• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Seattle Stereotype- Passive Aggressive?

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So I was born and raised in Seattle, a lot people from out of town like to say that people here are Passive Aggressive.

I wonder why and how can a whole city of people be labeled as "Passive Aggressive", any thoughts?!

:huh:

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't know, I just visited Seattle for the first time last month. I really liked it on the west side of the cascades. It's very pleasant. But as for the people, I didn't really interact with too many of them. It was the biggest city I've ever been to, so it was a bit different for me to see the fast pace of it all, but over all I didn't notice a lack of manners in the people.

Maybe people are looking for information to label the natives of Seattle and that's the only negative thing they could see that was common?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
That's just what the people who have never been to Minnesota say.

KDude

I once saw a 400 lb naked woman shouting at the top of her lungs in downtown Seattle. trumps all homeless experiences i've had. even NO

i'd say y'all are pretty aggressive :D

this goes without mentioning how many serial killers came from there

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've never heard that about Seattle. I have heard it about Minnesota, and it can be true. It's the shadow side of Minnesota Nice. But we're not all passive agressive, either. :D

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here in California , we think everyone and everything cool comes out of Seattle. We have this idealized image of the place.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It could be true. I'm also from the Pacific Northwest, but Canada - Victoria (Vancouver Island). I know that in Vancouver at least, people have somewhat the reputation of being suspicious and not very friendly. I wonder if that could lend itself to passive-aggression. I think I can be a bit passive-aggressive myself!

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So I was born and raised in Seattle, a lot people from out of town like to say that people here are Passive Aggressive.

I wonder why and how can a whole city of people be labeled as "Passive Aggressive", any thoughts?!

People are passive aggressive everywhere, not just Seattle.

No locale is devoid of passive aggressive people.

Being passive aggressive affords cowardly people the chance to be a douchebag while taking on very little risk.

Once Seattle sacrifices all their passive aggressive people to the Rain Zombies, it will be a shining city of light. :cheese:

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
man i love seattle. spent a lot of time there.
i love the vibe, and i guess that has to
do with the people.

man and the food. the food!
everybody at shucker's is so nice. :)
and the brooklyn oyster bar. swoon.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
man i love seattle. spent a lot of time there.
i love the vibe, and i guess that has to
do with the people.

man and the food. the food!
everybody at shucker's is so nice. :)
and the brooklyn oyster bar. swoon.

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that Vancouver is nicer, though. :) Of course, I have spent far more time in Vancouver than Seattle. I do like Seattle, at least I like Pike Place Market, and the many great bookshops and cafes. But...most people I know who've been to both say something like "I went to Seattle and thought it was great, but then I went to Vancouver and that was like a better version of Seattle!"

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

That's....hmm. not a fair assessment. I think the retired hippie-vibe may have something to do with that.

I lived in that area for a few years and I miss it. I found everyone tremendously friendly for the most part.

I guess people forget about those WTO riots...heh heh

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
it's pretty much an ideal. I bet a lot of the Indies and hipsters from Seattle would like to think of themselves as passive agressive, and some probably are, but it's become a hype more than a reality, per se. that's the problem with hip town.

but still, Seattle is probably my favorite place in the continental US. :wubbie:

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hmmm, good to hear all your comments and input. They must be trippin! Next time I hear that Im going to have to make them give me some concrete examples...this will be an interesting debate. I will keep ya posted ;)

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I've visted twice (my uncle moved over years and years ago when he married an American lady). Everyone there I spoke to was really friendly. I loved it, and could see myself living there.

LotsOfHeart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I took the assertiveness quiz. I got "assertive", which is apparently an option as well.

As far as people in Seattle being passive aggressive, some are I'm sure, but every state has passive aggressive people. Maybe the technological thing Seattle has going on, or the progressive mentality there, like San Francisco, attracts a certain type of personality in some cases, that maybe could be interpreted by some as douchey. But you're not going to find any shortage of people like that anywhere else. And some places without those kinds of people might have prevalence of other types to avoid, like rednecks or criminals (or in some scenarios, people who are both).

So, maybe there's some truth...But really, there's plenty of passive aggressive people. The East Coast is certainly crawling with them, this I know from experience. :doh:

G

Glycerine

That's just what the people who have never been to Minnesota say.

hahahahaha, Haphazard. You're awesome! That's what I was thinking. "Minnesota nice" is a great euphemism for "passive aggressive".

Sparrow, I have lived in WA and MN, I would say Seattle is colder to outsiders but not passive aggressive. I would say that MN is the opposite.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, the millions who live in a city are all exactly the same attitude. Every, single, one of them.

Sounds like a very rational and reasonable thing to think. :doh:

G

Glycerine

Yes, the millions who live in a city are all exactly the same attitude. Every, single, one of them.

Sounds like a very rational and reasonable thing to think. :doh:

haha, I took it as the "general vibe" of the city but yeah, good point.