• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What makes people addicted?

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
We know it's an addiction when we suffer withdrawal symptoms.

And we know it's an addiction when we take more to ward off the withdrawal symptoms.

But alas, when we can stop, we don't want to.
And when we want to stop, we can't.

It's the compulsion to scream "ADDICTION!" every time someone has an affinity for something that seems redundant to me. Some people tend to use it on and off up here in Norway "You addicted to that chocolate milk, Mike?" No of course I'm not addicted to it, it's a pleasure, not an addiction.

When I stopped smoking cigarettes, I stopped instantly. I had a pack of cigarettes at home that was never opened, and I never even felt the need to look at it. Not once did I fool myself to take a smoke. Nor did I advertise it to my friends that I was quitting in order to get their blessings. Did I get withdrawals within this period? No. The reason I quit was because I had to spend a year on building my body back up to shape for sergeant position in the military, but since I was told not to bother with it, I said f- it, and picked up smoking again. And why wouldn't I start smoking again? It taste good, and best of all it keeps me mentally healthy - to a certain degree.

AIR is an addiction. It's an addiction because you'll die if you don't get it.

Some substances in this world like Heroin and Amphetamine becomes an addiction, and people don't need me to tell them how they work, they can just go read about it on wikipedia.

Cannabis is not an addiction. Physically. It's a mental affinity for pleasure/enjoyment.

Some people tend to repeat the same action over and over again because of the very same reason, whatever that reason may be.

At least this is how I look at it. Other's can of course have other personal values or views, whether it is literal, spiritual or comes from personal experience.

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
For me it was simply that I love to be altered. Always have, always will.

Why? Don't know. And who cares?

Listen: I'm 46 years old and I've done 'em all. And I did them all with gusto... from the honeymoon of fun to the horror of desperate excess. Unlike many I knew, I came out the other side and I lived to tell the tale, and here's what I can tell you with certainty:

If you like to be altered and want a decent life, your best bet is weed.

For me it was like coming home again. :hug:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
YOU might not have gone through withdrawl symptoms, but others have. so you can't say based on you're limited experience that cigarettes aren't addictive, when its been proven. that's like trying to tell me their's not an ocean between the US and England? I mean look at a globe or a map, their's a fucking ocean.

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Nicotine is the only drug that I've wanted to quit and haven't been able to, yet.

From someone who knows addiction intimately... yes, it is addictive in every way. :sadbanana:

Mole

Permabanned
Nicotine is the only drug that I've wanted to quit and haven't been able to, yet.

From someone who knows addiction intimately... yes, it is addictive in every way. :sadbanana:

Yes, cigarettes are sublime - the perfect addiction.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:holy: I'm not the only one who spent DARE thinking... hmmm... that drug sounds FUN!

of course then I tried all of the ones I'd thought that about and DIDN'T have fun :dry:

Haha I'll admit I thought that too, but I don't see why people should make a lifestyle out of it. Trying new things in my book is okay, living off of it not so much.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
YOU might not have gone through withdrawl symptoms, but others have. so you can't say based on you're limited experience that cigarettes aren't addictive, when its been proven. that's like trying to tell me their's not an ocean between the US and England? I mean look at a globe or a map, their's a fucking ocean.

Compared to what a heroin addict goes through, I wouldn't dare call it addiction and withdrawl. I call it hype. But hey, maybe I'm inhumane; A superhuman that can go through excruciating agony.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Compared to what a heroin addict goes through, I wouldn't dare call it addiction and withdrawl. I call it hype. But hey, maybe I'm inhumane; A superhuman that can go through excruciating agony.

Supposedly nicotine is at least as addictive as opiates. However, I do believe the actual physical results of heroin withdrawl are typically worse.

Of course the reaction varies from person to person, but these conclusions are averages based on very large samples.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I totally understand this, my brain NEVER TURNS OFF. :run:
It can get really ridiculous and oppressive. :rolli:

Alcohol eventually riles me up though, so it is ineffective in this capacity for me too. Two drinks, and I'm chilled out; three drinks and I'm bouncing off the fucking walls and stirring up trouble. :doh:

My brain doesn't turn off even when i am asleep .. I act out my dreams and incorporate my house into it. Grrrr.

I could of easily of become addicted to speed when i was a teenager .. I wouldn't think, i would do. Lol. I liked the fact i could keep on going till i started on the downer.

I could never be addicted to alcohol, i like binge drinking occasionaly.

Cigarettes are my vice, i like it because i am addicted but i hate what it's doing to my young, fit body. Lol. For a smoker of 17 years, i am fit.

At present i am becoming addicted to meditation .. I know it sounds silly, but i enjoy putting myself into a calm place where i allow my thoughts to flow easily from a distance.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm addicted to Peas. Sugar snap.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Inorite? Nom nom nom.

Wish I'd planted more.

Trincypris12

Many people who are as addicted as your father have problems with depression or other issues. Depression is horrible and many people attempt to self-medicate to get out of it, as well as people who have bipolar disorder, or even just childhood trauma.

drug rehab

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Many people who are as addicted as your father have problems with depression or other issues. Depression is horrible and many people attempt to self-medicate to get out of it, as well as people who have bipolar disorder, or even just childhood trauma.

drug rehab

Hey, next time you quote me, there's a quote button. :)

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Just be careful of what you get addicted to....

Crackhead.jpg

winehouse_0508_01.jpg

crackhead.jpg