• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you act around racists?

KDude

:cool:

Just no revolutions around kids.. that's my only rule. :D

LEGERdeMAIN

Most of my family is racist, or prejudice in some way towards the majority and/or culture of one "race" or another.

My mother is dating an overweight black man, which is only interesting because she still calls certain kinds of black people "niggers" and also she calls fat people "fatties". He doesn't seem to care except when those words are directed at him.

My sister dates non-whites, primarily blacks, but they're always the stereotypical "Urkel" blacks or the well-mannered, conservatively dressed blacks.

My dad doesn't like anyone who isn't a christian fundamentalist, white racist(including me).

My grandparents are indifferent until someone in the family is suspected of "crossing certain lines". Some of my aunts/uncles/cousins are extremely racist against mexicans, blacks, asians and other hispanics, specifically.

I'm not racist, but I probably seem racist to some people who haven't had certain race conversations with me. I think it's fun to enter the racist's reality tunnel and try to think and act like a racist from time to time, but I like entering all kinds of reality tunnels because i'm an exopsychological explorer or something.

An example of my seemingly racist behavior: If I'm walking around downtown after sunset and I see a group of young black men hanging out on the sidewalk(especially in front of an alley) I will ALWAYS avoid them, either by walking across the street, changing directions or walking around a block through other side streets. This is not because I hate or despise blacks or because I think I am superior to them, but because blacks are much more violent than whites. I'm not afraid of being raped but I would like to avoid being beaten, robbed and/or murdered.

I am very tolerant of racists because I know they are carrying the old prejudices that were once important for maintaining tribal identity. Eventually these types of thoughts and behaviors will disappear, whether we attempt to change them or not.

Its like the conservatives who still believe we live in a god-fearing, capitalist republic or the old hippies who still think communism is relevant. They will die off eventually and in two or three generations people will look at racism the same way we look at child sacrifices today, a necessary relic from the past that no longer has any place in modern civilization.

BTW, the only non-racists in my family are the ones who are LOWER MIDDLE CLASS/POOR. The most racist of my family are upper middle class or upper class. This is not rare. Most racists probably are poor or undereducated, but most people are poor/middle class or undereducated. I'm sure that you'll find a greater percentage of racists in white upper class america than you will in white lower class america.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've got practically white blonde hair and blue-grey eyes. Apparently people think I'm game for a yay-KKK discussion.

It'll happen at parties or social events once in a while...I'll get to talking to someone one-on-one, usually when we're both sloshed drunk, and then the guy (it's always been a guy so far) will start on about how I'm a "pretty girl" and to "stay away from the darkies" and how they're all just undiscovered criminals. Within a sentence or two of the nonsense, I'll stand up, give him a condescending pat and tell him, "You know, I'm going to walk around. You just sober up." They're usually too wasted to do anything other than stare at the wall with their glazed eyes and continue mumbling...

And then I have my 6 year old cousin (Hannah). Her parents are horridly racist (yes, that includes my aunt...) and taught her to be just as bad.

Once, I had to watch the snotworm for a week when her parents went on a "relationship cruise" or some Dr. Phil BS like that. (They paid me handsomely, and I needed the $$$) While we were going inside the post office, we bumped into a classmate/friend of mine, who happens to be black.

Hannah looked at her, and then me, and said "You know n----s?"

I was completely embarrassed and livid. I made her apologize right then and there, and then took the nasty barbie doll she was dragging around with her right out her hands and threw it in the garbage to teach her a lesson. Luckily, my friend understood and didn't hold it against me. This is only one reason I am NEVER having kids.

I just don't tolerate out-and-out racists. I just don't. Yes, I laugh at and make racist jokes, but it's always in good humor (and I include white people in the jokes), never in pure, irrational malice.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
BTW, the only non-racists in my family are the ones who are LOWER MIDDLE CLASS/POOR. The most racist of my family are upper middle class or upper class. This is not rare. Most racists probably are poor or undereducated, but most people are poor/middle class or undereducated. I'm sure that you'll find a greater percentage of racists in white upper class america than you will in white lower class america.

Yep...in fact, I was taught this in a university level race and gender class..that poor and working class whites don't feel the same social distance from minorities who are socially disadvantaged for the same or other reasons...my class was literally told that middle and upper class whites feel like they have "more to lose" socially and are more likely to be racists.

And of course, in terms of African-American slavery in particular, the plantation owners were all quite wealthy. Subsistance farmers had no reason to have an interest in owning slaves, and poor Appalachian whites actually made up a significant number of Southerners who were opposed to slavery. This has something to do with why West Virginia suceeded from Virginia during the Civil War, in part.

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I try to school them. Personally, I believe the world will get a lot better, in many ways, when we have inter-married enough, and inter-reproduced enough... that we are one race.

Then, and only then, a lot of "problems" will go away.

Poof. Gone. :headphne:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I try to school them. Personally, I believe the world will get a lot better, in many ways, when we have inter-married enough, and inter-reproduced enough... that we are one race.

That's a nice dream, but actually there is a cross-cultural human tendency toward preferring one's "in group" (whatever that happens to be, and isn't merely about race) and it manifests itself in children as a healthy preference for trusting one's own family. The problem is, if that tribalism...instinct (?) is left unchecked, it results in adults who are racist, nationalist, etc.

