• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

stigma of mental illness, discuss

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Our society stigmatizes any type of illness, mental or physical.
It's bullshit.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
But I find that people try to claim their is no stigma, but then they also claim racism doesn't exist either, so who knows people are dumb.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
that's because they're not on the receiving end of the stigma :)

ObliviousExistence

MBTI Type
loco
Enneagram
5W4
sometimes people use mental illness as a crutch, many so called mental illnesses are treated as physiological when in fact they are psychological. In some cases a few of those people are just hypochondriacs, as to why they do it, I haven't looked into it at that depth.

South Park Episode Player - South Park: Bloody Mary
^somewhat related

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
are you the one to decide who's faking or not? I mean really who are you to decide who's faking and who isn't you can't. you are not a mind reader.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
sometimes people use mental illness as a crutch, many so called mental illnesses are treated as physiological when in fact they are psychological. In some cases a few of those people are just hypochondriacs, as to why they do it, I haven't looked into it at that depth.

^somewhat related

So what your telling me is that when I used to have thoughts of death every minute of every hour…then every hour when on anti depressants…when I took Effexor, Aropax (Paxil), Prozac, Cymbalta, Lithium, Lexapro, Remeron and Aurorix I was hypochondriac because they didn't work…when I took Zoloft and polarized a lot of people afterward when I became highly angry, suicidal and and irrational and losing good friends because of it…when I went to Dr #7 who reluctantly trialed me on hypothyroid meds and then miraculously my symptoms got better…but he still insisted on me taking Cymbalta…when I went to dr #8 who got me to do full endocrinologist checkup and found I was adrenal insufficient and needed DHEA, that I was deficient in thyroid hormone and I needed thyroid meds was hypochondria before all that…when I got stigmatized by my family, friends and the medical profession like that, sucked to be me. I very much doubt any person is hypochondriac, just a matter of perspective and finding out the reason why, and there is always a reason. Although there is something to be said that people could use it as an excuse for serious offenses in their lives.

Thyroid, Depression and Mental Health

You go to the doctor; you complain about your depression, or your anxiety, or your emotional swings, or your inability to concentrate, and onto your doctor’s favorite anti-depressant, anti-anxiety, lithium, or bi-polar med you go.

But the problem with this scenario is that your depression or anxiety or other mental health problem is not a unique and unrelated illness. It’s most likely due to having a low free T3, the active thyroid hormone, and/or adrenal insufficiency. And this is especially common for patients treated with T4-only medications.

And this problem is not limited to depression. Low thyroid hormones, and the common occurrence of sluggish, poorly functioning adrenals, can play a role in a variety of emotional and behavioral symptoms and disturbances, including anxiety, excessive fear, mood swings like bi-polar, rage, irritability, paranoid schizophrenia, confusion, dementia, obsessive/compulsive disorders, and mental aberrations.

I like those sentiments.

spin-1/2-nuclei

MBTI Type
INTJ
So what your telling me is that when I used to have thoughts of death every minute of every hour…then every hour when on anti depressants…when I took Effexor, Aropax (Paxil), Prozac, Cymbalta, Lithium, Lexapro, Remeron and Aurorix I was hypochondriac because they didn't work…when I took Zoloft and polarized a lot of people afterward when I became highly angry, suicidal and and irrational and losing good friends because of it…when I went to Dr #7 who reluctantly trialed me on hypothyroid meds and then miraculously my symptoms got better…but he still insisted on me taking Cymbalta…when I went to dr #8 who got me to do full endocrinologist checkup and found I was adrenal insufficient and needed DHEA, that I was deficient in thyroid hormone and I needed thyroid meds was hypochondria before all that…when I got stigmatized by my family, friends and the medical profession like that, sucked to be me. I very much doubt any person is hypochondriac, just a matter of perspective and finding out the reason why, and there is always a reason. Although there is something to be said that people could use it as an excuse for serious offenses in their lives.

