• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Online Behavior

gromit

likes this
Do you behave differently in online in interactions than you do in real life interactions? How so? (e.g. more aggressive, plan what you're going to say more, etc.)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Hmm, those that met me might say I'm a bit more reserved, but I'd say I'm still pretty goofy.

My behavior is largely dependent on the people around me so there really isn't too much external consistency, but that might apply to a lot of people.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I generally write in a much more orderly fashion than I talk. I'm also a tad more blunt and snarkier online.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Nah, not so much. The main difference is that I let my inner thoughts out online more often than I would in reality and I'm more inclined to share personal things as I don't have to consider how they'd impact on other people like I do irl.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I generally write in a much more orderly fashion than I talk. I'm also a tad more blunt and snarkier online.

this

and I don't have the benefit of "reading" the person I'm talking to while talking to them online... so figuring out boundaries and such can be a bit more difficult... I'm expressive in real life and I compulsively read other people's faces and movements as well... not to have that makes communicating more difficult :cry:

Lark

This is one of my favourite topics, the first person to create and sell "how to make friends and influence people ONLINE" or the definitive book of online and social media behaviour will make a fortune.

I dont, there was a time that I did, "Lark" started out as an alter ego on a politico website, the people in question where having all sorts of problems with private investigators invading their public meetings and their online forum (it was the whole McLibel Trial thing). In the beginning I think my persona was an alter ego, a kind of false self or persona, I was also a bit of a jerk but I believe that was being younger really. Over time its become simply a username and I'm much more myself online.

I dont blame people for inventing personas or behaving out of character, I know people who do it to avoid trouble from internet trolls and stalkers.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Hmmmm, yes and no. It depends on whom I am interacting with. If it is someone I am comfortable with, then I am the same as on here (this is the only online 'thing' I participate in), if it is a professional interaction or a person I am not as comfortable with I filter much more out of necessity. All of that aside, I am still me with everyone I interact with IRL, but how much of me the person gets is determined by the situation.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
IRL I get along with everyone, but on this forum there is a striking difference to how well I get on with others. Some can express their thoughts inoffensively, but I haven't mastered that art yet.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pretty well the same in reality. Only difference is that I can't draw as much online because it takes more effort. I love to explain things with symbols and pictures, which very much explains my tendancy to use a lot of smileys (this tendancy has been beaten out of me, because I sometimes feel as if smileys are too artificial)

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
this

and I don't have the benefit of "reading" the person I'm talking to while talking to them online... so figuring out boundaries and such can be a bit more difficult... I'm expressive in real life and I compulsively read other people's faces and movements as well... not to have that makes communicating more difficult :cry:
You do a decent job of it anyway, far as I can tell. :)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
that's by using emoticons and analyzing communication patterns :sorry:

it's taken a few years to get good at that :blush:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am more direct here. My life is inundated with S types who don't really like to debate/philosophize/argue so I guess I get that here. I am more open on here than I am irl; I think something about this format promotes more honesty and less inclination to waste time on social niceties.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm pretty much the same, except i'm less out going and don't share my problems as much.

spin-1/2-nuclei

MBTI Type
INTJ
Do you behave differently in online in interactions than you do in real life interactions? How so? (e.g. more aggressive, plan what you're going to say more, etc.)

I basically behave the same online as I do in real life. For the most part I am tolerant and objective and I try to be considerate and respectful towards others. I also tend to have a pretty high threshold for tolerating assclowns since I try to give everybody the benefit of the doubt. If a confrontation results I typically am not responsible for starting it and most of the time I will simply ignore it.

Occasionally both in real life and online I will find it necessary to subject someone to their own brand of behavior, but that is very rare. The only difference is that I tend to do it privately/one-on-one with the person in real life and online it tends to happen in public view (which often times cannot be helped).

Jaguar

I dont blame people for inventing personas or behaving out of character, I know people who do it to avoid trouble from internet trolls and stalkers.

It hasn't worked for you.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I´m a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) kind of person. I am just myself both in life and the web. Although I express myself better when writing than in speech, I always show my true colours.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Another difference: I'm more deadpan when writing online, which reflects my style of thinking. When talking, I tend to come off as alternately more subdued or more cheery than writing, depending on the situation.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I'd like to say no, but it's a dramatic difference.

I'm scared of people... in person I'm very quiet, and for many years alot of people thought I was a mute, since I'd only say a half dozen words a day, and those would be very concise or terse.

Not so bad these days about it, but it's still far quieter, and generally not as outgoing and stumble when speaking alot... brain really never recovered from the lack of speech for so long. At least not fully anyway. Have alot of troubles with speaking in various ways, such as trying to do any sort of multitasking and speaking... speaking takes my entire concentration.

And with my memory as it is... it's easy to loose track of whot I was saying. Whereas, if I'm writing online, on a forum, or whotever, i can keep track of things as I go easily, and the act of writing it out helps me remember whot I've said.

There's some social things as well, things I'd be embarrassed enough that I'd refuse to do in person, I'll gladly do online.

In terms of how I treat people though, I'm the same both online and offline. I don't really have any "anonymity" evilness which many people show, where they're total jerks online simply because they'll never meet the people they're being jerks to.

So I dunno, some ways yes, some ways no.