• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Female INTP's personality traits thought of as negative by American Society

latentorganization

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
http://typeandculture.org/Pages/C_papers93/9Barger_K.pdf

I came across this paper that includes an explanation that INTP traits are generally found as unattractive and negative in females while it's opposite, the ESFJ, carries the most sought after personality traits in females. Personally, I adore the INTP the most and I had more INTP friends. I feel terrible that our society frowns so heavily on them. I love you INTPs!

Last edited by a moderator:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Interesting article. I think I better understand female INTPs and the type in general after reading it. It is sad to read how much each culture disapproved of their interests and behaviours etc and tried to 'reform' them. People are just so fearful of difference. I don't see that letting people pursue life the way they want to it as being such a big deal.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not surprised.
I've been called the "anti-female"....
Thanks for posting that and thanks especially for the love!
I agree--what's so hard about live and let live?

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I've been told similar things numerous times, ranging from the minor ones like 'tomboy' to greater insults I have no wish to repeat right now.

Thanks for the article and the love! We appreciate appreciated.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://typeandculture.org/Pages/C_papers93/9Barger_K.pdf

I came across this paper that includes an explanation that INTP traits are generally found as unattractive and negative in females while it's opposite, the ESFJ, carries the most sought after personality traits in females. Personally, I adore the INTP the most and I had more INTP friends. I feel terrible that our society frowns so heavily on them. I love you INTPs!

Yes, we debunked that study here last fall.
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...-descriptions-four-dichotomies-men-women.html

It is important to note that Thorne & Gough’s sample was a selective group—well educated and creative. The samples included undergraduate students at the University of California at Berkeley, senior-year students at a liberal arts women’s college, students in the law school at Berkeley, mathematicians, architects, creative writers, business executives, and other professionals. Participants were generally chosen for their creative
accomplishments or potential (1991, pp. 4-5). The INTP women were predominantly mathematicians, law students, and undergraduate students (p. 86).

This whole paragraph tends to skew the social environment at the time, these were women in masculine professions being evaluated from about 1955-1985 -- where you had to be aggressive and "masculine" in order to succeed. Just like the feminists of the 70's often got a rep for being belligerent, sullen, aggressive, and whatever else (because they were "shock troops" in the front lines driving the battle for female equality in the professional world), these samples taken likewise would not just intersect with that sort of temperament but also be surveying women wounded by a lot of social/professional oppresion.

I bet if you took a sample of INTP women nowadays, the results would shift some. Tendencies would still be present, but I think a lot of maladjustment would be gone, because our culture has changed a bit.

In any case, the culture was also what viewed INTP females negatively, rather than INTP females actually having anything wrong with them.