I don't think there is any need to take what he said personally. The way I read his post it seemed that he was simply talking about some people with a mental illness not all people and certainly not specifically you. Of course I can't speak for other people, but that was my take on it.

Either way there is such a thing as hypochondriasis disorder and some people do suffer from this. Their disorder does not in any way define your experiences with your disorder, invalidate them, or lessen their obvious impact on your life. It isn't as if hypochondriacs manifest only symptoms of mental illness. Some of them may very well believe they have cancer, diabetes, whatever...

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
That I'll magically be cured if i do xyz this is my mom's perception

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's really not enough education out there on physiological mental illness, many people can't remain truly nonjudgmental and act normal when faced with these legitimate illnesses. My schizophrenic aunt put this really nicely-

"I'm not really treated a person, I'm like someone who is 'ingrained in the mental health system of the greater (name of city) area.'"

And she can have these great maniac laughing fits and have conversations with the spider on the wall and think that her name is "Prince Charming". The greater society won't relate. And I think that's a very lonely place for her to be. And when it's that bad, you can't separate it from your identity- to have normal relationships, you're like at the mercy of the public to make a point to have a clue what you're going through. And people really don't want to do that, it's the sad reality.

(And second option, be on a lot of meds to try to fit with society. The meds don't really work because we're still medically in the dark ages about this topic.)

Usehername

On a mission
The greater society won't relate. And I think that's a very lonely place for her to be. And when it's that bad, you can't separate it from your identity- to have normal relationships, you're like at the mercy of the public to make a point to have a clue what you're going through. And people really don't want to do that, it's the sad reality.

Yeah.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

^somewhat related

Last time I checked, the OP Was on the stigma of mental illness. While this is indeed a display of that stigma in it's entirety, it doesnt' really add to the discussion... it just sort of trolls it.

An illness is not used as a crutch. It is a crutch. It is a weight someone has to carry around, sometimes for their entire lives. If you lack an illness, consider yourself blessed.. but don't try to determine whether you think people with illnesses are faking or not. I've come across very few sick people that DESIRE the things they're dealing with.

And I don't think a few weirdos that fake mental illnesses should be enough motivation to damn and judge everyone. That makes no sense.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Last time I checked, the OP Was on the stigma of mental illness. While this is indeed a display of that stigma in it's entirety, it doesnt' really add to the discussion... it just sort of trolls it.

An illness is not used as a crutch. It is a crutch. It is a weight someone has to carry around, sometimes for their entire lives. If you lack an illness, consider yourself blessed.. but don't try to determine whether you think people with illnesses are faking or not. I've come across very few sick people that DESIRE the things they're dealing with.

And I don't think a few weirdos that fake mental illnesses should be enough motivation to damn and judge everyone. That makes no sense.

:yes:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

My thought exactly. I'm really glad you articulated it.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That I'll magically be cured if i do xyz this is my mom's perception

It's hard when you are powerless to affect something that's distressing a loved one. You keep thinking there's something else that could be done, there must be some way to fix it, seems like xyz should work!

But I know. It can drive you nuts.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
xyz just serves to piss me off, I'm doing my part but the way they treat me is as soon as i have the money i'm moving out

xisnotx

Permabanned
Mental illness is such a farce that I can't even justify reading the op.
Sometimes feeling sad is what you are supposed to be feeling. If you feel sad...you're not sick...you're just sad.
Sometimes feeling angry, nervous, etc etc is what you are supposed to be feeling.
I'm not saying you can't "not feel sad" when you take a drug...but it's not as if you are sick..you're just a normal human who is hiding (him/her)self behind drugs. Some people use drugs, others money, others sex, others success, others power...it's all the same thing in the end.

Also, did you know you can buy prescription drugs online...without a prescription? Apparently a team of "qualified pharmacists" will write you one when you order..if you want it.
I'm feeling a bit "depressed" (not high)...so I'm going to go "self medicate" (drug myself up). Perhaps then my problems will go away..or maybe I'll go away from my problems...or something.