ti- Logical deduction and specification
Ni- Forethought, vision
Si- Memory, reliance on experience

Therefore if somebody is being emo they're probably Fi -- especially if they're being emo in a selfish way. If somebody's being a pedantic dick about details of seemingly no importance they're probably using Ti (though Te + Si could resemble this -- be careful). And so on, and so forth.

Frederico Rogeiro

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
No, Stevo... I'm curious about signs of all functions.
By the way, I'ld take my inseparable notebook (not a computer) where I organize my ideias and plans.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9

My notebook. To write down my thoughts on it.

Thinking and writing are my hobbies.