• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dream a little Dream

Sunny Ghost

I have yet to see any forum's on dreams... which is slightly disappointing, as it's a big interest of mine. I don't really have any particular thing's I'd like to discuss on it... but I feel as though dreams have meanings. They're quite fascinating! Every little detail of a dream is symbolic of either something you need to face or something you are going through. For example: Roads, trails, etc. are symbolic of your path in life. The vehicle you are in along that path are symbolic, as well as whether you're the driver, passenger or in the backseat. Do you drive your own life? Or are you being taken along for a ride? A recent theme for me has been loss of control. In one of my dreams I was on a waterslide... and obviously when you're on a waterslide you have no control of which way you are going. In a dream of mine from a few days ago, the floor beneath me began to shake and rattle and threw me up in the air. The stability of the ground beneath my feet was gone, and I had no control over the situation. However, my dream last night... I was driving up-hill. My car had a difficult time for the first half of this difficult mountain of a hill... but half way up, my car began to breeze through and I steadily climbed it without difficulty. I took this as a sign that I'm moving into a more positive direction again. I've always been a Carl Jung fan, and find his thoughts about dreams and the unconscious fascinating. It's amazing to me how one's mind is capable of juggling around completely abstract symbols or normal day to day objects and things, and turning them into deep, meaningful segments. It's a part of our own brain that we're incapable of fully understanding and that almost seems to run itself, as we're often completely blinded of it's own existence, and we certainly don't formulate these thoughts and connections in our waking states.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Dimethyltryptamine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

those speculations make perfect sense if you understand how psychedelics effect you consciousness and unconsciousness. carl jung used psychedelics to explore his unconsciousness and im sure his theories about dreams are heavily inspired by psychedelics.

H

Hate

I tend to have the same recurring dreams with the same theme.

In one dream I’ll be fighting people that are trying to break into my house and kill me.

The other one is people trying to break into my house and I start killing them.

Another one will be me being chased by people trying to kill me and no matter where I turn or how fast I run… they seem to just walk and somehow be at every corner I turn.

Then I had one in where I was actually stabbed to death and I felt myself die. I seem to be able to feel pain in my dreams sometimes… not sure why… But I died in my dream and then my spirit floated out of my body and I felt myself floating in the air… Once I floated in the air for a little bit I woke up.

I'm basically either fighting, killing, being chased, or being killed.

So what does this mean Dr. Joan?

Sunny Ghost

I tend to have the same recurring dreams with the same theme.

In one dream I’ll be fighting people that are trying to break into my house and kill me.

The other one is people trying to break into my house and I start killing them.

Another one will be me being chased by people trying to kill me and no matter where I turn or how fast I run… they seem to just walk and somehow be at every corner I turn.

Then I had one in where I was actually stabbed to death and I felt myself die. I seem to be able to feel pain in my dreams sometimes… not sure why… But I died in my dream and then my spirit floated out of my body and I felt myself floating in the air… Once I floated in the air for a little bit I woke up.

I'm basically either fighting, killing, being chased, or being killed.

So what does this mean Dr. Joan?

hahaha. ;) i have this pretty good source on dreams and meanings.... An Online Guide To Dream Interpretation. i use this to help me understand my dreams pretty regularly. since i know only tidbits of what you're going through at the moment, i'll just copy/paste, and let you make your own interpretation.

"To dream that you have been killed, suggests that your actions are disconnected from your emotions and conscience. The dream refers to drastic changes that you are trying to make. There is a characteristic that you want to get rid of or a habit that you want to end within yourself. Killing represents the killing off of the old parts and old habits. Alternatively, the dream represents feelings of being let down or betrayed by someone in your waking life. You are feeling overwhelmed, shocked and disappointed."

"To dream that you have been stabbed, signifies your struggle with power. You are experiencing feelings of inadequacy and defensiveness."

"To see a killer in your dream, suggests that an essential aspect of your emotions have been cut off. You feel that you are losing your identity and your individuality. Alternatively, this dream may represent purification and the healing process. You are standing up for yourself and putting a dramatic end to something."

"To dream that you kill someone, indicates that you are on the verge of losing your temper and self-control. Consider the person you have killed and ask yourself if you feel any rage towards him or her in your waking life. Your dream may be expressing some hidden anger. Alternatively, you may be trying to kill an aspect of yourself that is represented by the person killed. Identify the characteristics of this person and ask yourself which of these qualities you are trying to put an end to."

