• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Logic and Problem Solving

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Des anyone have any tips?

It seems to me like you either have it or you don't. My guess is that some people adapt to be logical, to think logically, or perhaps it's partly genetic.

This could of course be related to the thinking cognitive functions... but I'm certain I'm an NT, and I'm not exactly the most logical person around. I have plenty of intuitivity, and many Ti traits, just not logic and focus. Are there any XNTPs like this?

It kinda sucks, I really like my maths, physics and chemistry, but as soon as they ask me to solve a problem, everything I know becomes useless, I can only solve it, if someone explains how to do it. advice?

Mole

Permabanned
It kinda sucks, I really like my maths, physics and chemistry, but as soon as they ask me to solve a problem, everything I know becomes useless, I can only solve it, if someone explains how to do it. advice?

I don't like problems or puzzles even crossword puzzles. I prefer to experience a problem, and experience the frustration, and then sit back and let it all come together. Often I don't solve the problem, rather I see it from a new perspective. But really what happens is that in mulling over a problem, I change myself. I find that it is not the problem that is the problem, but me. So if I let myself change, the problem changes.

Of course once I let a problem change me, I am faced with new problems.

So my approach to problems is to be constantly changing myself. But each change must be integrated into past changes. And so I keep my integrity.

R

Riva

^ Nice post (I must admit), especially on the point regarding changing yourself.

But heck you think way too much. Seriously you think too much Vic.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't like problems or puzzles even crossword puzzles. I prefer to experience a problem, and experience the frustration, and then sit back and let it all come together. Often I don't solve the problem, rather I see it from a new perspective. But really what happens is that in mulling over a problem, I change myself. I find that it is not the problem that is the problem, but me. So if I let myself change, the problem changes.

Of course once I let a problem change me, I am faced with new problems.

So my approach to problems is to be constantly changing myself. But each change must be integrated into past changes. And so I keep my integrity.

I actually read about something very similar to this approach. I can definitely see where it comes from, I might give it a test run this weekend :D I think I'll just practice all day, trying different techniques, until I find one that fits.

Mole

Permabanned
^ Nice post (I must admit), especially on the point regarding changing yourself.

But heck you think way too much. Seriously you think too much Vic.

You are quite right, I think too much.

I remember as a little boy driving past the University of Sydney with my father, and I asked him, what do they do there?

He paused for a moment and said, "They think".

And then I remember working on the Leyland assembly line putting together P76 engines, and how it stopped me thinking altogether.

So I quit the assembly line and went to University and discovered a whole world of thinking.

I was very ambitious for at the entrance of Fisher Library was an updated collection of learned periodicals from around the world, and I decided in my hubris to learn enough to read and understand every one.

But out of the hundreds there I learnt to understand about five or six. But still, I love going to the library and read about the small part of the thinking world I understand.

But you're right, thinking is addictive, but what an adventure.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Des anyone have any tips?

It seems to me like you either have it or you don't. My guess is that some people adapt to be logical, to think logically, or perhaps it's partly genetic.

This could of course be related to the thinking cognitive functions... but I'm certain I'm an NT, and I'm not exactly the most logical person around. I have plenty of intuitivity, and many Ti traits, just not logic and focus. Are there any XNTPs like this?

Find the activities that you enjoy and are naturally good at, and then focus on those. Don't worry too much about the activities that don't suit you. If you still have courses that you have to take that deal with these subjects, then put enough effort into passing them and then move on. Put more focus on the activities that naturally do suit you, and always devote your absolute best to these activities.