• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's the difference between hurt Fe and hurt Fi?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I know the difference between Fe's and Fi's reasoning for choosing ethical standards, moral behavior, etc. but I've seen people talk about hurt Fe vs. hurt Fi. Do they really look that different? How so? Examples please. Thanks.

Sunny Ghost

I know the difference between Fe's and Fi's reasoning for choosing ethical standards, moral behavior, etc. but I've seen people talk about hurt Fe vs. hurt Fi. Do they really look that different? How so? Examples please. Thanks.

I think a hurt Fe comes off a bit more chaotic than a hurt Fi... reason being they just internalize it all... most of the time. I think many might be oblivious to me being hurt, unless they notice a lack of smiling and bubbliness. With a hurt Fe, however, it's usually pretty obvious... they make their pain well known or just act erratically. However, this is just from my experience with myself, an INFP, an ENFP, an ESFJ, and an INFJ. I do have one enigma of this type however, and that is my ESFP roommate, who is technically an Fi... but she makes her pain heard. But another ESFP that I know of often hides her pain, pretending to be all smiles on the outside even when shit's got her down.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hmmm...I don't know that this helps, because I've been made to understand that Fe is actually more likely to repress feelings so as not to affect other people or cause disturbance, that Fi doms (IxFPs) will internalize things, but not necessarily repress for the sake of others, and that ExFPs are more likely to have outbursts and be "chaotic" as you say, because of a combination of being extroverted and having a need to be real or "authentic" with lack of regards to what other people think.

What I'm trying to find out here, is if someone had really hurt Fe would it start to look like extroverted Fi, i.e. acting out with lack of regard to society and other people.

I guess.

I hope this thread gets plenty of responses, because I'm a little confused.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
Hmmm...I don't know that this helps, because I've been made to understand that Fe is actually more likely to repress feelings so as not to affect other people or cause disturbance, that Fi doms (IxFPs) will internalize things, but not necessarily repress for the sake of others, and that ExFPs are more likely to have outbursts and be "chaotic" as you say, because of a combination of being extroverted and having a need to be real or "authentic" with lack of regards to what other people think.

What I'm trying to find out here, is if someone had really hurt Fe would it start to look like extroverted Fi, i.e. acting out with lack of regard to society and other people.

I guess.

I hope this thread gets plenty of responses, because I'm a little confused.

Hurt Fe revolves around other people. A way I might have a hurt Fe attack is if I hurt someone else I instantly feel what I am doing to them, and Ni backing it up, I see all the angles in which I am hurting them which in turn makes me feel like I am utterly swimming in guilt and self doubt. It feels like self hatred and self loathing for being a useless waste who is unworthy of love.

I've also seen it show up as self sacrifice, maybe if I hurt myself bad enough someone will care kind of thing.

Fe is totally reliant on external forces.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hurt Fe revolves around other people. A way I might have a hurt Fe attack is if I hurt someone else I instantly feel what I am doing to them, and Ni backing it up, I see all the angles in which I am hurting them which in turn makes me feel like I am utterly swimming in guilt and self doubt. It feels like self hatred and self loathing for being a useless waste who is unworthy of love.

I've also seen it show up as self sacrifice, maybe if I hurt myself bad enough someone will care kind of thing.

Hmmm...yeah, but I when I hurt other people I feel like shit, too. It makes me feel guilty too.

BUT WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE. Do you feel vengeful? Do you want to hurt other people before they hurt you? Do you ever act out to punish people?

gromit

likes this
When my ENFJ friend is hurt... EVERYONE knows about it. And you hear about why, and what caused it. A LOT.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Let me give you a couple of scenarios:

1) I think this is the difference between me and my ENFJ sister (I could be wrong, maybe I'm the ENFJ and she's the ENFP?) ... she brings her friend home unexpectedly one night to my mother's house, and acts appalled that my mother and I are arguing. I am very upset and can't calm down, I am crying at that point because I'm upset about more than my mom (this was a very bad time in my life, had just broke up with my ex, was depressed) and my sister actually approaches me and basically asks me to behave myself for her friend. She totally disregarded how upset I was and thought I was out of line for being hysterically upset when she brought her friend home UNEXPECTEDLY...which I still think is fucking ridiculous and rude of her. Her friend, a guy, some sort of IxFx seemed like he was more concerned about me than my sister did. What she cared about is that I didn't embarrass her and that I behave myself. She has asked me on other occasions basically to tone it down if I'm upset.

2) Someone who wants to tell the truth and be themselves, even if it is to the point of offending other people. Someone who likes teasing or provoking other people. Could this be an FJ with hurt Fe or is this actually someone with Fi?

Sunny Ghost

I realized I confused myself also when referring to my ENFP friends... I forgot they are Fi and not Fe.

Would a Fe look like an extroverted Fi when hurt? Lemme think about this... ESFJ's, ENFJ's, and ISFJ's, and INFJ's right? That's who we're talking about here specifically?

Mmmk. I don't know that they act out without regard to society, but specific people, especially maybe one that they are hurt by? Yes!