"To dream that you are being chased, signifies that you are avoiding a situation that you do not think is conquerable. It is a metaphor for some form of insecurity."

"To dream that you are in a fight, indicates inner turmoil. Some aspect of yourself is in conflict with another aspect of yourself. Perhaps an unresolved or unacknowledged part is fighting for its right to be heard. It may also parallel a fight or struggle that you are going through in your waking life. If you are fighting to the death, then it refers to your refusal to acknowledge some waking conflict or inner turmoil. You are unwilling to change your old attitudes and habits."
"To dream that you are chasing someone, signifies that you are attempting to overcome a difficult goal or task."

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
how about dreams where you're just watching what's going on... you have no body or anything... you're just watching, like a movie :shock:

when not dreaming that I'm being chased, I dream impersonally like that!

Sunny Ghost

Dimethyltryptamine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

those speculations make perfect sense if you understand how psychedelics effect you consciousness and unconsciousness. carl jung used psychedelics to explore his unconsciousness and im sure his theories about dreams are heavily inspired by psychedelics.

i was not aware that carl jung used psychedelics. awesome! haha.

what do you mean by this statement: "those speculations make perfect sense if you understand how psychedelics effect your consciousness and unconsciousness."?? i read your link, and it said that trace amounts of dmt are released during birth and during dream time. i don't think it makes it any less real, symbolic, or meaningful.

Sunny Ghost

how about dreams where you're just watching what's going on... you have no body or anything... you're just watching, like a movie :shock:

when not dreaming that I'm being chased, I dream impersonally like that!

perhaps you feel like you're just a spectator in your waking life? i'd say this might be the case if it's a very regular theme. i know i've had a few like this, and some where i'll switch from spectating to being the main actor of my dream.

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
(A quick suggestion. Your first post will be much easier to read if you paragraph it.)

Thanks for making this thread. This is a subject I'd been intending to sit down and think about for a while, and this has given me a reason to do so.

My dreams have always been an interesting experience, quite unlike anyone else I know, and I've asked quite a few. If anyone here can make any sense of what I'm about to discuss, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

--------------------

I rarely ever dream. I can go weeks or months without doing so, once almost a year. I have found this disconcerting at times, and this has been the case as far back as I can remember, all the way back to my childhood.

I've never had "weird" dreams. No people talking backwards, no upside down checked walls and riddled messages from talking sheep and dogs, or anything as psychedelic and strange as that. No abstract symbols or object metaphors.

The one exception to this is flying. In many dreams I have been able to lift myself off the ground in a sort of... floating state, and fly. Purely through thought. Sometimes it feels like lucid dreaming, because while I'm doing it in my dreams I can feel myself conciously thinking "This is outside the realm of possibility, but I'm making myself do it." Other than this, my dreams are always firmly set in reality.

There's one other defining quality I noticed in my dreams. They are always stories. They are almost never short, random dreams. They have characters, sometimes people I know, sometimes characters of my own creation, involved in complex, drawn out emotional situations. They don't always have an ending, but they always have a "plot", so to speak.

I've never been able to make sense of why I dream like this, nor why I dream so little.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:cheese: I'm always either being chased (usually by Hitler) or just observing... that may be saying something about my passivity in real life :ninja:

I usually tend to be rather passive and avoidant unless I feel that my action is necissary and then I unleash it full force... otherwise I"m content just enjoying myself- and I've been told many times by people I know who write that I just wouldn't be a beleivable main character... a much better sidekick- even in a story of my life :dry:

Sunny Ghost

(A quick suggestion. Your first post will be much easier to read if you paragraph it.)

Thanks for making this thread. This is a subject I'd been intending to sit down and think about for a while, and this has given me a reason to do so.

My dreams have always been an interesting experiences, quite unlike anyone else I know yet. If anyone here can make any sense of what I'm about to discuss, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I rarely ever dream. I can go weeks or months without doing so, once almost a year. I have found this disconcerting at times, and this has been the case as far back as I can remember, all the way back to my childhood.

I've never had "weird" dreams. No people talking backwards, no upside down checked walls and riddled messages from talking sheep and dogs, or anything as psychedelic and strange as that. No abstract symbols or object metaphors.

The one exception to this is flying. In many dreams I have been able to lift myself off the ground in a sort of... floating state, and fly. Purely through thought. Sometimes it feels like lucid dreaming, because while I'm doing it in my dreams I can feel myself conciously thinking "This is outside the realm of possibility, but I'm making myself do it." Other than this, my dreams are always firmly set in reality.

There's one other defining quality I noticed in my dreams. They are always stories. They are almost never short, random dreams. They have characters, sometimes people I know, sometimes characters of my own creation, involved in complex, drawn out emotional situations. They don't always have an ending, but they always have a "plot", so to speak.

I've never been able to make sense of why I dream like this, nor why I dream so little.

sorry about that... i tend to just try and get my thoughts out while they are there... and just avoid form. :doh:

everyone dreams! it's just a matter and really a practice of remembering. i've been one of those rare few that always paid close attention to my dreams. first thing upon waking up, before any other thoughts come and force my previous dream out of mind... i just lay or sit and ponder on them. constantly going over and over the different details, trying to come up with some sort of explanation for them. because i make this a normal part of my wake up routine, i remember my dreams nearly consistently. there are many tips you could find online on helping you remember your dreams. :yes:

flying dreams are a common one for me as well. and same with me, flying would always be the ticker, letting me know, "hey! you're dreaming right now!" it's always great when that happens, because then you start to gain a little bit of control over your dream. i'm not an "expert" lucid dreamer, but it's something i'd like to work on. it usually happens purely accidentally for me.

even the most commonplace of objects or seemingly normal things that occur in dreams still carry some symbolic weight. i gave a couple of examples in my original post, about the meanings of transportation and roads. but also, houses, floors, cats, doors... they all carry some meaningful weight. none of these objects are wild or strange in nature, but interpreted with whatever else may be occurring in your dream (as well as your waking life), they could hold a new world of meaning.

Sunny Ghost

:cheese: I'm always either being chased (usually by Hitler) or just observing... that may be saying something about my passivity in real life :ninja:

I usually tend to be rather passive and avoidant unless I feel that my action is necissary and then I unleash it full force... otherwise I"m content just enjoying myself- and I've been told many times by people I know who write that I just wouldn't be a beleivable main character... a much better sidekick- even in a story of my life :dry:
hrm... do you have any particular dream that stuck with you as being interesting and worth sharing? :cheese: being passive may or may not be a bad thing for you, just as being a spectator in your dreams may or may not be a bad thing. it may be the other content of your dreams that are more important. what is it you are watching? do any of these dreams attempt to invite you in to join first hand?

EDIT: i didn't even hit on the being chased thing. :(

i'll repost what i found for juice. :D
"To dream that you are being chased, signifies that you are avoiding a situation that you do not think is conquerable. It is a metaphor for some form of insecurity."

and also:
"To see Hitler in your dream, symbolizes oppression, fear, manipulation of power, and absolute control. The dream could be brought about by a situation where you are feeling helpless or by someone who is overly controlling or is making you feel less than human."

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
flying dreams are a common one for me as well. and same with me, flying would always be the ticker, letting me know, "hey! you're dreaming right now!" it's always great when that happens, because then you start to gain a little bit of control over your dream. i'm not an "expert" lucid dreamer, but it's something i'd like to work on. it usually happens purely accidentally for me.
I find this this interesting, because I've never actively tried to lucid dream. I've known of the concept for years, and always thought "that would be cool to do,"

even the most commonplace of objects or seemingly normal things that occur in dreams still carry some symbolic weight. i gave a couple of examples in my original post, about the meanings of transportation and roads. but also, houses, floors, cats, doors... they all carry some meaningful weight. none of these objects are wild or strange in nature, but interpreted with whatever else may be occurring in your dream (as well as your waking life), they could hold a new world of meaning.
Everything is always familiar to me. It's always places I know.

There's rarely any stand-out imagery. It's always about the people, the characters, their emotions and the situations that they're in. If I had to specify one thing that stands out, it's just that - the people and their feelings. Does dreaming about people and feelings imply anything?

I'm a writer, but strangely I've never written a story based on any of these dreams. They've never felt concrete and complete enough to, and they don't come often enough, which again is something I don't understand.

Isn't dreaming that little supposed to be a bad sign? *laughs*

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
hrm... do you have any particular dream that stuck with you as being interesting and worth sharing? :cheese: being passive may or may not be a bad thing for you, just as being a spectator in your dreams may or may not be a bad thing. it may be the other content of your dreams that are more important. what is it you are watching? do any of these dreams attempt to invite you in to join first hand?

