• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jealousy: It shows you care

When I see jealousy in my partner, it is generally a...

• xNTJ: positive thing...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • xSTP: positive thing...

• xSFP: positive thing...

• xSFP: negative thing...

• xSTJ: positive thing...

• xSTJ: negative thing...

• xSFJ: negative thing...

• Total voters

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is it a negative thing, a positive thing?

I think that depends on how it's expressed and dealt with. I'm personally of the opinions that generally speaking emotions are neither good or bad but rather it's how you express and deal with them that makes them good or bad.

Jealousy, in this case, could go either way. Generally jealousy tends to be destructive but it could also serve as a motivating force for more timid individuals (read: me) to come out of our shells and put ourselves out there.

If a woman I'm infatuated with begins receiving attention from various guys for various reasons, then rather than try and get possessive of her I instead try to worker harder to show myself as having similar or superior qualities than those other chumps ;)

Is it an indication of faltering self esteem or insecurity?

It could be. I'll admit, like others here, to having some abandonment issues and when I see guys that I know have qualities that are definitely superior to my own, I can't help but get really self-conscious about them. Still, I try to detach myself from such feelings and remind myself of the good qualities I have.

Does it show they truly care about you?

Sure, though I think there are healthier ways of going about it. I will say that I find women who get a little jealous of me spending time with other women to be a little bit endearing as it demonstrates that they value my presence.

Does it show that they don't trust you to be faithful?

It can, but I also think that some behaviors can be misconstrued as jealously. For example (and I can't speak for all SJs) I have personal rules and conduct and etiquette when dealing with women who are currently engaged in a relationship of one sort or another (marriage, engaged, boyfriend) and one of those rules is not to be too flirty or overly-complimentary toward them as this is disrespectful toward the partner in the relationship.

As such, while I may think it's cute at first, I tend to get annoyed with guys who flirt too much with the woman I happen to be with. It's just plain bad manners to me to do that and as such if it keeps going on, I'll admit that I'll start to display possessive behaviors toward her. This isn't because I don't trust her or have faith in the relationship, but rather it's because these jack-holes are disrespecting me and I need to get the message to them loud and clear and that she's with me and they need to stop.

Of course, most of the women I tend to be attracted too seem to understand me enough to know why I'm acting this way and as such they'll turn the guys down and make it clear that they are with me. I have to confess, watching a woman shut down an entire group of guys and then turn right around and inform me in no-uncertain terms that she's spending the rest of the time with me...is a *massive* turn on for me :wubbie:

What does jealousy in a partner say to you?

It depends again on how it's expressed.

I find a little bit of it endearing, but unnecessary. I may have many faults but disloyalty and lack of devotion are not among them.

If however she starts to get persistent or if it starts to worsen, then it will damage and eventually ruin the relationship. I do very much appreciate a woman who wants me all to herself, but I really wish she would understand that once she's won me over, then I'm hooked, and that she doesn't need to worry about anyone else :wubbie: :hug:

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
I've never understood the concept of jealousy. If you're in a commited relationship, what have you got to worry about? If somebody is making a pass at your SO, its their responsibility to stay true to the relationship and turn the person down. If they don't, the fault lies with the SO for not upholding your relationship. Now if they've turned somebody down and that person keeps pushing, then its time to step in. Its not a matter of jealousy at that point, its somebody disrespecting and harassing a loved one.

I never got that about other guys. They always want to 'beat that guy's ass for hitting on my woman'. Dude, a guy is gonna be a guy, he sees an attractive woman, he's gonna make a try. And women'll do the same thing. If your SO cheats on you, I don't blame the person they cheated with, I blame the SO for not staying true to their commitment.

As for people checking someone else out, catcalls, etc., I consider it a little flattering in a way. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and sometimes its nice to know that other people recognize the attractiveness of your SO. If the appreciation turns disrespectful though, I will defend my lady's honor.

Lark

YLJ stance on jealousy is curious to me:

What say yee on the subject of jealousy in a romantic relationship?

Is it a negative thing, a positive thing?

Is it an indication of faltering self esteem or insecurity?

Does it show they truly care about you?

Does it show that they don't trust you to be faithful?

What does jealousy in a partner say to you?

I think indifference would bother me too, I've dealt with extremes of both infatuation and indifference with people I've been interested in and think that avoiding either is a great idea.

I've dated someone who I'm convinced just picks up with me when they are on the rebound or treats me as a "sub" on a bench but I know with that individual I've got jealous and they've told me that my suspiscions are wrong and also a pain in the ass. Never thought to spin it that it as a sign I really cared.

In short a reckon jealous, infatuation, relationship anxieties, they all suck, they are all really uncomfortable and if you invest too much in those feelings you'll be miserable and get "love sick" (its not just a poetic phrase) but by the same measure I'm not sure that any real, honest to God relationship should be a bed of roses and straight plain sailing.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
so is being in love! oh well!

