• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's the difference between hurt Fe and hurt Fi?

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
One of the main problems my husband(ISTJ) and I have had is due to our differences in conflict resolution, or how we behave after we've hurt each other. His tendency is to stonewall, disappear, and nurse himself back to health. The most typical solution to his hurt is distraction from the problem. There's no need for him to talk things out, discuss feelings, or even openly make amends. After he's had time to cool off(usually takes some hours of playing a sport), he reappears; just like that, all is well for him.

On the other hand, I realize a need to talk and feel compelled towards making active repairs to the damage between us; damage that may take him months or years to acknowledge. He inadvertently keeps the appearance of peace between us and delays any further pain by withdrawing, but the circumstance that caused us pain will eventually re-emerge, assuming it goes away in the first place. Withdrawing as a solution strategy simply delays the inevitable in a relationship. I attempt to prevent the problem or solve it through communication of our feelings and reconnection, but I've more than occasionally exacerbated the original disconnect by seeking closure and resolution too soon. At our worst, Fe and Fi is the difference between pursuer and distancer. His feelings are much more independent of me than mine are of him. As a result, he can fully resolve them without any of my input at all.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Key here is that Fi uses empathy and Fe uses sympathy.

Fi being emphatic means that if he can understand why someone hurt his Fi, he will retreat and blame himself for what ever happened. But when he cant understand, he will attack using Te(looking failure in logic from external world), and he will most likely find a failure(or something that will support his point of view) from it and attack using logic(logic in this case doesent have to be logical, but the thinking process works with logic, even tho the logic might suck in it) and act cold. Dom Fi can empathize better causing him to retreat(and take blame) easier and since Fi dom has lower Te, he wont attack back so easily, than EXFP would. XXTJ would be pretty bad at using empathy and would attack using Te more readily

When someone hurts you, you will lose your sympathy easier than empathy, this is why Fe user would rage at you easier than Fi user.

:yes:

so i primarily use Ne and Fi...

generally i only express actual anger with people who are close, and if the issue is one that i feel has arisen often - otherwise, i'll typically try to address the issue in an empathetic but assertive way. if i don't feel like it's worth it, i'll just think they're annoying, internalize my anger, and leave. and then vent my anger to someone else (which is the difference between introverts with Fi and extraverts with Fi, i suspect)

but in close relationships, the problem for me in the past has been that i don't really think about the relationship first because i assume that we are still close regardless of this conflict. but i've found that sometimes i assume this and those with Fe do not. and i'll say things in argument that can hurt F, but they're always for the sake of argument... i don't really carry what's said in argument with me. i assume it's part of the emotional outburst. but the people i know with Fe do not assume this at all.

and yeah, if there's a serious reason why someone hurt me, then i'll blame myself for not understanding, and try to empathize with them. generally i'm the first to attack and the first to apologize. sometimes i'll still feel like they're still in the wrong, but in the end i care more about the relationship than being right, and i have to prove to the Fe user that they mean a lot to me regardless of the angry things i said :blushing:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
One of the main problems my husband(ISTJ) and I have had is due to our differences in conflict resolution, or how we behave after we've hurt each other. His tendency is to stonewall, disappear, and nurse himself back to health. The most typical solution to his hurt is distraction from the problem. There's no need for him to talk things out, discuss feelings, or even openly make amends. After he's had time to cool off(usually takes some hours of playing a sport), he reappears; just like that, all is well for him.

On the other hand, I realize a need to talk and feel compelled towards making active repairs to the damage between us; damage that may take him months or years to acknowledge. He inadvertently keeps the appearance of peace between us and delays any further pain by withdrawing, but the circumstance that caused us pain will eventually re-emerge, assuming it goes away in the first place. Withdrawing as a solution strategy simply delays the inevitable in a relationship. I attempt to prevent the problem or solve it through communication of our feelings and reconnection, but I've more than occasionally exacerbated the original disconnect by seeking closure and resolution too soon. At our worst, Fe and Fi is the difference between pursuer and distancer. His feelings are much more independent of me than mine are of him. As a result, he can fully resolve them without any of my input at all.

So you're saying pursuing someone for conflict resolution when upset is Fe? Because when I'm upset (unless I just totally hate that person and never want to see them again) I seek to talk to that person and I'd even rather argue than avoid the subject. Is that Fe? I have a hard time resolving my own feelings without the other person discussing it with me, etc.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
:yes:

i don't really think about the relationship first because i assume that we are still close regardless of this conflict. but i've found that sometimes i assume this and those with Fe do not. and i'll say things in argument that can hurt F, but they're always for the sake of argument... i don't really carry what's said in argument with me. i assume it's part of the emotional outburst. but the people i know with Fe do not assume this at all.

This, combined with everything else, really makes me think I might be ENFJ.

and yeah, if there's a serious reason why someone hurt me, then i'll blame myself for not understanding, and try to empathize with them. generally i'm the first to attack and the first to apologize. sometimes i'll still feel like they're still in the wrong, but in the end i care more about the relationship than being right, and i have to prove to the Fe user that they mean a lot to me regardless of the angry things i said :blushing:

Hmmm...but I apologize quickly once I've calmed down.

I have both! I have no type!

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Please tell me if it is the same when I opt to leave a conversation that is becoming hurtful/emotionally charged because I want to leave before I say something I will regret later? Yes, I feel pain in such circumstances, but it does not shut me down, if anything it is a primer for me to engage my self protection mechanisms. When I have done this in the past, at times I have been accused of "not wanting to communicate", to which I have replied "It's in both of our best interest that I stop communicating right now, and get some air. please excuse me."

Same or different? :thinking:

I understand where you are coming from on this one. When I saw the movie "Hostel" I was pretty disturbed. When I was a kid, those type of gore films did not bother me so much, and now I think I know why, it is because I wasn't contemplating the underlying humanity (or complete lack thereof) of it all.

Similarly, I get somewhat upset when I hear of cases like Natalie Holloway's. Such events happen all too frequently, and it horrid and evil, and I wish the bastards that do such things were immediately rounded up and shot in the skull several times. But maybe that is a difference in how we as humans react to such pain/hurt: (a) some of us are more prone to internalizing it, and (b) others are prone to internalizing it to a limited degree, and then channel it into anger, disgust, resentment, etc. I'm not saying one approach is better than the other at all, just that there appear to be a few distinct means of processing that kind of energy.

It's not as conscious for me as what you're describing, although I have realized there is a benefit to not talking right at that moment. But I don't stop talking because it's better that I don't talk -- I stop talking because I literally can't talk right then. Words won't come out. It's kind of like zooming in and then zooming out. I just zoom out as far away as I can get, and stay there. Hopefully when I zoom back in, I left the thing that upset me back in the room I zoomed out to. I know where it is. :) At some point down the road, the opportunity to discuss what happened will usually come back up in some organic way, and I'm usually willing to wait however long it takes to be able to discuss it with the right timing and intonation.

Yeah, the Natalie Holloway situations. Deeply disturbing, raises all kinds of questions about good and evil and postmodernist thought and religion and ... stuff that could keep you up at night.

Now if you make me mad, that's a whole 'nuther story, one where you wish I'd zoom out and stay there! But again, it's better not to talk because for sure I will say things I don't even know I'm saying and that I will regret and the other person will remember and resent. I have a hot temper and a sharp tongue so I've had to learn how not to use them.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I seek to talk to that person and I'd even rather argue than avoid the subject. Is that Fe? I have a hard time resolving my own feelings without the other person discussing it with me, etc.
I suffer from the same condition. and So I ask the same question.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
So you're saying pursuing someone for conflict resolution when upset is Fe? Because when I'm upset (unless I just totally hate that person and never want to see them again) I seek to talk to that person and I'd even rather argue than avoid the subject. Is that Fe?
Not at all, but it is one way the difference has manifest in my relationship.

I have a hard time resolving my own feelings without the other person discussing it with me, etc.
Why is that? What's your motivation regarding such a discussion? Concerning conflict, negative feelings in me most naturally get resolved once I'm better able to understand the feelings of my husband, his motivations and needs; and, we're both clear on how we are to treat each other going forward.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not at all, but it is one way the difference has manifest in my relationship.

