• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

annoying thing about meds

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Is if you take them you're automatically labeled as lazy, no matter if you tried everything else, resisted them for years. Even failing out of school nothing worked, not exercise, not changing your diet, not positive thinking. But to others you're just lazy and weak and it's annoying, look some people might be fine doing those things, but I am not. When I went off my meds for a few weeks it was back to where I was before hearing voices, and wanting to hang myself. I even planned out how I was going to hang myself. SO please stop saying meds are useless.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Then the annoying thing is not about meds, it's about other people.

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
yeah, it pretty much is the people.

it's funny how the people who somehow feel they're in the position to criticize and make judgments about such matters have never been there, don't understand how such medications actually work, and yet somehow know better than you how you should go about fixing your broke-ass self. My old roommates used to be like this, it was incredible.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
aren't meds more helpful when taken in
conjunction behavior modification therapy?
package deal sort of thing?

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Meds get a bad rap. I have anecdotal stories of people I know who both benefit from meds and just want a doctor to throw prescriptions at them to fix a problem that could be fixed in other ways. But no one has the right to think any less of you if you use medication for anything. That's just petty.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why do they need to know?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
well they don't, but I've just noticed in alot of threads where meds come up people being all like blah blah blah you can fix them other ways, people who use meds are lazy.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
well they don't, but I've just noticed in alot of threads where meds come up people being all like blah blah blah you can fix them other ways, people who use meds are lazy.

meh I wouldn't worry about what other people think, I mean hearing voices sounds like something serious I don't see how you can be lazy when you are hearing voices it makes no sense.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, people usually say things like that because they are ignorant and don't comprehend that people with schizophrenia, for example, actually have brains which are built differently than others, or that persons suffering from bipolar disorder have extremely low levels of lithium, and that unipolar depression can result from faulty seratonin or dopamine levels. Mental illness is every bit as real of an illness as diabetes or cancer.

People who say that mentally ill people shouldn't take medication are, in my mind, equal to people who think that kidney failure can be fixed with prayer alone - the kind of people who would rather allow their children to die than to take them to a doctor.

It's (sometimes willful) ignorance of science, plain and simple.

However, it's always a good idea to eat properly, get regular exercise, adequate sleep, and even go to therapy in order to maintain overall good health in conjunction with psychiatric medication.

Ingrid in grids

Is if you take them you're automatically labeled as lazy, no matter if you tried everything else, resisted them for years. Even failing out of school nothing worked, not exercise, not changing your diet, not positive thinking. But to others you're just lazy and weak and it's annoying, look some people might be fine doing those things, but I am not. When I went off my meds for a few weeks it was back to where I was before hearing voices, and wanting to hang myself. I even planned out how I was going to hang myself. SO please stop saying meds are useless.

You are a brave person for accepting medication. Don't let anyone tell you that doing so is a cop out or makes you a weaker person. Going on antidepressants was the best thing I ever did for myself. I honestly shudder to imagine what I would be doing or where I would be now had I chosen not to go on them. It's when you stop taking them for a little while and you begin to really slip backwards that you realise how much they're helping you. I'm sorry you're going through this and I really feel where you're coming from. :hug:

I liked how marmalade put it:

Mental illness is every bit as real of an illness as diabetes or cancer.

People who say that mentally ill people shouldn't take medication are, in my mind, equal to people who think that kidney failure can be fixed with prayer alone - the kind of people who would rather allow their children to die than to take them to a doctor.

That's pretty close to what all of my doctors told me when I first started taking antidepressants. It's a hard thing for many to get their heads around (and it was for me too at first), particularly if they have not experienced a mental illness for themselves nor been close to anyone who has. The way you can feel slow, numb, panicky and agitated, all at the same time, are symptoms just as real and physical as those of any other condition - and also far beyond what you can mentally pull yourself out of.

aren't meds more helpful when taken in
conjunction behavior modification therapy?
package deal sort of thing?

I've read this too. I've heard people say that CBT really helped them. My experiences with it weren't very successful at all. :( Though it's all about discovering what works best for you. My psychiatrist is my therapist and my greatest source of support.

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate that there seem to be a lot of people who assume that people who take meds are just looking for the easy way out, who at the first sign of discontent run to their doctor looking to be numbed. There's so much wrong with this viewpoint that it makes me want to :BangHead:.

I'm sure there *are* people who take medication this way, but I haven't ever met them. Most of the people I know who take meds, including myself, view it as a last-resort kind of thing. We've tried therapy and exercise and herbal supplements and our supportive friends and still need something *else*.

People also fail to understand that meds don't make you numb. I still have ups and downs and bad days, but I'm no longer in the horrible place where I've been.

:steam: This is one of my pet peeves.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I usually let them assume I'm lazy in a sarcastic manner. Because taking the time to explain how they're incorrect in every single assumption is not worth my effort. The cycle won't end there; once I'm done with one individual, another pops up. :rolleyes:

I don't even mention my disorder unless it's absolutely required. I'm alright with dispelling myths if a friend is confused, but for anyone else, I can't see how my personal life is a big deal unless it interferes with my work. [I try not to take on responsibilities that are excessively demanding on my skill sets, because it'd be unfair for everyone else involved.]

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I approve when people take meds. It's as simple as acknowleding a problem and taking some kind of step toward fixing it. With some people, it is a quick fix that could be mended in other ways. With other people, it is the only option for a fix that they have.
Really, no one has a place to judge unless they have really assessed someone's current need, previous need, state in life, and mental/emotional strength. Even then, it is up to the person at hand to determine what they can and cannot handle without medications.

Screw what other people think. :hug:

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
After trying to recover from my depression, I went on Prozac and it ended up making me manic. I've been on Lithium 1500mg a day ever since. Mania is gone, depression is gone, anxiety is dwindling each day. My life has been too screwed up, and if meds fix it, then I'm all for it. It took me a while to get to the point of accepting resuming the antidepressant.

eclare

MBTI Type
INFJ
I approve when people take meds. It's as simple as acknowleding a problem and taking some kind of step toward fixing it.

I agree 100%. For those of us with psychological disorders, taking medication is the most responsible thing we can do for ourselves and others.

I'm also fairly convinced that most of the idiots that spout nonsense like this on internet fora don't necessarily even believe it. They just like to start sh*t and be controversial. It's tiresome and best ignored as much as possible. The only reason to engage with people like that is to correct misinformation that may influence people who are genuinely interested in learning about disorders and medication.