Well.. It can also be a strength if you recognize your own weaknesses and know what kind of person can help you with them and find that type of person to love and who loves you and helps you grow out of your weaknesses. :yes:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I've never understood the concept of jealousy. If you're in a commited relationship, what have you got to worry about? If somebody is making a pass at your SO, its their responsibility to stay true to the relationship and turn the person down. If they don't, the fault lies with the SO for not upholding your relationship. Now if they've turned somebody down and that person keeps pushing, then its time to step in. Its not a matter of jealousy at that point, its somebody disrespecting and harassing a loved one.

I never got that about other guys. They always want to 'beat that guy's ass for hitting on my woman'. Dude, a guy is gonna be a guy, he sees an attractive woman, he's gonna make a try. And women'll do the same thing. If your SO cheats on you, I don't blame the person they cheated with, I blame the SO for not staying true to their commitment.

As for people checking someone else out, catcalls, etc., I consider it a little flattering in a way. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and sometimes its nice to know that other people recognize the attractiveness of your SO. If the appreciation turns disrespectful though, I will defend my lady's honor.

Again, relationships are not algorithmic. You don't have to "understand" the "concept" of jealousy. It's much more primal, usually reasoning won't be able to curb it.

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
it shows that we're human, though to be human you don't necessarily have to BE jealous; i think it's just a common human emotion.

Whether or not it shows you care about the other person, i'm not sure but i'm leaning towards "no"; i think moderate jealousy can be harmless, just not necessarily good. Extreme jealousy is pretty bad, in my opinion. i have never experienced jealousy that didn't stem from insecurity though, so ymmv.

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
Again, relationships are not algorithmic. You don't have to "understand" the "concept" of jealousy. It's much more primal, usually reasoning won't be able to curb it.

I must be somewhat lacking in that primal instinct then. I've had the occasional pang of jealously before, but never to the degree that I felt the overwhelming need to act on it.

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I must be somewhat lacking in that primal instinct then. I've had the occasional pang of jealously before, but never to the degree that I felt the overwhelming need to act on it.

Yeah, I agree with this. It seems like a lot of people are quick to defend feeling jealous. It doesn't seem like a good emotion if you ask me. A healthier relationship would be one where jealousy never enters into the picture.

Lark

Yeah, I agree with this. It seems like a lot of people are quick to defend feeling jealous. It doesn't seem like a good emotion if you ask me. A healthier relationship would be one where jealousy never enters into the picture.

I wouldnt say so, I would consider that indifference to be something you'd associate with an acquaintence rather than a lover.

I think most people when they are talking about jealousy arent talking about the sort of obsessive, clingy or pathological variety.

Its a thread divided by a common language.

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I wouldnt say so, I would consider that indifference to be something you'd associate with an acquaintence rather than a lover.

I think most people when they are talking about jealousy arent talking about the sort of obsessive, clingy or pathological variety.

Its a thread divided by a common language.

Would it be better to use a different term then? At least when I think of jealousy I imagine the clinginess, the obsession, the controlling of another person's life in order to sate some kind of insecurity, etc.

And I'm not really advocating indifference, more like a level of trust and/or loyalty that transcends jealousy? I dunno.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm noticing a trend in responses of xNTPs generally seeing jealousy as a bad sign in a relationship and xNTJs generally considering it a good sign so am curious if there actually are trends with types, so poll added, answer according to which on is truer for you.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

Yeah, I mean, I'm not particularly jealous either; whenever I've been, though, I knew there was nothing "rational" behind.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
A healthy level of jealousy (and by that I mean the occasional twinge) is beneficial for me personally, because it helps remind me not to take my partner for granted, as I am not the only person who finds her desirable. It motivates me to pick up any slack, rather than up-turn tables and scream. I take the time to evaluate myself in terms of what I already provide to the relationship and what aspects I've been neglecting.

Having said that, I am a rather jealous person. However, I make an effort to not act on my feelings around her in a destructive way. I try to rationalise my jealousy; my partner's desires and whoever pops into her life are out of my control, and if they're going to cheat, then they are going to cheat regardless of how I feel. So there's little sense in torturing myself. But, it's no use. *shrug* I peg it down to lack of relational experience.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I voted positive -- not because I think it's healthy and that everyone should be jealous, but because a little bit of it, at least to me, shows my SO cares about me and doesn't want to lose me and I think it's cute when he does that. Of course, controlling behavior or stalking is not acceptable.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I think it's unhealthy and a sign that there is no trust within the relationship. I've had an ex get mad at me for not behaving jealously because apparantly jealousy is the best sign someone cares.

Since I hate jealousy in others, I'm hardly going to behave in a manner I hate.

Do I feel a momentary pause of jealousy occasionally? I'm only human, but I refuse to show it, or to give into it because I know it's about my own issues of insecurity and I'm not going to lay that on anybody to deal with.

Me not showing that I am jealous, is not a sign I don't care, it's a sign I do care, which is why I trust instead.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
And I'm not really advocating indifference, more like a level of trust and/or loyalty that transcends jealousy? I dunno.
I hear that. It's interesting how displays of trust and confidence get tied into the concept of indifference for some; with anxiety about one's worth or value as a positive sign of love, and security and confidence as something potentially negative.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Everyone's different, and it needs to be evaluated in light of that. I don't think anything here is necessarily negative for the human race, although it can be negative for particular individuals.

I'm not voting in the poll, it's too restrictive.