User Tag List

First 12

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Hypothesis:

J people like symmetry
    P people like asymmetry
    This is interesting... could you elaborate on how you came to this conclusion?

Anyways, on topic, first off: Naturally people are drawn more to what looks most beautiful. That truth goes further than just symmetry. But symmetry is definatly a part of it. However, we also have our intellect. Which can intervene in this process and completely wipe whatever impressions we first had.
    Very True.. But I guess I wasn't thinking involving intellect when I was thinking bout this... I was thinking more of a subconscious attraction that wasn't involving intellect... more like when it comes to art, pictures, seeing people from a distance or on TV or something.

On a third note however. Supermodels, etc, and all that. Yeah, symmetry above all else. This world is all about perfection, symmetry is an important factor of it. But where it's a conscious matter of great importance in the model world, it isn't in the real world.
    I agree, but do you think it's a subconscious factor for some people in the real world?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    This is interesting... could you elaborate on how you came to this conclusion?

Very True.. But I guess I wasn't thinking involving intellect when I was thinking bout this... I was thinking more of a subconscious attraction that wasn't involving intellect... more like when it comes to art, pictures, seeing people from a distance or on TV or something.

I agree, but do you think it's a subconscious factor for some people in the real world?
    The first bit was a joke. I won't bother elaborating it. :P

As for your last question. It can influence people in making the step towards something, be it a person or an item. Where that person would normally just walk past it. It inspires attention. I'm just saying that there are many other things that seem to count for much more than just symmetry that inspire attention much more effectively. Suppose something or someone is in everyway boring and uninteresting, But it gains symmetry. It may turn a a few heads then, whereas it wouldn't if it was chaotic/random/assymmetrical. Patterns inspire thoughts, to a small extent.
    Last edited by Patches; 10-05-2013 at 09:56 AM.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Hypothesis:

J people like symmetry
    P people like asymmetry

On a third note however. Supermodels, etc, and all that. Yeah, symmetry above all else. This world is all about perfection, symmetry is an important factor of it. But where it's a conscious matter of great importance in the model world, it isn't in the real world.
    I do like the way that asymmetry makes things unique or different. You know those scars that villains always have on one of their eyes? I always wanted one.

For high-fashion supermodels I've heard that if there is something slightly "off" about their face it makes them more appealing to photographers 'n such because they are more unique and eye-catching. So, if someone has a big nose or ears, whatever, it might make them a more successful model. I only heard this is in passing on "Top Model" with Tyra Banks....yes, I've watched Top Model.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I think maybe there is too perfect also, whereby people are so flawless they approach something like the uncanny valley . I'm thinking of plastic surgery where people make themselves look wrong and slightly inhuman by trying to be too flawless (Heidi Montag etc.).
    I agree that there is a "too perfect". It's kind of unsettling, really.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I find perfect symetry somehow boring looking on other people. However for myself, I am tragically aware of my own asymetry which is likely no more than the average person.
    "What's Taters, Precious?" --- Gollum.

"Bring your pretty face, to my axe". --- Gimly.