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
BUT WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE. Do you feel vengeful? Do you want to hurt other people before they hurt you? Do you ever act out to punish people?

Fi Hurt:
butthurt.jpg

Fe Hurt:
mad-dog.jpg

:happy:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

That's how I would have assumed they displayed, as a T type I don't think my personal experience with Fe is going to help but I expect hurt Fe would not want to upset the overall feeling of others around them, as with most things in life though I don't expect that courtesy is automatically given to the people they are annoyed with or care about the most.

I have a Fe dom, two Fi doms and a Fe aux in my family, the Fe dom when hurt would either emotionally crumble and be unavailable for others, or try to express her emotions in a manner that attempted to make other people understand without upsetting them (unless they were the cause of the angst), one Fi dom would appear hurt to the core and withdraw, she wouldn’t strike out at others. The other Fi dom showed minimal outward concern about others reactions to their emotions, they appeared completely unaffected on the outside but would be capable of lashing out. The Fe aux would try to minimise their impact on others, they would however express their emotions, moody was very much them, sulky too when hurt.

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Okay, does this make sense, when I am in a mood I avoid people because they will hurt me more because I am Fi and a hurt Fe would avoid people because they are afraid to hurt others?

I really don't understand Fi and Fe all that much. I've been meaning to get around to it.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Okay, does this make sense, when I am in a mood I avoid people because they will hurt me more because I am Fi and a hurt Fe would avoid people because they are afraid to hurt others?

Potentially, makes sense to me that things could happen that way.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do EXTPs cry from their tertiary Fe?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you hurt me, I disappear, basically, is what it looks like. I don't say anything, I get up and leave, go someplace where you can't find me and stay there, whatever that means (lock the door, turn the phone off, be invisible on the computer, etc.) The more I want to keep the relationship, the less willing I am to talk about it. I have found most people will be happy to just resume where we left off just before the bad thing happened, and if I am left alone long enough, I can usually muster that, and eventually get back in synch. Actually, I guess I don't like to talk about it if I don't want to continue, either. I just stop interacting.

Ok, and there's this: It's not even so much about me. Some things I take really hard because of the fact that people do such things to each other. And incidentally, it happened to me. But it's not about me, it's about us as human beings. Like, if I see a sadistic movie, it's not so much the event that's happening on the screen, it's the fact that someone could think like that, that we have that in us, that hurts me. The idea of the thing.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you hurt me, I disappear, basically, is what it looks like. I don't say anything, I get up and leave, go someplace where you can't find me and stay there, whatever that means (lock the door, turn the phone off, be invisible on the computer, etc.) The more I want to keep the relationship, the less willing I am to talk about it. I have found most people will be happy to just resume where we left off just before the bad thing happened, and if I am left alone long enough, I can usually muster that, and eventually get back in synch. Actually, I guess I don't like to talk about it if I don't want to continue, either. I just stop interacting.

Please tell me if it is the same when I opt to leave a conversation that is becoming hurtful/emotionally charged because I want to leave before I say something I will regret later? Yes, I feel pain in such circumstances, but it does not shut me down, if anything it is a primer for me to engage my self protection mechanisms. When I have done this in the past, at times I have been accused of "not wanting to communicate", to which I have replied "It's in both of our best interest that I stop communicating right now, and get some air. please excuse me."

Same or different? :thinking:

Ok, and there's this: It's not even so much about me. Some things I take really hard because of the fact that people do such things to each other. And incidentally, it happened to me. But it's not about me, it's about us as human beings. Like, if I see a sadistic movie, it's not so much the event that's happening on the screen, it's the fact that someone could think like that, that we have that in us, that hurts me. The idea of the thing.

I understand where you are coming from on this one. When I saw the movie "Hostel" I was pretty disturbed. When I was a kid, those type of gore films did not bother me so much, and now I think I know why, it is because I wasn't contemplating the underlying humanity (or complete lack thereof) of it all.

Similarly, I get somewhat upset when I hear of cases like Natalie Holloway's. Such events happen all too frequently, and it horrid and evil, and I wish the bastards that do such things were immediately rounded up and shot in the skull several times. But maybe that is a difference in how we as humans react to such pain/hurt: (a) some of us are more prone to internalizing it, and (b) others are prone to internalizing it to a limited degree, and then channel it into anger, disgust, resentment, etc. I'm not saying one approach is better than the other at all, just that there appear to be a few distinct means of processing that kind of energy.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
Hmm, I am confused by reading this thread.

My two closest friends are Fe Dom and Fe Aux and I am Fi Dom and we are definitely different when we express hurt. Also to take into consideration are the other functions. I have Te somewhere so when I am 'generally/overall hurt' and it is not directed at someone in particular but by life/society as a whole, I get very Te. I don't usually express hurt at all. I get judgmental and rigid outwardly but inwardly, I am moody and depressed, over-thinking and over-feeling. When I express hurt to my friends, I can't really talk until I, myself, have calmed down.

For example: My ESFJ friend said something really hurtful and rude (plus condensing and other things :steam:) to me a few weeks ago. I was maybe stressed that day/emotional overall so I burst into tears, not the sobbing kind, just tears. It took me a while to collect myself and express to her why she hurt me, how she hurt, why I was generally hurt and etc. This is very rare btw. I seldom cry in front of others, over anything unless I am completely overwhelmed. It seemed like at first, I held it in but it was too much so my dam broke and I had to express myself in an erratic way.

My Fe friends don't usually hold in until they explode. Their Fe allows them to naturally express their emotions as they come, that day, not usually days or several internal reasonings later. I try to deal with my own feelings first and if I can't, I find a friend but if I can, I don't like to share. Fe doesn't seem to have that strict barrier. Not to say that they can't deal themselves but they don't feel that it's uncomfortable I am thinking.

I would seldom say something like, "You really hurt me..." because first of all, to me, I am in control of my feelings so whatever I feel, I am the first one responsible. If I am sad, it is partially my fault so I have misgivings about blaming others or telling them I am sad/upset. I somehow should have known better than to expect you to ... or trust you to ... It hurts my pride the most, every time but I am working on this as I realize if they don't know how you feel, they can't act in accordance to how your feel. But Fe doesn't have a problem being very direct about how they feel and holding others responsible. I mostly only express my feelings if it will accomplish something in my external environment or with my relationships. If it wouldn't, I don't express them just to share. It's like I have a rigid agenda for all my feelings if I am going to expose them to the open. Not that I am not often indecisive and uncertain about how I feel.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hmm, I am confused by reading this thread.

My two closest friends are Fe Dom and Fe Aux and I am Fi Dom and we are definitely different when we express hurt. Also to take into consideration are the other functions. I have Te somewhere so when I am 'generally/overall hurt' and it is not directed at someone in particular but by life/society as a whole, I get very Te. I don't usually express hurt at all. I get judgmental and rigid outwardly but inwardly, I am moody and depressed, over-thinking and over-feeling. When I express hurt to my friends, I can't really talk until I, myself, have calmed down.

For example: My ESFJ friend said something really hurtful and rude (plus condensing and other things :steam:) to me a few weeks ago. I was maybe stressed that day/emotional overall so I burst into tears, not the sobbing kind, just tears. It took me a while to collect myself and express to her why she hurt me, how she hurt, why I was generally hurt and etc. This is very rare btw. I seldom cry in front of others, over anything unless I am completely overwhelmed. It seemed like at first, I held it in but it was too much so my dam broke and I had to express myself in an erratic way.

My Fe friends don't usually hold in until they explode. Their Fe allows them to naturally express their emotions as they come, that day, not usually days or several internal reasonings later. I try to deal with my own feelings first and if I can't, I find a friend but if I can, I don't like to share. Fe doesn't seem to have that strict barrier. Not to say that they can't deal themselves but they don't feel that it's uncomfortable I am thinking.

I would seldom say something like, "You really hurt me..." because first of all, to me, I am in control of my feelings so whatever I feel, I am the first one responsible. If I am sad, it is partially my fault so I have misgivings about blaming others or telling them I am sad/upset. I somehow should have known better than to expect you to ... or trust you to ... It hurts my pride the most, every time but I am working on this as I realize if they don't know how you feel, they can't act in accordance to how your feel. But Fe doesn't have a problem being very direct about how they feel and holding others responsible. I mostly only express my feelings if it will accomplish something in my external environment or with my relationships. If it wouldn't, I don't express them just to share. It's like I have a rigid agenda for all my feelings if I am going to expose them to the open. Not that I am not often indecisive and uncertain about how I feel.

Awesome. Now I think I have Fe. Thanks. I think. I have no problem telling people how I feel, holding them responsible, and I cry easily.

Does anyone think this is an extrovert/introvert difference? Would there be a difference if you're INFP and I'm ENFP?

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I have to agree with Rebe here that if I am hurt (something not related to my values), my first instinct would be to look inward to see if I had done something wrong. Perhaps there is a bit of sp involved there.

Even if there is a large thunderstorm roiling within, I rarely lash out but people can usually sense the moodiness and prickliness emanating through the barriers.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5

That is Type 6 behavior . It is literally described as "If I get into enough trouble, someone will come and rescue me"

Interesting.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Key here is that Fi uses empathy and Fe uses sympathy.

Fi being emphatic means that if he can understand why someone hurt his Fi, he will retreat and blame himself for what ever happened. But when he cant understand, he will attack using Te(looking failure in logic from external world), and he will most likely find a failure(or something that will support his point of view) from it and attack using logic(logic in this case doesent have to be logical, but the thinking process works with logic, even tho the logic might suck in it) and act cold. Dom Fi can empathize better causing him to retreat(and take blame) easier and since Fi dom has lower Te, he wont attack back so easily, than EXFP would. XXTJ would be pretty bad at using empathy and would attack using Te more readily

When someone hurts you, you will lose your sympathy easier than empathy, this is why Fe user would rage at you easier than Fi user.