• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Critique of "Positive Thinking"

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
When positive action keeps us from recognizing the facts, it is counterproductive. When it motivates us to take action and rally the efforts of others, it is useful.

It's not about 'positive' it's about 'active' and 'efficient' thinking.

What works works.

Anything else just shows the person's intellectual limitations and/or strong zones of proficiency (so efficiency in that case and perhaps high relative cost and low incentives to change the strategy/tactics/frame)

But to think that one would ever create a concrete reaction through positive thinking alone is ridiculous. Basically you can create momentum, enthusiasm, but it is then up to you to do something with it.

Agreed. Any form of "thinking" provides half of the equation. The other half requires the individual to actually do it.

Reflection, in itself, can be effective in shaping the impact of our decisions, and building the capacity to make them. However, we also might risk doing nothing by over-thinking. Wishing for something to happen, and making it happen are two separate things. Both are necessary, but they shouldn't be mistaken for the other.

Positive thinking, when you are excited people get excited with you. So this creates less resistance.

Excellent point, ThatGirl. :yes: I often use positive thinking on the principle of efficiency, because the less resistance I have towards doing a certain task, the more energy I'll have to spare for other things. For instance, I'm willing to endure high amounts of pain if I can find a "positive" reason for it. A good attitude may act as a form of anesthesia, and consequently, a personal buffer for stress. "Negative" thinking can also deliver the same service, but at the cost of our health and lifespan the longer we remain in a state of stress. In short bursts, nothing moves people faster than negative thinking -- [i.e - "fight" or "flight".]

Worth watching.

As for the video, I agree with the journalist's points. Adopting a positive mindset prematurely is another way of ignoring the real problems. No matter how colorful and pretty you make them, the negativity is still there.

"Stuff happens," including sometimes very, very bad stuff" is a nice way of phrasing it.

foolish heart

MBTI Type
ISTP
as far as im concerned any thinking that doesnt mirror reality is a form of delusion. Why would someone lie to themselves? Because they're afraid of the truth. I disagree with positive thinking because it encourages people to be indiscriminating about what is a good vs a bad thing. It does work, however, because this indiscriminating positive attitude fights the irrational fear of the truth with more irrationality, and overall I guess it works because overcoming fear was the problem in the first place. personally I think it is just making the problem worse and adding another layer of delusion between "accepted attitudes/forms of thinking" and reality, and a person is still controlled by what they fears if they are not interacting with it freely.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Worth watching.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5um8QWWRvo&feature=player_embedded#!"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5um8QWWRvo&feature=player_embedded#![/YOUTUBE]
I love the artwork.. for some reason the narrator's voice sounds like Meg Whitman, who's running for governor of California.

My critique of the video? Sure, we can have a positive attitude, but when it comes to the corporate world, there's still politics involved. In other words, as much as the individual puts forth effort, hard work, and a 'great attitude,' the success of the individual person also involves the structure for which the corporation (business and economy) runs on, in general. (I'm not a corporate person,.. just my observations).

A lot of it has to do with Power and Networking.. Meaning, the power of positive thinking relates to which type of economic infrastructure the person is in, and if he/she already has the monetary gains that may establish some kind of position for which he/she can become successful.

I've seen hard work+ talent + positive thinking get easily driven over by bureaucratic stuff that really has no clout or talent to back-up, but just 'all talk.' Like someone mentioned earlier about the book of "The Secret," Positive thinking can only go so far. It's really a dynamic system. Not to mention multinational conglomerates/privatization can have a strong effect over individuals' business potential (mom-pop shop), and depending on that micro-economy for which it can cease to flop or become a success.. Really depends.. It's far more complicated- when individuals/society are interdependent on one another to sum up to such a simplistic philosophy. I DO think positive thinking is healthy for the mind, overall. Hence, 'quality' of life. Edit- It doesn't mean that we should stop doing what we 'love' doing with 'passion' either or stop living life just because the external compensations tell us otherwise.