• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jealousy: It shows you care

When I see jealousy in my partner, it is generally a...

• xNTJ: positive thing...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • xSTP: positive thing...

• xSFP: positive thing...

• xSFP: negative thing...

• xSTJ: positive thing...

• xSTJ: negative thing...

• xSFJ: negative thing...

• Total voters

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is that something that only comes from jealousy? If the person you were with did everything in their ability to show you that they cherished and adored you would you feel they cared more if they displayed a hint of jealousy at times?
Maybe I'll give a specific sort of hypothetical example. If someone is hitting on me and I've done my part of creating a boundary, it still feels good to have my partner display affection towards me in that person's presence. It's not about not trusting me, it's about showing the hitter-onner person that I'm not alone.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Maybe I'll give a specific sort of hypothetical example. If someone is hitting on me and I've done my part of creating a boundary, it still feels good to have my partner display affection towards me in that person's presence. It's not about not trusting me, it's about showing the hitter-onner person that I'm not alone.

That I can appreciate, although I'd see it more as my partner stepping in to make it clear to the person attempting to hit on me that I'm not there alone like you said, sure I can tell them to rack off on my own but it seems like quite a number of would be flirters at bars don't believe you when you say you have a boyfriend, or don't care and proceed to sleaze all over you anyway, so him (or any male friend) getting in the picture expedites the departure of those who are only interested in conversation with benefits. I would only see jealousy being part of it if I was engaged in good conversation and he interrupted because he was insecure, not because I was uncomfortable. In your situation, well I say that's just gentlemanly (or whatever the female equivalent is when it's done the other way around).

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
That I can appreciate, although I'd see it more as my partner stepping in to make it clear to the person attempting to hit on me that I'm not there alone like you said, sure I can tell them to rack off on my own but it seems like quite a number of would be flirters at bars don't believe you when you say you have a boyfriend, or don't care and proceed to sleaze all over you anyway, so him (or any male friend) getting in the picture expedites the departure of those who are only interested in conversation with benefits. I would only see jealousy being part of it if I was engaged in good conversation and he interrupted because he was insecure, not because I was uncomfortable. In your situation, well I say that's just gentlemanly (or whatever the female equivalent is when it's done the other way around).

Yes! All of this. Very well put, and a good distinction.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's hard to explain, it's like the concept is almost clear to me, it's a feeling thing, not a rational thing and I can almost understand that feeling but it's all vague and blurry as if it's something I've experienced and liked it was a lifetime ago so to speak. I'm trying to recall a memory of an emotion that I'm not convinced I've ever experienced *kicks Si* so I can't quite appreciate what it is. The idea of feeling some kind of comfort in a partners expressed jealousy almost makes sense, but not quite. Everything that can be associated in a positive manner comes down to something else entirely different to me, such as being the catalyst for communication, well communication is the positive thing, not the jealousy. Being needed is something that can be expressed in numerous positive ways and to me jealousy just doesn't read as showing that you're needed. And so on.

I think it's coming out as something that when appreciated by someone who is self aware and has maturity there's an acknowledgement that it's a negative thing, and yet it still may exist despite logic saying to them it shouldn't, and the thing that puzzles me the most is it creates positive feelings for that person so there isn't much encouragement to change that. It's like it's a flaw that is embraced.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Maybe possessiveness is different from jealousy. For me, I like it when my SO displays a little bit of possessiveness, like when he holds me and says "You're minnnnee!" or when I go out and he says "Be careful and stay away from boys" in a half-joking manner. I think it's sweet :blush:

Mole

Permabanned
Maybe possessiveness is different from jealousy. For me, I like it when my SO displays a little bit of possessiveness, like when he holds me and says "You're minnnnee!" or when I go out and he says "Be careful and stay away from boys" in a half-joking manner. I think it's sweet :blush:

Yes, and fathers are notoriously jealous of their daughters. But the daughters seem to negotiate it quite well in the West. And it is seen as part of a protective father.

In fact I think it lets the daughter know she is emotionally valuable to her father and so will be emotionally valuable to her swain.

