• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

False name with friends?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Do you use a false name, or a false identity with friends you've known at least 1 year or more?

I gather that it's paranoid trait to do this.

I've mildly suspected this of some of my friends.

I've personally entertained the idea that I might do it in another country.

Mostly I've thought that my idea of individuality and anonymity might best be served by telling just little enough.. not by falsificating anything that's real.

Web pseodonymity is another thing.

So what do you know? Have you ever convinced another person that you were of different name, in real life?

Web incidents have nothing whatsoever to do with this query. We all know that you can pretend to be anything you want on the web.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
:rofl1:

Do I send you the bill for the new keyboard I'm going to need when this water ruins it?

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
Outside of nicknames, I've never done or experienced that. Either that, or they're still fooling me and doing a real good job of it.

Though I did get a drunk phone call one night and he tried to convince me that he wasn't the person I thought. being that it was 230am and he woke me up, it wasn't that hard. "Sam" my butt... >.>

Usehername

On a mission
I don't see how you could do that and have a social network of friends. Eventually, someone is going to know someone and you're just going to forever break the trust of someone toward you.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I once introduced myself as "Joseph Stalin" to a chinese immigrant. I actually ended up being good friends with him, so it was really awkward telling him thats not my name after many months of him going "Joseph Stalin!", but he just laughed.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
As you can see from the name I chose -- I'm just too transparent to make up any ol' name. I can't even imagine.

Cyber

MBTI Type
Dork
I have not only done this but have had it done to me before. Back when I was in High School people were always changing the names and posting under false pretences. It got so messed up no one knew who anyone really was. It turned into some kinda game. Though the events like the MySpace tragedy that happened to that girl is taking things way too far.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
I have not only done this but have had it done to me before. Back when I was in High School people were always changing the names and posting under false pretences. It got so messed up no one knew who anyone really was. It turned into some kinda game. Though the events like the MySpace tragedy that happened to that girl is taking things way too far.

That happened in my neck of the woods. It was a tragedy.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I changed my name in Junior High. It had two benefits. First, they couldn't locate my permanent record from elementary (which was an unintentional benefit). Second, it gave me a fresh start with a new identity. Since then I've acquired a half a dozen nicknames and aliases and so I usually can determine where I am by what they call me.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The nature of my personality invites persona names. People *do* call me by my real name (or variations thereof), but just about as many call me Rio. It's an either/or. But no, I've never changed my name or anything. Nicknames is the extent of it.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
I've considered introducing myself by my middle name when I'm somewhere where old friends will never meet these people, but I never have. I wonder if I might someday.

Not to hide, or anything, but just because a change of name might be cool. :)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I always go by either my first or last name- I don't have any nicknames (that I know of :ninja: ) and I always give people my real name. :)

ok- one exception to that- I generally give out the name everyone always confuses my first name with instead of my first name while I'm out, but that's because I don't want anyone who I met going around facebooking me and asking me out with them or anything! :D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't change my name, and don't think anyone has lied to me, but who knows?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Never with friends, but once when visiting relatives. I went by either Zoe or Xenobia. I can't remember which one my sister used. Long story.

I kind of like the name Zoe. *thinks about legally changing names AGAIN*