EDIT: i didn't even hit on the being chased thing. :(

i'll repost what i found for juice. :D

and also:
"To see Hitler in your dream, symbolizes oppression, fear, manipulation of power, and absolute control. The dream could be brought about by a situation where you are feeling helpless or by someone who is overly controlling or is making you feel less than human."

Last night I dreamed that I watched a single mistake turn a family into zombies, who went on living like humans and were unaware that they were zombies and falling apart... I just watched, not even existing... I woke up disturbed that I just sat and watched :shock:

I have a feeling that the two of us dream of being chased for the same reason :laugh: though the hitler thing makes sense because the social system has always made me feel trapped :peepwall:

Sunny Ghost

I find this this interesting, because I've never actively tried to lucid dream. I've known of the concept for years, and always thought "that would be cool to do,"

Everything is always familiar to me. It's always places I know.

There's rarely any stand-out imagery. It's always about the people, the characters, their emotions and the situations that they're in. If anything stands, it's just that. The people and their feelings. Does dreaming about people and feelings imply anything?

I'm a writer, but strangely I've never written a story based on any of these dreams. They've never felt concrete and complete enough to, and they don't come often enough, which again is something I don't understand.

Isn't dreaming that little supposed to be a bad sign? *laughs*

Like I said, you dream... you just don't recall them in the morning. But you could easily research, google search tips that can help you with that. One tip I've read about, is setting your alarm clock to go off one hour before you need to wake up, and then a second alarm to go off later to actually wake you up. That's typically prime time for recalling dreams. Wake up, go back to sleep, and then re-wake up. And maybe leave yourself a note by your bedside to not just hop out of bed, but to ponder on your dreams for a moment. Sometimes we're too easily distracted, first thing in the morning, by what we need to set off to do, rather than rejogging our brain about what we just dreamed. And when we set off like that, it's too easy to forget what we just dreamed, even within a few minutes of being awake.

If you'd like to private message me one of your dreams, I'm trying to work on dream analysis. Not for any particular reason, except just for my own curiosity. But I'd be interested to hear one that you do recall. :cheese:

H

Hate

"To dream that you have been killed, suggests that your actions are disconnected from your emotions and conscience. The dream refers to drastic changes that you are trying to make. There is a characteristic that you want to get rid of or a habit that you want to end within yourself. Killing represents the killing off of the old parts and old habits.

Spooky… The bold pretty much sums it up. I’m purposely detaching myself from my emotions and conscience in order to keep my sanity because I know I’m doing badly right now. Then on the flipside of that I’m also trying to change some of my old habits, but I seem to be fighting a losing battle. The killing off of old habits is probably more it though. Every day I struggle with the temptation of the streets and I’m not used to resisting. I used to just give into every whim I had, so these past couple of years have been the first time I’ve ever tried to resist crime. I’m trying to kill that side of me, but it doesn’t want to go away. So the dream metaphor makes a lot of sense.

"To dream that you have been stabbed, signifies your struggle with power. You are experiencing feelings of inadequacy and defensiveness."

Shameful to admit, but yes.

"To see a killer in your dream, suggests that an essential aspect of your emotions have been cut off. You feel that you are losing your identity and your individuality. Alternatively, this dream may represent purification and the healing process. You are standing up for yourself and putting a dramatic end to something."

Pretty much connects with the top part of wanting to put a dramatic end to my old lifestyle.

"To dream that you kill someone, indicates that you are on the verge of losing your temper and self-control. Consider the person you have killed and ask yourself if you feel any rage towards him or her in your waking life. Your dream may be expressing some hidden anger. Alternatively, you may be trying to kill an aspect of yourself that is represented by the person killed. Identify the characteristics of this person and ask yourself which of these qualities you are trying to put an end to."

:sadbanana:

Indeed, I am avoiding a huge undertaking I have been given… I’m basically stalling as much as I can because I don’t wanna deal with it. *sigh*

"To dream that you are in a fight, indicates inner turmoil. Some aspect of yourself is in conflict with another aspect of yourself. Perhaps an unresolved or unacknowledged part is fighting for its right to be heard. It may also parallel a fight or struggle that you are going through in your waking life. If you are fighting to the death, then it refers to your refusal to acknowledge some waking conflict or inner turmoil. You are unwilling to change your old attitudes and habits."