Unfortunately it can turn lethal under Islam and lead to the honour killing of the daughter.

CocoB

MBTI Type
ENFP
A small amount of Jealousy is ok... IMO, but Jealousy always manifests into something else and can be potentially dangerous in any relationship. It is from my personal experience that jealousy does not disappear as easily as it appeared and once it is there, chances are it will only grow and bring with it more negativity. So, no... Jealousy is not good for a relationship IMO... Small jealousy, yes. BIG, DISTRUSTFUL. INSECURE jealousy; NO!! And, Trust me... there is a DIFFERENCE!!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I've never been with a very jealous person before. I suppose I would have to learn to get used to it if I loved them, but here's the thing with jealousy for me: It just seems to walk a fine line with controlling.

I never aim to control my partner and what he does in life, or whom he talks to in life..

But I'd be a liar if I never admit that there are times I wish other people would save me the social awkwardness of rejecting someone. It's easier for someone else to step in and be all "who the hell?" and rescue the other person. To me, it has little to do with jealousy and more courtesy.. like, here, I'll be nice and help you out this time. I do the same in return, naturally.

I have, however, had a boyfriend that was upset that I never got jealous.. I can see where one would get caring out of jealousy. I just express how I care differently.

With that said, I haven't ever been in a position to be jealous.. so who knows? Maybe I'm jealous and I have no idea.

LEGERdeMAIN

usually when i'm coupled i don't let my woman do anything that would possibly invite bad things to haeepn an d stuff. like, if she went somewere alone and she was hanging out with strange men and flirting and stuff, i would be so mad. I owuld hope she didn't say anything about it so i wouldn't be mad, but if i heard about it i would be like, bitch please, and i would probably get super violent and want to punch some guys in the face and probably get arrested. its not because i'm possessive, i just like girl to know her place. its not mean or anything but if i have girl that does dirty things i will not hesitate to burn all of her stuff in front yard and kick her to curb
but not curb stomp, that is taking it too far and is not politically correct anymore.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think burning people's things in the front yard is perfectly acceptable if they cheat on you and you're living together.

But that's another thread.

S

sammy

usually when i'm coupled i don't let my woman do anything that would possibly invite bad things to haeepn an d stuff. like, if she went somewere alone and she was hanging out with strange men and flirting and stuff, i would be so mad. I owuld hope she didn't say anything about it so i wouldn't be mad, but if i heard about it i would be like, bitch please, and i would probably get super violent and want to punch some guys in the face and probably get arrested. its not because i'm possessive, i just like girl to know her place. its not mean or anything but if i have girl that does dirty things i will not hesitate to burn all of her stuff in front yard and kick her to curb
but not curb stomp, that is taking it too far and is not politically correct anymore.
What is a curb stomp?

LEGERdeMAIN

curbstomp is when you take people out on sidewalk and put their teeth on curb and then step on back of head in fast, powerful strokes of leg movement.

S

sammy

curbstomp is when you take people out on sidewalk and put their teeth on curb and then step on back of head in fast, powerful strokes of leg movement.
oh fuck, yeah that's not good.

I am a generally possessive person, but I think I would not be as much with more time passing in a relationship and people around me and my significant other accepting and realizing we are a thing and that you mothafuckas should stay away from trying to be homewreckers. I'd have no tolerance for a man who didn't understand my sentiments about this matter, but controlling is bad, bad, bad. There isn't a fine line. They are separate entities, motivated by separate feelings and such.

LEGERdeMAIN

So, basically....what you're saying is that you will never cheat or be cheated on or people will get dropkicked for it? Do you ever get jealous to the point that you're really upset?

S

Sniffles

Yeah just watch American History X if you need a visual aid.

S

sammy

So, basically....what you're saying is that you will never cheat or be cheated on or people will get dropkicked for it? Do you ever get jealous to the point that you're really upset?

I think i have American history x... that scene was so disturbing.

I've been cheated on before, but i've learned to deal with it by other means...:ninja: