• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why Do Some People Take Pride in Being a [any negative expletive]?

G

Glycerine

Out of all people, I chose to look up Dustin Diamond. This is just out of pure curiosity. For example saying things like "I know I'm a dick... deal with it." What's the purpose of going out of your way to be one?

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I wouldn't put it in my social profile, but I like that I have a strong willpower. As long as the motivation is there which I'm lacking at the moment. I just need Oa to mail me my power ring.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I think sometimes it's about taking pride in a characteristic that according to others makes you a [negative expletive] but that you don't feel is negative at all.

Like "oh, you're so mean". No, I'm objective. Maybe I like objectivity. But since it's often classified as meanness, might as well show others that I don't take it as offensive.

Just an example. And no, I'm not talking about me.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I don't quite understand this mentality.

All I can say is, when it comes to people calling me a bitch? I take it with a grain of salt. I am who I am, and if they label my personality as bitchy, than that's just what I am.. I don't get that same feedback from everyone, so I don't see a need to identify a problem.

If I got a constant intervention from friends about what a bitch I was, however, I would have to acknowledge that mayhap it is myself and not others and start to introspect as to why this behavior is being displayed by myself and go from there.

So mayhap people take pride in being who they are, no matter what they're being labeled as by others? Mayhap people that are close to him or her don't see them that way, so the label just isn't the insult that it's being made out to be? I can't say for sure.

With that said, I do know people that take absolute pride and even go out of their way to be known as an asshole or a dick or a bitch.. This seems like a lack of self to me, like they enjoy this title because it's consistent, so they maintain it because its an identity, albeit not a good one. Just speculating now. /rant

G

Glycerine

I think sometimes it's about taking pride in a characteristic that according to others makes you a [negative expletive] but that you don't feel is negative at all.

Like "oh, you're so mean". No, I'm objective. Maybe I like objectivity. But since it's often classified as meanness, might as well show others that I don't take it as offensive.

Just an example. And no, I'm not talking about me.
That sounds plausible. Just hypothetically, what if no one wants to be around the said person because of it though? Is it just his problem or is it everyone else's problem?

G

Glycerine

All I can say is, when it comes to people calling me a bitch? I take it with a grain of salt. I am who I am, and if they label my personality as bitchy, than that's just what I am.. I don't get that same feedback from everyone, so I don't see a need to identify a problem.

If I got a constant intervention from friends about what a bitch I was, however, I would have to acknowledge that mayhap it is myself and not others and start to introspect as to why this behavior is being displayed by myself and go from there.

So mayhap people take pride in being who they are, no matter what they're being labeled as by others? Mayhap people that are close to him or her don't see them that way, so the label just isn't the insult that it's being made out to be? I can't say for sure.

With that said, I do know people that take absolute pride and even go out of their way to be known as an asshole or a dick or a bitch.. This seems like a lack of self to me, like they enjoy this title because it's consistent, so they maintain it because its an identity, albeit not a good one. Just speculating now. /rant
FWIW, I have never thought of you as a "bitch". It may sometimes come down to intentions. I know some people that others may label as a [negative expletive] that are just brutally honest and others that trash talk about everyone. Thanks for your insights. :)

bcvcdc

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTx
I'm guilty of being a bitch. And it is who I am, but usually not to this extent. There are good reasons for my bitchy behavior, at least in my own mind. Which brings me to this: I've reassessed the situation and come to the conclusion that indeed, maybe everything I've been perceiving is somehow all in my head, and by this I mean, an actual clinical abnormality. So, I have written to someone knowledgeable about such things, hoping for a little help as to what might actually be going on with me and some good advice regarding medication to help balance me up a bit. So, sorry to all I may have insulted, I'm just going through a very difficult thing right now, and because I can't seem to get any practical advise from anyone, will most likely look into medication.

For now, I'm going to put this laptop on a shelf somewhere and try to stay completely off the forums as I don't actually think it is helping at all to read these posts and in fact, may indeed be very harmful to my state of mind. Nothing against any of you actually - it's just me and my crazy perception of life in general.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ

True, I wouldn't label anyone regardless of how they choice to express themselves. You are who you are, but what your describing is really a case of people not being mature enough to see anyone elses perspective but their own or lack of intergrity. I used to be a person who don't, no, can't (triple negatives in the same sentence!!!! ultra!ultra!ultra!) take crap from people, but nowdays I try not to speak my mind unless it's worth the headache later on.

G

Glycerine

I'm guilty of being a bitch. And it is who I am, but usually not to this extent. There are good reasons for my bitchy behavior, at least in my own mind. Which brings me to this: I've reassessed the situation and come to the conclusion that indeed, maybe everything I've been perceiving is somehow all in my head, and by this I mean, an actual clinical abnormality. So, I have written to someone knowledgeable about such things, hoping for a little help as to what might actually be going on with me and some good advice regarding medication to help balance me up a bit. So, sorry to all I may have insulted, I'm just going through a very difficult thing right now, and because I can't seem to get any practical advise from anyone, will most likely look into medication.

