• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ADHD is BS...

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Good for you; now you don't have to bother yourself discussing it.

Exactly. And next time I swallow an Adderall XR so I don't fall asleep in meetings, and am able to follow through on simple, mundane things that have no capacity to challenge my intellect or skill in any way whatsoever, I'll remember that ADHD is utter bullshit. :rolli:

It is not a mental illness, it is only a disability if you do not know you have it, how it works, and how your brain works; and if you have medication to whip things into shape during periods when you don't have the time to sit down and constructively focus your way through every little grueling step of whatever it is you have to do, you can do whatever you need to when you need to.

Give me 8 hours and 12 things to do, and total freedom as to how I get things done, and you will come back to 12 things done perfectly. Give me one thing to do in one hour when it is not of my choosing or design and you might as well hit me in the head with a hammer, I'd rather die.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I consider ADHD a normal neurological variation that is maladaptive to our current way of life, rather than a disease. Like anything else, if the traits are exhibited in the extreme, then it is a disorder.

I couldn't put my thoughts on ADHD/ADD into better words. However, I did not read the rest of your post or much else of this thread due to a normal neurological variation.

I don't think ADHD is bullshit, but I think it rolls around in it.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Exactly. And next time I swallow an Adderall XR so I don't fall asleep in meetings, and am able to follow through on simple, mundane things that have no capacity to challenge my intellect or skill in any way whatsoever, I'll remember that ADHD is utter bullshit. :rolli:

It is not a mental illness, it is only a disability if you do not know you have it, how it works, and how your brain works; and if you have medication to whip things into shape during periods when you don't have the time to sit down and constructively focus your way through every little grueling step of whatever it is you have to do, you can do whatever you need to when you need to.

Give me 8 hours and 12 things to do, and total freedom as to how I get things done, and you will come back to 12 things done perfectly. Give me one thing to do in one hour when it is not of my choosing or design and you might as well hit me in the head with a hammer, I'd rather die.

Dude, switch to Vyvanse - it's a much better ride, I promise.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I dont care what anyone says, I think it's utter bullshit.

Same. It can't just be that there are so many more people with ADHD in the USA than anywhere else in the world combined.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Same. It can't just be that there are so many more people with ADHD in the USA than anywhere else in the world combined.
Diagnosis is better there than in most countries. Same is true of many conditions, e.g. autism, and schizophrenia, far higher rates of diagnosis in the USA. When studies have looked at how many meet the criteria, and when the same criteria are used for each country, the rate is found to be very similar in almost all countries studied, which include some from Europe, America and Asia. The incidence might genuinely be slightly higher in the USA as well, as many, many bio-environmental factors are associated with AD/HD, and these are very different from country to country (for example, not many mothers keep their babies alive on formula milk instead of omega-3 rich breast milk in developing countries, whereas in the USA this systematic under-nourishment of developing brains has become normal). Also, the USA and Australia, which also has a very high rate of diagnosis, both have a very high percentage of the population descended from exiled criminals or misfit pioneers. Very likely therefore that they have a higher incidence of AD/HD genes, as you can bet that a disproportionate number from those groups had AD/HD genes.

If any of you really wants to prove to us all how easy AD/HD is to live with, I encourage you to prove it by giving yourself a moderate concussion, or meningitis, and make notes on how you function afterwards. The most consistently seen temporary effects of these (post-concussive syndrome, and post-encephalitic syndrome respectively) are EXACTLY the same as AD/HD, both in terms of behaviour and brain activity and brainwave patterns. Then report back and tell us how easy it is to live with and how you'd never dream of trying to make the symptoms go away, oh and how much more creative and smart it makes you as well...