Story of my life…everyday seems to be a battle of good and evil within me… and the thing that sucks is that there is a part of me clinging on to my negative lifestyle that just doesn’t want to let go… Hence the unwillingness to change my old habits metaphor above. I want to change, but I don’t think my want is strong enough right now. My conscience is trying to “fight for the right to be heard” but I’m ignoring it.

There obviously has to be some truth to these dream interpretations otherwise I would be dreaming about puppies and kittens or something.

So now that we assessed my dreams, what happens now Doc? :D

Sunny Ghost

There obviously has to be some truth to these dream interpretations otherwise I would be dreaming about puppies and kittens or something.

So now that we assessed my dreams, what happens now Doc? :D

Hahahaha. I have lots of dreams about kittens, believe it or not. However, they aren't typically pleasant. I recall one strange one where I gouged a kitten's eye out. Also, I recall another one where I was juggling a ton of cats at one time and trying to keep them all safe, but was being pulled into a vortex at the same time. :shock: My puppy and kitten dreams are not happy go lucky!

Perhaps you could ask your dreams to tell you... or you could try bringing these two halves together. Find some middle ground... However... I'm no psychologist or doctor. I say, do what you think your dreams are trying to tell you to do... but that's me. :blush:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i was not aware that carl jung used psychedelics. awesome! haha.

what do you mean by this statement: "those speculations make perfect sense if you understand how psychedelics effect your consciousness and unconsciousness."?? i read your link, and it said that trace amounts of dmt are released during birth and during dream time. i don't think it makes it any less real, symbolic, or meaningful.

this as the speculations:

It may play a role in mediating the visual effects of natural dreaming, and also near-death experiences, religious visions and other mystical states.[38] A biochemical mechanism for this was proposed by the medical researcher J. C. Callaway, who suggested in 1988 that DMT might be connected with visual dream phenomena, where brain DMT levels are periodically elevated to induce visual dreaming and possibly other natural states of mind.

and psychedelics kinda take your unconsciousness and mix it with consciousness. in mbti terms, they put your unconscious functions into conscious use. they also dig all sorts of stuff(the good and the bad) from the unconscious, this is the reason why they can trigger mental illness that havent bloomed yet, schizophrenia for example or can cause panic attacks if something bad tries to get to the surface from unconscious. this is why they work so well in theraphy, especially with patients with suppressed memories that cause their unconscious to behave in unhealthy ways. the same kind of mixing of consciousness and unconsciousness happens when you dream, since your dreams are coming from your unconsciousness

Sunny Ghost

this as the speculations:

and psychedelics kinda take your unconsciousness and mix it with consciousness. in mbti terms, they put your unconscious functions into conscious use. they also dig all sorts of stuff(the good and the bad) from the unconscious, this is the reason why they can trigger mental illness that havent bloomed yet, schizophrenia for example or can cause panic attacks if something bad tries to get to the surface from unconscious. this is why they work so well in theraphy, especially with patients with suppressed memories that cause their unconscious to behave in unhealthy ways. the same kind of mixing of consciousness and unconsciousness happens when you dream, since your dreams are coming from your unconsciousness
which is exactly why i don't play with those things anymore! :emot-emo:

Sunny Ghost

Last night I dreamed that I watched a single mistake turn a family into zombies, who went on living like humans and were unaware that they were zombies and falling apart... I just watched, not even existing... I woke up disturbed that I just sat and watched :shock:

I have a feeling that the two of us dream of being chased for the same reason :laugh: though the hitler thing makes sense because the social system has always made me feel trapped :peepwall:

To see or dream that you are a zombie, suggests that you are physically and/or emotionally detached from people and situations that are currently surrounding you. You are feeling out of touch. Alternatively, a zombie means that you are feeling dead inside. You are just going through the motions of daily living.

To dream that you are attacked by zombies, indicate that you are feeling overwhelmed by forces beyond your control. You are under tremendous stress in your waking life. Alternatively, the dream represents your fears of being helpless and overpowered.

I think there is definitely a theme going on here. Passivity, oppression, helplessness... You'll have to piece it together for yourself what it means for you, but I hope you found it helpful. :)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
which is exactly why i don't play with those things anymore! :emot-emo:

i hope you figured out that they dont work out well for you before something really bad happened