For now, I'm going to put this laptop on a shelf somewhere and try to stay completely off the forums as I don't actually think it is helping at all to read these posts and in fact, may indeed be very harmful to my state of mind. Nothing against any of you actually - it's just me and my crazy perception of life in general.
ha! No, I was not offended by anything you have written or for that matter, anyone, in particular. :D

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I think some people have the idea that you can either be an asshole or be a pathetic wimp. Either you are inconsiderate and refuse to concern yourself with what others think, or you let others walk all over you. And they take pride in being "assholes", because it means they are not spineless doormats.

G

Glycerine

I think some people have the idea that you can either be an asshole or be a pathetic wimp. Either you are inconsiderate and refuse to concern yourself with what others think, or you let others walk all over you. And they take pride in being "assholes", because it means they are not spineless doormats.
Makes sense but for people who do that, that seems a bit extreme. Can't there be a happy medium? lol

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
That sounds plausible. Just hypothetically, what if no one wants to be around the said person because of it though? Is it just his problem or is it everyone else's problem?

It will depend on the case. It can be both both his and other people's problem. It's always a bit of both I'd say.

But no one forces anyone to be around another person. At least no one forces one to speak with another person unless they are your boss or something.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Makes sense but for people who do that, that seems a bit extreme. Can't there be a happy medium? lol

Yeah, there is, but some people have a hard time seeing that. Some people are either so repulsed by the idea of themselves as weak-willed, etc., that they make a point of doing the opposite, or they take delight in the feelings of power and freedom they get from being inconsiderate pricks.

Little_Sticks

:rofl1:

You're serious, aren't you?

For some, it's not about pride, but about not being willing to put up with someone else's idiotic judgmental BS.

Here's a good shining example of that posted on this forum lately (posts 15-20)
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...refuse-change-their-unhappy-situations-2.html. The guy gets his answer and he admittedly refuses it and goes back to square one of his argument. That's enough to turn that 'depressed friend' into an asshole that enjoys being one. It's empowering to shut the dumb-asses up.

Cheshire Grin

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yeah, there is, but some people have a hard time seeing that. Some people are either so repulsed by the idea of themselves as weak-willed, etc., that they make a point of doing the opposite, or they take delight in the feelings of power and freedom they get from being inconsiderate pricks.

I've always seen it this way as well and I also agree with your other post in this thread. I think for them being a [negative expletive] serves as some kind of positive reinforcement and they constantly feel the need to play out the negative stereotype because for them, it leads to a sense of self-empowerment. Usually these people tend to go against pleasant societal conduct because being nice is for wussies :p. For some of them, rubbing polite social conventions the wrong way is pleasurable because the 'risk' they're taking by being a'holes is followed by a sense of 'achievement.'

I'm sure there's a myriad of other reasons though but I don't personally have a problem with it until they overstep the line by bullying defenseless little children. That's when I bust out my laser.

G

Glycerine

:rofl1:

You're serious, aren't you?

For some, it's not about pride, but about not being willing to put up with someone else's idiotic judgmental BS.

Here's a good shining example of that posted on this forum lately (posts 15-20)
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...refuse-change-their-unhappy-situations-2.html. The guy gets his answer and he admittedly refuses it and goes back to square one of his argument. That's enough to turn that 'depressed friend' into an asshole that enjoys being one. It's empowering to shut the dumb-asses up.
haha kinda serious, kinda joking. I swear, I am not deluded about the goodness of humanity, (idealism). I definitely see your point and I agree w/ Peguy and OA in that argument.

G

Glycerine

I've always seen it this way as well and I also agree with your other post in this thread. I think for them being a [negative expletive] serves as some kind of positive reinforcement and they constantly feel the need to play out the negative stereotype because for them, it leads to a sense of self-empowerment. Usually these people tend to go against pleasant societal conduct because being nice is for wussies :p. For some of them, rubbing polite social conventions the wrong way is pleasurable because the 'risk' they're taking by being a'holes is followed by a sense of 'achievement.'

I'm sure there's a myriad of other reasons though but I don't personally have a problem with it until they overstep the line by bullying defenseless little children. That's when I bust out my laser.
yeah, I can take it up to point where people slander others and purposefully make pointless drama for others to deal with.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It makes people feel specialz and differentz.
I spellz bad cuz i r unique :D

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
Out of all people, I chose to look up Dustin Diamond. This is just out of pure curiosity. For example saying things like "I know I'm a dick... deal with it." What's the purpose of going out of your way to be one?

Depends on the person but I think saying that "Im a dick... deal with it" is what makes him get the attention.

For me most people that are overly dickish and argumentative are just attention whores. So for those that are overly prudish. It gets to be something they are going to be famous for and therefore can get attention based on. My sister was like that as a kid, Im the opposite, not entirely but most of the time I am. And I find it silly to want to be something of negative connotation.