• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

stigma of mental illness, discuss

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I hate that just because i don't fit a sterotype i can't possibly have a mental illness, the fact that i take meds must mean i'm not trying hard enough, that I'm weak. When in reality no matter what I did I still had symptoms its just frustrating that strangers assume that I'm a certain way because I choose to be that way that I can change at the snap of a finger.

feel free too add own experiences or to ask questions.

sculpting

hello delightful chicken,

The trick with any mental illness is that:
1) they are poorly understood to begin with, poorly categorized, poorly explained
2) They all function on an equilibrium from perfectly normal to completely unable to function in society. You can have a diagnosis, yet be anywhere on that spectrum given how little they understand the root cause.

The benefits to having a label is that it gives you access to medication which can help you regain balance or enhance your life short or long term. It'd be great to say that a certain medication fits a certain illness, but in reality mental illness totally fucks up the Ti world of logical consistency.

There are about ten major family of meds and deciding which med will work is pretty much a crapshoot and gamble.

So dont feel too bad.

As for people who try an tell you what you are? Fuck them. Build your own solution and tell them to fuck off. I think you are pretty awesome myself and you make me smile when I am having a crappy day as you are so funny. Hugs to you.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
its about learning why the body is reacting that way. changing doesn't imply it'll happen. besides i see the patterns so many times of what i went through for decades that its hard for me to resist the urge to say something. mental illness is an inappropriate terminology in my opinion. it does denote a break down in discussion. people do get blinded by their lack of serotonin for a better word. and you can come to a point of assuming that's all it is, thats the way to go, why dig when covered by a blanket across the mind. the functionality might be there but the capacity to understand to why its happening forgotten. i suppose in many ways mental illness is still a stigma in society and very few truly open up in talking about it. but i don't think its just a mental illness in very many instances.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I keep notes of what situations make it worst, and i know to be prepared for such situations, but its more complex for me than just being like oh I'm sad I need to do this and this which is true to an extent, but those things have never fully helped me even looking what have going for me doesn't help.

Mole

Permabanned
One of the greatest sufferings of the mentally ill is social exclusion because of stigmatising.

So one of the best things we can do is befriend a person suffering a mental illness.

Teenagers are particularly cruel to the mentally ill because they are only concerned with conforming to their peer group.

So it takes a truly mature person to befriend a sufferer of mental illness.

Ronald Laing was such a person who befriended his schizophrenic patients. And he was much loved, not only by his patients, but by us all.

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I hate that just because i don't fit a sterotype i can't possibly have a mental illness, the fact that i take meds must mean i'm not trying hard enough, that I'm weak. When in reality no matter what I did I still had symptoms its just frustrating that strangers assume that I'm a certain way because I choose to be that way that I can change at the snap of a finger.

feel free too add own experiences or to ask questions.

I feel this way with my mom sometimes, especially the not trying hard enough bit. It's like she thinks that just because I'm on two perscription drugs that my mental problems should just magically disappear. She says, 'You're on your pills, this shouldn't be happening.'

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
my mom's actually very supportive, believe it or not, I'm lucky in that regard.

Permabanned
Forget about labels. Notice your breath for 4 seconds, in and out, twice. If you're trying to figure something out of it, you are missing the point. If you do notice something [missing, e.g. mental noise] then you're on the right track, just start from there.

Repeat abundantly. :yes:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yeah- I'm aware of the public image attached to bipolar disorder- especially by ignorant people, so I just don't tell anyone about it! :holy:

I have enough trouble without getting slapped with a "crazy" label as well :dry:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yeah- I'm aware of the public image attached to bipolar disorder- especially by ignorant people, so I just don't tell anyone about it! :holy:

I have enough trouble without getting slapped with a "crazy" label as well :dry:

do you find that when you've told people in the past that they treated you differently, or made a comment because you didn't fit the sterotype?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
they tried to fit me INTO the stereotype or attributed any of my quirks to "being crazy"... I just don't care to deal with it :(

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yeah, people suck that way. You even see sterotyping on this site when it comes to type. and then theirs also the people who think they have mental illness figured out. ANd it's like that's why their's still stigma because you won't admit that you can't possibly understand every mental illness, I don't even full understand what I have but I do know how it manifests in myself so i know when i'm going into an episode. But I do not understand bipolar disorder at all but people can be very different within the disorder. the disorder doesn't define a person, it's just part of who they are.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel this way with my mom sometimes, especially the not trying hard enough bit. It's like she thinks that just because I'm on two perscription drugs that my mental problems should just magically disappear. She says, 'You're on your pills, this shouldn't be happening.'

I have a mom like that. In fact it was neglect that like that could possibly be part of the root cause of mental illness (another point is raising your kids in an unstable enviroment). I've always been on the higher functioning spectrum of those of my diagnosis, but I was in a group home/halfway house setting when I was 18, and I saw all levels of functioning. I recieved my offical diagnosis at age 15. That being said, a lot of my life skills had to be fine tuned at a later age.

