• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

risk taking!

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think the causation is from personality - be it biological or environmental - to risk tolerance. After all, the whole crux behind this thread is that different people feel different amounts of risk, to the point of arguing whether or not any risk even exists. One might believe rock climbing is extremely risky, while another, having confidence in their Se-related abilities, doesn't think it at all removed from ice-skating or riding a bike down the street.

Well, it's ALL personality. So the question is, what develops in personality FIRST.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Well, it's ALL personality. So the question is, what develops in personality FIRST.

Isn't risk taking a part of personality?

Both are biological, however, to answer the question. They share common factors (well, the E/I and P/J do anyway...)

Forfe

ENTPs more for mental risk - debates, abstract arguments, tangential conversations, stretching the mind and comfort zone till they go insane. I doubt many ENTPs are truly pure physical critters - if the mind is not engaged, the risk does not make sense, simply.

I'm not so sure, I definitely don't consider myself very big on taking risks, but I enjoy both what you said as well as physical thrills like snowboarding, mountain biking and gliding. But as a lot of other people have said I guess it depends on what you actually consider to be risks or not. E.g I wouldn't go climbing without a rope... crazy imo as it involves a very real risk of injury, too many unknown factors involved for my liking.

Usehername

On a mission
I think the causation is from personality - be it biological or environmental - to risk tolerance. After all, the whole crux behind this thread is that different people feel different amounts of risk, to the point of arguing whether or not any risk even exists. One might believe rock climbing is extremely risky, while another, having confidence in their Se-related abilities, doesn't think it at all removed from ice-skating or riding a bike down the street.

that's actually a good point. in rockclimbing, excluding weather, there really aren't going to be unforseen obstacles in your way, so you're able to judge it based off of yourself.

some risks involve quickly adapting and you aren't the only variable in the situation.

i'd actually be more scared to ride my bike down the main streets in the winter than to go rockclimbing for a reasonable height (if i was good at it). because patches of ice are a) unforseen and b) cars are moving all the time. slipping under a vehicle and at least getting a tire run over is probable with biking in the winter for a small portion of riders. nevermind getting yourself run over. that is risky. too many unforseen variables.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I'm bad with risk taking stuff. I never wear seatbelts, speed with the car, bike in winter without an helmet (where's the fun with all the protections?), go hiking without proper equipment, rock climb without proper equipment (only in places I've already climbed with equipment though), free squat without protections. It's kind of boring if you don't take any risk, if you ask me.

(think of a young naive child after watching a Bruce Lee move-- I CAN BREAK THIS BOARD WITH MY HAND-- the child doesn't understand the reality. Same thing with ENTJs in some cases).

Eh. I'm fully aware of the risks in a situation. I just decide not to really care about it since, after all, reality is only one so once the task is done, is done, and risk is just an abstract concept. Btw, I never injuried myself seriously in my life (no broken bones etc)

sassafrassquatch

I know I'm supposed to be the ISTP daredevil but I'm a 6w5 with self-preservation so I don't do anything fun, avoid all risks and fear everything.

Go team me!

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
I can take emotional and relational risks but not any other kind. I think I am emotionally available and willing to trust and easily take risks in being vulnerable and bare souled and completely myself in relationships. Those are risks that I gladly take.

Financial risks no- physical risks most certainly no!!!!!!! I consider it a thrilling feat just to leave the house,lol and driving period is equivalant to sky diving. I get scared and feel certain doom just watching Mega Disasters, which I am not allowed to watch anymore,lol!

I am just barely away from living in a bubble in a bunker under a cave in Canada,lol. I have an ENTP husband though and he is a risk person for sure in pretty much every way. He is good for me because he keeps me out of the bubble in the bunker and kicks my butt out to enjoy life,lol.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
ESxP's and ENxP's are risk takers in different ways. ESxP's seem more inclined toward physical risk that will give an adrenaline rush. ENxP's on the other hand are more prone not to see the risk in the first place. An ENTP, for example, might take out huge loans on a business venture, or tease Mike Tyson about his voice, or run across a busy intersection while talking on a cellphone, etc... without stopping to think about possible negative consequences.

I agree that ExxP's are the biggest risk takers, but S and N determine the type of risk.

snegledmaca

I have never (willingly) taken a risk in my life. If I am forced into such a situation I assume I've already lost and act accordingly. I'm all about security and comfort. I also flee from risk prone people.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
According to bestfittype.com, xSTPs seem to be the risk-takers:

ESTPs are spontaneous, active folks. Like the other SPs, ESTPs get great satisfaction from acting on their impulses. Activities involving great power, speed, thrill and risk are attractive to the ESTP. Chronic stifling of these impulses makes the ESTP feel "dead inside."

ISTPs with more sedate careers usually take on high-risk avocations like racing, skydiving, and motorcycling. While aware of the dangers involved, they are so in touch with the physical world that they know they can get away with much smaller safety margins than other types.

As for myself, I don't feel like much of a risk-taker at all, not in a physical sense. I'm too aware of what might happen, I think. Once I've done it once I'm all game to do it again because I know it was FUN and nothing bad happened, but I definitely make myself too nervous beforehand to try most things.