Why is that? What's your motivation regarding such a discussion? Concerning conflict, negative feelings in me most naturally get resolved once I'm better able to understand the feelings of my husband, his motivations and needs; and, we're both clear on how we are to treat each other going forward.

Because I hate the feeling of being disconnected from someone I care about, I hate that feeling of being angry or sad, and the disconnected feeling makes it like 1000X worse for me. I'm not saying I never need space when I'm mad, because I do, but I really seek to discuss things or work things out, or even argue to avoid the "disconnect." Another thing is that it's a lot easier to work things out when you understand what the other person's motivations are. A lot of problems are caused by misunderstanding the other person's motives, intentions, etc.

I don't like the feeling of there being animosity in a room even with someone who is only an acquaintence - like if I have to be around an acquaintence I've had a problem with and can't avoid them for whatever reason, I hate having that feeling of unresolved issues and I often will apologize or forgive more quickly once I've calmed down for that reason.

It's funny because I seem to embrace confrontation, but the feeling of there being real problems with people I care about is almost unbearable to me sometimes. I kind of freak out sometimes if I get that "disconnect" feeling, especially in a relationship.

It's even worse when I think something is my fault and I've hurt someone - that makes it even worse, the guilt, and makes me even more inclined to want to talk it out.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Looking at it from an outside perspective, it is much easier for me to tell if I have hurt an Fi-Dom than an Fe-Aux. Fe seems to hold a lot in maybe for the sake of harmony and making everybody happy.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This, combined with everything else, really makes me think I might be ENFJ.

Hmmm...but I apologize quickly once I've calmed down.

I have both! I have no type!

never mind marmalade :(

i just took a test and came out with higher Fe than Fi o_O;

i think i relate more to Fe also, but not really Ni as much as Ne

i know not what to do with myself

wanna make our own type? c:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
never mind marmalade :(

i just took a test and came out with higher Fe than Fi o_O;

i think i relate more to Fe also, but not really Ni as much as Ne

i know not what to do with myself

wanna make our own type? c:

Ne + Fe doesent work because you need one process that is extraverted and one that is introverted as main functions.

Main functions work together something like this:

You decide if something is right or wrong before you internalize it(use extraverted judging) and then collect those things from inside of your head(use introverted perceiving function). Or you try to internalize as much information as possible(use extraverted perceiving) and then judge what is right or wrong inside of your head(use introverted judging).

For example INTJ would dismiss information that he doesent see logic in(he also might dismiss some information before having full understanding about it, because Te looks for faults that doesent support some snap judgment) and only sets correct information in logical constructs inside his head that he can readily seek using intuition. INTP would try to collect as much information(and information that might be true using "what if's" because of Ne) as possible and then judge what information is correct and what is not using introverted thinking(judging). Problem with INTPs way of thinking is that there is too much information(and possible trues) to be processed and to decide from what is true and what is not, this will slow down thinking and might lead to wrong conclusions because there might be too much options to choose from.
Same kind of process works with other J and P types

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ne + Fe doesent work because you need one process that is extraverted and one that is introverted as main functions.

Main functions work together something like this:

You decide if something is right or wrong before you internalize it(use extraverted judging) and then collect those things from inside of your head(use introverted perceiving function). Or you try to internalize as much information as possible(use extraverted perceiving) and then judge what is right or wrong inside of your head(use introverted judging).

For example INTJ would dismiss information that he doesent see logic in(he also might dismiss some information before having full understanding about it, because Te looks for faults that doesent support some snap judgment) and only sets correct information in logical constructs inside his head that he can readily seek using intuition. INTP would try to collect as much information(and information that might be true using "what if's" because of Ne) as possible and then judge what information is correct and what is not using introverted thinking(judging). Problem with INTPs way of thinking is that there is too much information(and possible trues) to be processed and to decide from what is true and what is not, this will slow down thinking and might lead to wrong conclusions because there might be too much options to choose from.
Same kind of process works with other J and P types

oh, haha, yeah... i know, about NeFe. i was kinda being melodramatic... F and all. :blushing: thank you for the explanation though, it's a good one. i understand J/P better now!!

and twas especially interesting to read about INTP, because both my dad and brother are INTPs. i am surrounded ;)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
WAIT i take it back

today i'm embracing ENFPness.