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
That's a nice dream, but actually there is a cross-cultural human tendency toward preferring one's "in group" (whatever that happens to be, and isn't merely about race) and it manifests itself in children as a healthy preference for trusting one's own family. The problem is, if that tribalism...instinct (?) is left unchecked, it results in adults who are racist, nationalist, etc.

Oh come on... I can dream, can't I? :) (INFP)

But yet, I think the evidence is irrefutable. We ARE inter-breeding, and I cheer. :static:

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx

Well, intermarrying itself doesn't eradicate racist thought & ideals. In the same vein, dating, befriending, or even birthing someone of a different race doesn't automatically mean a person isn't racist, solely through integration.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh come on... I can dream, can't I? :) (INFP)

But yet, I think the evidence is irrefutable. We ARE inter-breeding, and I cheer. :static:

Yeah I'm all for inter-breeding but I'm just saying that this human tendency isn't going to go away just because of biracial people. It's only through accepting it for what it really is, and actually doing something about it, that the problem will actually be dealt with.

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Very true, but with global communication and transportation, I believe (personally), that one race is inevitable.

And I look forward to it, although I'm sure it will not happen in our lifetime, unfortunately.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Very true, but with global communication and transportation, I believe (personally), that one race is inevitable.

And I look forward to it, although I'm sure it will not happen in our lifetime, unfortunately.

Well, actually, from a biological standpoint we're all actually about 99% genetically the same anyway. A white man can have more in common genetically with a black man than another white man. I don't think differences are necessarily a bad thing.

I mean, the problem with globalism is that I think some people want a one-world culture, and I don't think that's the answer, either. Tolerance and acceptance and appreciation is the answer, not bland sameness.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx

I've heard this argument before, and I've always thought it was bollocks (no disrespect to you, esp since I don't think you're actually advocating it). It reads to me like a nice way to justify prejudices of all kind & intolerance because hey! it's a natural human tendency! instead of wanting to evolve past it.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

yep... I'm one of the last blondes that will ever exist. Supposedly the last one shall be born in Finland in 2015 (I think).

It'll make the human race kind of boring to observe though, if it becomes homogenous. And until that happens, I don't think racial elitism will go away.

You'll have the whole "Blackinese RULE over the Germaguayans". And even when we do become the gray race, we'll find other ways to discriminate.

Enter NATALISM. All the snooty bigwigs will be Capricorns who turn their noses up at blue-collar Virgos. We'll need affirmative action for the Pisceans. The Sagittariuses will be faced with threat of deportation to Jupiter. (Which will no doubt be possible by the time the human race becomes homogenous.)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've heard this argument before, and I've always thought it was bollocks (no disrespect to you, esp since I don't think you're actually advocating it). It reads to me like a nice way to justify prejudices of all kind & intolerance because hey! it's a natural human tendency! instead of wanting to evolve past that.

Rather than justifying, it's accepting certain things as reality so it can be dealt with. I think avoiding it is just going to do more damage.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
yep... I'm one of the last blondes that will ever exist. Supposedly the last one shall be born in Finland in 2015 (I think).

It'll make the human race kind of boring to observe though, if it becomes homogenous. And until that happens, I don't think racial elitism will go away.

You'll have the whole "Blackinese RULE over the Germaguayans". And even when we do become the gray race, we'll find other ways to discriminate.

Enter NATALISM. All the CEOs will be Capricorns. We'll need affirmative action for the Pisceans. The Sagittariuses will be faced with threat of deportation to Jupiter. (Which will no doubt be possible by the time the human race becomes homogenous.)

Yes, this is what I'm trying to explain. People WILL find A REASON to discriminate ... whether it is because of wealth, race, or MBTI personality type.

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
It's the cultural differences that matter. And by in-breeding, we will eventually resolve those cultural differences.

Call me what you will, but I think we should give tax credits to inter-racial marriages, and inter-racial offspring.

P.S. Remember though, that this statement is coming from a spiritual atheist. Does that make sense? Who knows? I believe we are in the early stages of enlightenment, and that our offspring will laugh at our beliefs. I hope they will, at least. Just like we laugh at the "witch burners" who came before us, just a few generations ago.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's the cultural differences that matter. And by in-breeding, we will eventually resolve those cultural differences.

Call me what you will, but I think we should give tax credits to inter-racial marriages, and inter-racial offspring.

P.S. Remember though, that this statement is coming from a spiritual atheist. Does that make sense? Who knows? I believe we are in the early stages of enlightenment, and that our offspring will laugh at our beliefs. I hope they will, at least. Just like we laugh at the "witch burners" who came before us, just a few generations ago.

What you're calling "the early stages of enlightenment" I'm just thinking is a strong opinion that you have toward globalism. Inter-racial offspring isn't going to make everything magically go away, and I'm not exactly gung-ho about watering down people's unique, diverse, beautiful, fascinating cultures, myself.

I'd rather have a salad than a melting pot, where everyone is still free to keep their personal identity while living in harmony, instead of blending together into one uniform substance.

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Wow. Well-said, and food for thought.

I guess I just see it differently. I've never understood racism.

NOT a dispersion on you (you know I like your posts), I guess I just have a (forgive me, please), more abstract view of it all.

I've NEVER understood the cultural bickering that goes on. I just don't get it.