• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I don't know how much more I can take.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I try to look up a few websites about wisdom teeth extraction and by the end of a couple I'm so cold and frozen that I think my heart's stopped, it takes so long to feel just a bit better.

Even now, hours and hours later, it feels like something's clawing into my stomach.

It's all so, so wrong and it shouldn't be happening at all but every day it seems to be getting worse.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I still have mine. I'll be damned if they be takin' mines.

(Also, I don't have health insurance lol)

sculpting

Hap, ask them to sedate you totally or ask for valium in advance. Find a dentist that advertises "gentle".

Quit looking at tooth extractions online as it sounds like it is making you really upset. Just trust in the skill of your dentist.

hugs.

KDude

The only bad thing that happened when my wisdom teeth got pulled is... that I apparently said something obscene to the assistant when she was helping me to my ride.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I had all four removed in my teens. I saw an oral/maxillofacial surgeon and he was great. They knocked me out completely. That's the only way to go. Recovery eh, it wasn't pleasant but it wasn't terrible either.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
That I get so sick thinking about anything. It's like my life is just one long, lingering panic.

But that's like an overweight person feeling like they have to stand in the donut store to show themselves how weak they are around donuts. There are a lot of people out there who don't like "doctor related" stuff. I can kind of look at the stuff now but I still think it's pretty nasty. Like, ew, there is all this blood and flesh and crap. Nasty. I think people who like looking at it are weird, actually. I'm glad someone can do wisdom teeth extraction, but it certainly isn't me!

Your problem may not be that things make you sick, it might be forcing yourself to focus on it and then berating yourself about it. Relax, everyone has their issues.

Incidentally, I got put under too, I was NOT staying awake for that.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
ha ha, classic Haphazard.

Look up Dream Moods: Common Dreams: Falling Teeth maybe its your subconscious screaming at you.

If this issue is actually getting your wisdom teeth removed I had mine done under general anesthesia and it was like going to sleep and waking up with them gone and gums a little sore for a couple of days with hum, vicodine, to chase the blues away.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
ha ha, classic Haphazard.

Look up Dream Moods: Common Dreams: Falling Teeth maybe its your subconscious screaming at you.

If this issue is actually getting your wisdom teeth removed I had mine done under general anesthesia and it was like going to sleep and waking up with them gone and gums a little sore for a couple of days with hum, vicodine, to chase the blues away.

Does vicodin have bad reactions with valium?

Also, whenever I have dreams about losing teeth it's always because there are new ones growing in underneath. And once I had whale baleen instead of teeth, though I don't know what that has to do with anything.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
But that's like an overweight person feeling like they have to stand in the donut store to show themselves how weak they are around donuts. There are a lot of people out there who don't like "doctor related" stuff. I can kind of look at the stuff now but I still think it's pretty nasty. Like, ew, there is all this blood and flesh and crap. Nasty. I think people who like looking at it are weird, actually. I'm glad someone can do wisdom teeth extraction, but it certainly isn't me!

Your problem may not be that things make you sick, it might be forcing yourself to focus on it and then berating yourself about it. Relax, everyone has their issues.

Incidentally, I got put under too, I was NOT staying awake for that.

but you don't understand.

it's everywhere. Absolutely everywhere.

gromit

likes this
I got mine removed because they were going to grow into my other teeth and cause an infection or something. I don't really miss 'em.

I did have a really scary experience on the nitrous gas, though. I think because I was a little nervous going into it and then it just sort of magnified everything frightening. I thought they were sucking my brains out with the little plastic tube that sucks up drool and then they were going to take over my body and I would have to do whatever they told me to do... :shock: :cry:

It was really funny trying to eat a milkshake afterward. My mouth had NO sensation and the milkshake just dribbled all over. :D I rolled down the window in the car and felt the air on my face, but not my lips and chin. I touched that area and could feel it but NOT... so bizzare. Also the painkillers they gave me afterward just made me barf. My roommate at the time got to have these little syringes to flush out bits of food trapped in there (she'd had hers removed a few months prior), but I didn't get any of those. :( I was pretty jealous, but maybe my scars weren't deep enough to require something like that...

gromit

likes this
Wait, are you in school to be an oral surgeon, or are you contemplating getting your wisdom teeth removed?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Haphazard, sending you a :hug: - when is your procedure scheduled?

It's normal to feel nervous. I agree you should stop looking at the images online.

Your experience may not be as bad as you are imagining. Both of my kids had their wisdom teeth taken out under sedation. It was quick, and both remember nothing of the procedure. Both were 18 at the time. My son walked around the next day like nothing had happened; he had no swelling and within a couple of days reported no soreness. My daughter had more swelling, and felt quite nauseous for about 6 hours, but that passed when we realized it was the painkillers making her feel sick! Her swelling went down within two days.

Wisdom teeth eruption can cause all your teeth to move to new unwanted spots. But your dentist will share the rationale behind your extractions no doubt.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Haphazard, sending you a :hug: - when is your procedure scheduled?

It's normal to feel nervous. I agree you should stop looking at the images online.

Your experience may not be as bad as you are imagining. Both of my kids had their wisdom teeth taken out under sedation. It was quick, and both remember nothing of the procedure. Both were 18 at the time. My son walked around the next day like nothing had happened; he had no swelling and within a couple of days reported no soreness. My daughter had more swelling, and felt quite nauseous for about 6 hours, but that passed when we realized it was the painkillers making her feel sick! Her swelling went down within two days.

Wisdom teeth eruption can cause all your teeth to move to new unwanted spots. But your dentist will share the rationale behind your extractions no doubt.

The slightest thought of blood sends me into a panic attack.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Actually I do understand somewhat. I have a friend who is pretty much scared of everything. She feels like the song "panic attack" by dream theater is about her life.

Also, my 5th grader is actually scared of a LOT of stuff. Some very irrational fears. I've had to dissect fear to teach her how to deal with life. I feel like a lot of things people say to fearful people isn't helpful. "Thunder is just angels bowling" or something. It's not really helpful.

It's learning to balance how MUCH we should be afraid. Everyone is afraid of wisdom tooth extraction. Fear is healthy. We have fear to keep us safe. Healthy fear is learning how MUCH fear you should have in the situation. One reason we have fear is so we don't just go cut our own mouth and try to extract our own teeth. Why? Because we are afraid we will fail at it and end up on the floor of our bathroom. There is a certain amount of fear built into everything.

I think I've given you this lecture before, forgive me. I can't help myself, I've been through it for years with my daughter. I feel like I've learned a lot about fear because of it, and I feel like fearful people have a reason to be fearful, it's just proportion. Usually people tell them "don't be scared" even if they are scared of the same things themselves. Do be scared, just be scared the right way.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
The slightest thought of blood sends me into a panic attack.

Why? You probably have a rational fear of blood. Think about why you feel that way. It's not a crazy thing to have fear of blood.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
To relax right now, focus on your breathing: This is a good video to explain diaphragmatic breathing:

YouTube - Diaphragmatic Breathing

You can find many videos and information about breathing and relaxation online.

You do have some control here - you are not just in the grip of something that has no limit or boundary. Your breathing is the greatest tool to help relax you.

My son has a fear of needles. Of course, having sedation meant he had to have one to insert the IV. To say he was terrified is no small descriptor. But he was able to help himself stay grounded with the breathing exercise here. Did it magically make him not afraid? No. But he came to realize he does have more control and more power in the situation than he realized.