and i kind of read your whole blog and our thought patterns sound so much alike, lol. one i hope you're enjoying cali and two i would not be surprised if you were an ENFP with good Fe also :yes:

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Because I hate the feeling of being disconnected from someone I care about, I hate that feeling of being angry or sad, and the disconnected feeling makes it like 1000X worse for me. I'm not saying I never need space when I'm mad, because I do, but I really seek to discuss things or work things out, or even argue to avoid the "disconnect." Another thing is that it's a lot easier to work things out when you understand what the other person's motivations are. A lot of problems are caused by misunderstanding the other person's motives, intentions, etc.

I don't like the feeling of there being animosity in a room even with someone who is only an acquaintence - like if I have to be around an acquaintence I've had a problem with and can't avoid them for whatever reason, I hate having that feeling of unresolved issues and I often will apologize or forgive more quickly once I've calmed down for that reason.

It's funny because I seem to embrace confrontation, but the feeling of there being real problems with people I care about is almost unbearable to me sometimes. I kind of freak out sometimes if I get that "disconnect" feeling, especially in a relationship.

It's even worse when I think something is my fault and I've hurt someone - that makes it even worse, the guilt, and makes me even more inclined to want to talk it out.

This sounds a lot like Fe!

From my personal experience, I think when Fi is hurt, it knows it is hurt and it knows you hurt it, but might be a bit fuzzy on why it is hurt. This sometimes results in outbursts of "I hate you!". Fe, on the other hand, always seems to know exactly why it is hurt and wants to clarify the hurt with you, so when you apologize for causing that specific hurt everything will be okay again. But Fe will never give up until you acknowledge how you have hurt it and will continue to bring it up until it is resolved.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
From my personal experience, I think when Fi is hurt, it knows it is hurt and it knows you hurt it, but might be a bit fuzzy on why it is hurt. This sometimes results in outbursts of "I hate you!".

this is true.

i don't really care about how i'm hurt as much as why the other person hurt me.

i'm not so much looking for apology as much as affirmation that the person in question is aware that they did something i find cruel (not aware of what it was or why it hurt me, necessarily, just that i am hurting) and also that they still love/value me even though they did it.

that could just be me personally though.

G

Glycerine

Emotion explosion (a huge volcano explodes) vs. passive aggressiveness (it gives off a really nasty vibe). Many Fi users say that they keep their emotions pretty well hidden but it's usually really obvious to me when they are hurt. The vibe they give off is incredibly unpleasant. This is pertaining to F doms.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This sounds a lot like Fe!

From my personal experience, I think when Fi is hurt, it knows it is hurt and it knows you hurt it, but might be a bit fuzzy on why it is hurt. This sometimes results in outbursts of "I hate you!". Fe, on the other hand, always seems to know exactly why it is hurt and wants to clarify the hurt with you, so when you apologize for causing that specific hurt everything will be okay again. But Fe will never give up until you acknowledge how you have hurt it and will continue to bring it up until it is resolved.

This is me.

Emotion explosion (a huge volcano explodes) vs. passive aggressiveness (it gives off a really nasty vibe). Many Fi users say that they keep their emotions pretty well hidden but it's usually really obvious to me when they are hurt. The vibe they give off is incredibly unpleasant. This is pertaining to F doms.

I am the volcano, fer shure. Nobody close to me would argue that point, I don't think.

ENFJ? Or ESFJ who uses a lot of Fe/Ne (which would be unhealthy)?

G

Glycerine

That's a possibility. I think EXFJs tend to be the emotional volcanoes (maybe more of a EXFX thing?) and IXFPs tend to be the royalty of passive-agressiveness (maybe more of an IXFX thing?).

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I am seldom a volcano but when I am, it's absolutely vicious and comes in the form of I Hate You, You are Completely Stupid or I want nothing to do with you, all extreme forms of hurt/anger. I attack the whole person, not the one thing they did wrong. I don't do it often because well, it's extreme. When it gets to that level, I usually blow up and do a door slam. Sometimes I apologize afterwards for being extreme but still, the relationship is over, door slam. Just because I am no longer angry doesn't mean I am okay.