• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Talk Deeply, Be Happy?

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, I think that is the difference between deep conversation in the sense of sharing more personal issues with someone else and another kind of deep conversation that can be disturbing for some.

I think the stereotype of existentialism causing unhappiness is because when you want to look at reality squarely in the face and get to know it, you cannot have the ordinary things that protect you from being aware of it, like your preferred entertainment, chatting to friends, etc. even if you talk about really deep personal stuff.

The happiness lost is just a superficial kind of happiness anyway though. You can gain a much more secure kind of happiness if you can somehow come to terms with the existential questions, at least that is how I feel about it.

gromit

likes this
Topics directly related to the depth of all life can be unnerving.
If you lack a good degree of security in yourself and in life, deep assessment has the ability to tear your perspective to shreds. I would imagine that a number of people don't consider this before diving into depth. Potentially, it is why the stereotype would be existenalism causing unhappiness.

OH WOW. That is a really interesting idea. I want to consider that some more.

Yes, I think that is the difference between deep conversation in the sense of sharing more personal issues with someone else and another kind of deep conversation that can be disturbing for some.

I think the stereotype of existentialism causing unhappiness is because when you want to look at reality squarely in the face and get to know it, you cannot have the ordinary things that protect you from being aware of it, like your preferred entertainment, chatting to friends, etc. even if you talk about really deep personal stuff.

The happiness lost is just a superficial kind of happiness anyway though. You can gain a much more secure kind of happiness if you can somehow come to terms with the existential questions, at least that is how I feel about it.

And this too! I just got done spending several days with a very 'existential' friend who also happens to be pretty depressed. I went through a short existential/depressed phase too, in college, and I get that way a little during the darkest winter months each year.

Anyway I want to think some more about all these ideas that you've both brought up.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Epicurus was happy and he was the fucking man. One day I'll be like him.

KDude

I don't exactly prefer to participate in deep discussions for too long. I can sit in admiration of someone who has something profound to say, for sure. I myself don't exactly have.. that level of endurance (for lack of a better word) or attention span in how I converse. I sort of like finding a way to encapsulate depth in as short of statements as possible. I admire a lot of wisdom literature that tends to do that too. That said, I'm not lacking in depth, like there's an either/or scenario here. I don't care about talking about the weather either. It just is.. and then I move on. Same goes for a lot of mundane subjects. I'd rather find a way to do more things with people first, and mix it up a bit with some deep discussions.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Wonderful stuff..

I do not find this "counter intuitive" though. Au Contaire!!

I am always at my best with people who can share their depth and delve into mine.

Lark

So if you got a big deep voice like honey monster you going to be happy? I thought it was the honey that made him happy all this time

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlQLkBdKu4o"]props[/YOUTUBE]

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I feel that being too far in either direction will not allow for attaining a proper balance and stable happiness. It's more likely to teeter if there isn't something to even it. However, I am a firm believer in the middle-ground in relation to almost anything.
I agree. I think most people need to appreciate both simple pleasures and complex thoughts sometimes, with a whole lot of in between (though exact balance points will vary of course).