Anyone who calls someone with a mental illness lazy, esspecially those with a lower GAF score (Global Assessment of Functioning, it's included on the diagnosis sheet)

And the medicine they give you can do some nasty stuff to your body ( went from weighing 135 to 185 in one year as a teen and I already had body image issues at 135) It makes you wonder if it's really worth it sometimes.
I'm a member of a group called NAMI (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill) and working on a degree in psychology (hopefully) The stigma that still exists. I usually start to ignore ignorant people after I make an attempt to educate them, and if they are unresponsive to what I am saying. People believe what they want to believe you know? I do kinda get ashamed about having state health care, but then I get reminded by the people around me that I work and should not be ashamed, because I am working towards something better.
Supportive people are key to doing well :)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yeah, people suck that way. You even see sterotyping on this site when it comes to type. and then theirs also the people who think they have mental illness figured out. ANd it's like that's why their's still stigma because you won't admit that you can't possibly understand every mental illness, I don't even full understand what I have but I do know how it manifests in myself so i know when i'm going into an episode. But I do not understand bipolar disorder at all but people can be very different within the disorder. the disorder doesn't define a person, it's just part of who they are.

very true there... it's like defining someone by or a physical disability (like my limp and inability to run or skip :blush:) it's not who the person IS and it's not like they want it... to judge them by it is pretty cruel

and people are in general either intellectually lazy or intellectually haughty and refuse to admit when they don't know something... this seems to lead to putting people in premade little boxes based on the most extreme behavior :thelook:

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I have a cousin who has schitzophrenia...and being of Irish heritage its more accepted than most cultures...sometimes when someone goes off the deep end of a head trip I am tempted to make light or a little fun of it, however often hold off especially if I suspect others will respond to the fun making in a meaner or harsher way.

The brain is a complex organ. Who is to say what is normal and what is not...and who wants to be normal anyways?

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
At the end of the day meds do save lives in the short term. While I disagree with the approach and believe the whole industry is misguided and misinformed in their approach to dealing with mental health. there are no quick fixes and cures and I have come to the conclusion the industry themselves cause the stigma as much as the public by mistreating you their clients and patients. by being lazy and taking the easy way out, which is prescribe anti depressants, anti everything because they just assume its one trigger as a cause, too much effort and a waste of their time, see a therapist. You spend hours, years of your time supposedly trying to reconcile your issues...only to rarely reconcile your issues and find out its all been a waste of your time. People like fast results like fast food, except with fast results your stitching up the wound and hardly the infection...

Its almost like the medical profession is inflexible, prove it through blood, if your blood fails so do you. Never mind the physical symptoms, especially when certain substances mask results and create an illusion of good times but bad times in your body still. Its just a mental illness take a pill, next please!

People don't like being challenged or questioned, neither are they interested in hearing other peoples views when they are convinced their ideas are true and accurate. Suppose its like that with core beliefs, I might be dismayed with the system since its failed me, but then it has a lot of people. Who then think what they are going through is normal, convinced it is and unlikely to question it much since meds keep them afloat and Dr and Psychologists are the final word...

Suppose after a decade or more you get tired of it and thats when you start wanting proper answers. When for a time you feel better and when you stop with the meds, for years, your convinced that they worked. Somehow unaware that this was created like a short term pump that would burst again. and then you assume the relapse is normal too, maybe the next one after that too.

When your still a child they say take an adult with you to cross the road because the field of vision isn't as developed. I sometimes wonder at people, maybe sometimes the field of vision stays poor for reasons like money, at least the drug companies and the proliferation of industries surrounding the mental health industry are happy but your not or are you?

Maybe its unusual that iodine was removed from bread and bromide was introduced. Maybe it isn't that unusual that last year iodized salt had been reintroduced in Australian bread, don't know about other countries legislation but still makes me wonder why.

Mole

Permabanned
Who is to say what is normal and what is not...and who wants to be normal anyways?

The Bell Curve says what is normal.

And it turns out that almost all of us are normal, but there are a tiny number who are subnormal, and an equally tiny number who are abnormal.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What public image is that? My impression is in the UK people see it as glamourous, or something geniuses or the highly talented get, probably because a lot of highly respected public figures have it or are thought to have had it and that's what it's mainly known for here (which I imagine presents its own problems). Possibly people also think of the so-called 'artistic temperament' when they hear it described. I have noticed anecdotally that Americans seem more defensive about it. Does it have a different reputation in other countries?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I live in a less educated area of the city... the prevailing image here is that someone who's bipolar is completely crazy and just might chop you up in your sleep if the wrong mood hits... not to mention I'm supposed to be emotionally unstable :rolli:

the weird thing is, I'm more emotionally stable and less homocidal than a lot of "sane" people I know :laugh: