• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

An interesting psychological experiment

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Experimental Psychology: Human Perception
by Jeff Sickles

In pyschology and the cognitive sciences, perception is the process of acquiring, interpreting, selecting, and organizing sensory information. (At least, that’s how wikipedia defines it)

As a small experiment of perception I want show you a brief video during which you will count the number of times a basketball is passed - seems easy enough, right? Okay, follow these short steps and then we’ll discuss it..

1.While watching the following video, ignore the team in black - they are trying to confuse the situation. Count only the number of passes made by the team in white t-shirts.
2.When you are done, click the back button to return to this page with the answers and follow up discussion.
3.Alright, go Watch the Video by clicking here

YouTube - selective attention test

Do not be reading below this point if you haven’t yet watched the video…

Well, how did you do? Did you concentrate?

How many times was the basketball passed among the members of the white team?
Were you also able to count the number of passes among the black team? That’s okay, you weren’t asked to.
Did you see anything else in the video, perhaps a cat, small lizard, or a gorilla?
No, really - did you se the gorilla?

Regardless of what you did or did not see, you should go post your results in the comments below. A vast majority of people (if telling the truth) probably did not observe the gorilla that showed up in the middle of the basketball frenzy, this can be attributed to perceptual blindness. Now, if you are really embarrassed about your inability to see the gorilla, you may post anonymously so that you can feel like no one knows who you are. But honestly, I’m interested to know the results. And if you’ve seen this video before - state that in your comment too. This isn’t a new concept, infact even this test has been around for a while.

Perceptual blindness — including related phenomena is known as inattentional blindness and change blindness. When people are engaged in an engrossing task, such as monitoring swimmers in a pool, they often fail to notice otherwise obvious events because they happen outside the immediate focus of attention.

This is a good example of how people who have seen a car accident or a mugging can come up with such different stories - their attention can be focused on any number of visual stimuli, where they are otherwise cognitively engaged. How about talking on the cell phone? Strikingly, those involved in these crashes usually have no idea there was an object there, and cannot explain their failure to have seen it. Scarry - but I’m sure you’ve experienced the same type of thing, even if it didn’t result in an accident. Ever forget how you got from point ‘A’ to point ‘B’ or somehow can’t recall a portion of your drive home.

Real-life case studies of this blindness include drivers running over bicyclists, train engineers plowing into cars, submarine pilots surfacing under ships and airline pilots landing on other planes. In each case, the object or obstruction should have been easily noticed but was not.

Scientists have been researching this “inattentional blindness”, and other similar phenomenon - and the theory seems to be that there is no perception without attention.

The right number is (I think) 14. But that’s not really the point.

The point is this: did you see the gorilla walk across the screen and beat its chest? According to the original research (you can read it here), there’s a fifty-fifty chance you didn’t. Which fifty are you?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I counted 12 passes for the white team, ignored the black, and did see the gorilla, but did not notice it specifically beat its chest.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I counted 15, ignored the black, and stared at the gorilla for a little bit :D

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I've seen this before. The first time I didn't see it.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I counted 15. I was a bit hung up at one part It was where the guy caught it, but it looked like the girl did first.
I saw the gorilla and saw the chest-beating.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
12 passes but didnt notice the gorilla :)

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I correctly counted the number of passes but failed to see the gorilla. I'm totally one of thos people that hyperfocuses on some task to the point where I can fail to notice new important data coming in that I should pay attention to. I'm still undecided on J/P but I suspect this may be more common in J types.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I correctly counted the number of passes but failed to see the gorilla. I'm totally one of thos people that hyperfocuses on some task to the point where I can fail to notice new important data coming in that I should pay attention to. I'm still undecided on J/P but I suspect this may be more common in J types.
Perhaps. I am an unrepentant J, and may have noticed the gorilla simply because I am used to monitoring information from simultaneous and varied sources at work.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
15, and I saw the gorilla. He just kinda appears, it's hard to miss.

thistledown

MBTI Type
INFP
LOL!!! I counted 16 passes. The video says the correct answer is 15. I don't know where I got that 1 extra pass from. Maybe I lost count in between.

And I definitely did not see the gorilla.

Sunny Ghost

i counted 12 passes, but i was looking all around the video too. i did see the gorilla. however, in my intro to psych class, my teacher showed us this video too. the first time i watched it, i missed the gorilla entirely. i'd forgotten that he would pop up in it this time, but i remembered there was something fishy about the video.

lucibelle

MBTI Type
I__P
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Counted 16, saw the gorilla. :)

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
counted 16 and missed the gorilla even though I had read your answers and was looking for it

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I've actually come across this a little while ago and read about it before I found the video (so I noticed the gorilla). But I have shown it to a couple of people I know and none of them noticed the gorilla.

There are other videos like this too...
[YOUTUBE="d5_laBZtRbA"]Another selective attention test[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE="6JONMYxaZ_s"]and another[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE="FWSxSQsspiQ"]The Door Study[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Thanks Disney Geek. I watched the second one and didn't notice any of the mistakes before they were pointed out. That said, I know I don't recognize these things at least.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've seen it before. The first time I did, I didn't notice the gorilla.