I, myself, am a huge worry wart about people's well being, so taking Kneivel-esque risks gives me gray hairs.

Yes, that sounds about right.

ENxP's on the other hand are more prone not to see the risk in the first place. An ENTP, for example, might take out huge loans on a business venture, or tease Mike Tyson about his voice, or run across a busy intersection while talking on a cellphone, etc... without stopping to think about possible negative consequences.

I agree that ExxP's are the biggest risk takers, but S and N determine the type of risk.

Actually, that sounds more familiar. Taking risks by not being aware of a potentially dangerous situation. Yeah.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
is this in any way related to the MBTI and personality type? or is it something that a person develops all on their own independant of other personality factors?
In the profiles aren't STPs the greatest risk takers? They are also most skilled at doing this successfully from what I understand. This is of course what I admire most in those types.

From my point of reference I take significant risks on a daily basis, but that is from the context of someone rather shy and fearful. I'm ridiculously adventurous from the inside, but from the outside it looks somewhat reserved. :shock: Ha. For example I had debilitating driving anxiety for a number of years, but over came it even when I "felt" like I was likely going to die. I did it anyway and overcame it. This is also true socially. There is never a point that I'm not taking what feels like significant risks. Every now and then it interfaces differently with reality and people are shocked by it when they get a glimpse of my gutsiness. That's always pretty funny to me.

LucrativeSid

I like to take risks, but it's not quite the same as the way you do it. I take risks hoping to gain something more than the thrill of the event itself. For example, risking 2 years of savings to create a business or something like that. I will usually risk anything that I have except for my life. Although I have taken some risks that could have probably killed me or hurt me really bad, it's not really what I seek out. By no means do I live life by playing it safe, but I'm definitely not risking my life on the things that I do. I figure that as long as I'm still alive, I can build back up from anything if I ever lose, so I'm not afraid to take most risks.

" Any mistakes you commit through audacity are easily corrected with more audacity." - 48 Laws of Power

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I should have been aware long ago when my mother's favorite warning to me before I headed out to play tended to be "don't do anything stupid just because you think it looks fun!" that I'm probably not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree! It probably doesn't help that nearly being smashed by a semi yesterday was "thrilling" to me or that I spend most of my weekends in nice weather free climbing (rock climbing without the use of ropes and all of that other stuff!)

I don't think it's that you lack intelligence, but rather that you seek stimulation and have a lack of self-control. What do you expect, you're an ESTP, after all. ;) I knew it was a problem for them... but I didn't expect they would be the sort of people you would miss if anything happened to them. I guess I was wrong... now I want to see if I can find some kind of cure to curb their risky behaviors and keep them from killing themselves.
I remember studying Risk Attitudes in one of my psych classes a few years ago, and that some people just have a mindset that leads them to enjoy dangerous behavior while other people don't

is this in any way related to the MBTI and personality type? or is it something that a person develops all on their own independant of other personality factors?

I'm pretty sure it's related to ExxP, and especially ES_P. ESTP probably has it worst. Not sure about ISxP, though. Some of them might be big risk takers, others might be more introverted and cautious. It's usually associated with SP's, but I'm not sure ISP's like to take physical risks.

O

Oberon

Case in point:

Today I drove close to 70 mph in a 45 zone on my way to work, clearly taking a risk. The payoff was getting to work before the time clock ticked over 8:00 a.m.. If I punch in at 8:01, I'm considered late.

The speeding is not as egregious as it sounds; I was driving on four-lane divided highway with a speed limit set artificially low. The functional speed limit for that stretch of road ought to be 60 mph, but setting it at 45 generates a lot of revenue for the city. My calculated risk was more financial than physical (though admittedly there was a physical component).

I understood the risk and accepted it, not for its own sake but to reap the attendant benefits. This morning it paid off, thankfully.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I am reminded of the story my grandmother used to tell of my ESTP father when he was young and they lived on the THIRD FLOOR of an apartment building. She was standing at the kitchen window doing the dishes and she looked out and saw my father, "Hi Mom!" way up in the tree almost at her level!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
... It's usually associated with SP's, but I'm not sure ISP's like to take physical risks.
I have an ISTP husband and son. My husband tells stories of jumping over fences and going into people's swimming pools when he was a kid. One summer, he broke both his arms jumping off a porch.
Once he was held up at gunpoint, then followed the robber to his hideout and called the police.
They caught him - counting the money.

My son has an extremely high tolerance for pain, as does my husband.

I don't think that ISFPs have the same kind of physical daring that the Ts have.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
ENxP, ESxP would be at the top (and for all intents and purposes, the F/T area is difficult because 'negative' emotions play a gigantic role in risk measurement and women tend to have more negative emotions yet better risk measurement wiring...).

ENTP'S maybe but ENFP'S are not risk takers! :shocking:
I'm not anyway.;)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
ENTP'S maybe but ENFP'S are not risk takers! :shocking:
I'm not anyway.;)
I know a couple of ENFPs who are great salesmen. Maybe those are the sort of risks they are willing to take.
Selling can be scary!