• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Self Expression

Mole

Permabanned
Self expression is not the expression of opinion, nor is is emoting.

Opining is not the expression of the self, it the expression of an opinion.

And emoting is more subtle. It looks like self expression. It feels like self expression. But it is ultimately unsatisfying.

While self expression is completely satisfying.

But to be completely satisfying, self expression needs to express the whole self. Self expression needs to be wholesome.

And to be whole we need access to our deeper self as well as our personality.

And it is the marriage of our deeper self with our personality that dances.

Mole

Permabanned
Self Talk

On the other hand, posting to the forums can be a training in self talk.

Many of us, when we listen to our self talk, find we are carrying on a conversation in our heads with someone else. In other words we are not alone in our heads, we are there with someone else. And quite often our inner conversation makes us feel bad. But we can't seem to help ourselves. We compulsively try to negotiate a better relationship for ourselves - we are often rehearsing a conversation we will be having with someone in real life.

But here we can press the Ignore Button, and presto, the negative conversation disappears. And we are free to start saying things to ourselves, by writing to the forums, that make us feel good.

We can even start saying things that help us discover ourselves.

It's like magic. We can start to turn down the negative conversations and turn up the positive.

All we need to do is regard ourselves with quiet affection and listen.

sculpting

But to be completely satisfying, self expression needs to express the whole self. Self expression needs to be wholesome.

And to be whole we need access to our deeper self as well as our personality.

And it is the marriage of our deeper self with our personality that dances.

Ah this is beautiful. how is our deeper self defined? Is it something that can be captured via simple jungian terms or is it more complex? (My Te and Fi argue this "definition"...) But the dancing is very beautiful..

To whirl and drift, to briefly touch, to intersect and rift apart once again, flying floating by one another. I can "see" this marriage V, and it is quite delightful.

Is our deeper self a reflection of some greater connection we have to all reality?

Many of us, when we listen to our self talk, find we are carrying on a conversation in our heads with someone else. In other words we are not alone in our heads, we are there with someone else. And quite often our inner conversation makes us feel bad. But we can't seem to help ourselves. We compulsively try to negotiate a better relationship for ourselves - we are often rehearsing a conversation we will be having with someone in real life.

oddly my self talk isnt negative-just practical mostly and sometimes sort of funny :) It makes me giggle. Then my very practical toddler goes "What are you laughing at?"

:hug: