• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

risk taking!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I should have been aware long ago when my mother's favorite warning to me before I headed out to play tended to be "don't do anything stupid just because you think it looks fun!" that I'm probably not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree! It probably doesn't help that nearly being smashed by a semi yesterday was "thrilling" to me or that I spend most of my weekends in nice weather free climbing (rock climbing without the use of ropes and all of that other stuff!)

I remember studying Risk Attitudes in one of my psych classes a few years ago, and that some people just have a mindset that leads them to enjoy dangerous behavior while other people don't

is this in any way related to the MBTI and personality type? or is it something that a person develops all on their own independant of other personality factors?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think people can take risks for different reasons.

Some like the rush of doing them and living in the moment. Others like the feeling of success when they make it through. Others are challenging their own limits; others want to prove themselves "better" than everyone else.

Gatsby might have more data at hand. Risk taking and the need for stimulation has been studied and tested for. I personally would expect to see a lot of SP types involved in "living in the moment" risk. ESxPs really seem to get a rush out of it.

mysavior

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IT
Risky behavior annoys the shit out of me. I'm not sure why yet.

It has been linked to MBTI type in a way, because all the SP types reportedly enjoy taking risks. There is also mention of ENTJ's enjoying risk (in Socionics), but it was mostly due to weak Se (again in Socionics), causing them to not fully comprehend the gravity of a given situation (think of a young naive child after watching a Bruce Lee move-- I CAN BREAK THIS BOARD WITH MY HAND-- the child doesn't understand the reality. Same thing with ENTJs in some cases).

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Gatsby might have more data at hand. Risk taking and the need for stimulation has been studied and tested for. I personally would expect to see a lot of SP types involved in "living in the moment" risk. ESxPs really seem to get a rush out of it.

The first thing to remember is that risk can be measured in different ways... It's true that SPs seem to gravitate towards riskier sports, however this doesn't actually make SPs "risk" takers. It's very much confirmation bias because we see the crazy risk takers a lot more.

For the most part, Risk takers in MBTI are E--Ps.

So, I'll generalise the following loosely - but keep in mind it is loose. In order of importance; E>I, P>J, N>S, F>T.

However, the following disclaimers are important. Age, sex and experience matters a lot. There are also different types of risk - the one we see (risk-takers) are really 'sensation seekers', which makes E--P very dominant. However, the risk bearing types (this is notable in finance and business) aren't the same, although the same core personality traits are related.

So, if I had to say what 'types' are the greatest risk takers;

ENxP, ESxP would be at the top (and for all intents and purposes, the F/T area is difficult because 'negative' emotions play a gigantic role in risk measurement and women tend to have more negative emotions yet better risk measurement wiring...).

This mirrors what I've seen in the financial world as well.

O

Oberon

I am perfectly happy to accept risk, but not for its own sake. The risk itself is not a source of pleasure for me (or it may be, but I won't take a risk just for the thrill of the risk). It can, however, be a price I'm perfectly happy to pay in pursuit of other, more worthy pleasures. :D

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, if I think it's extremely unlikely I'll die taking said risk, then I'll take it. This would be why I enjoy climbing, and have no problem rappelling off the edge of a cliff. [And I personally don't think either are very risky, so I don't really view them as risks; I just happen to enjoy both, and other people may view them as more risky than I do.]

But whatever -- climbing without ropes?? Silly girl. ;) Bouldering is one thing...actually climbing up pretty high without equipment..that's another.

Although I suppose it depends on the rocks. There have been a few instances in my life where I've done some bouldering where it would have been perhaps *wiser* to be attached to a rope, but I had confidence in my ability.

Usehername

On a mission
Well, if I think it's extremely unlikely I'll die taking said risk, then I'll take it. This would be why I enjoy climbing, and have no problem rappelling off the edge of a cliff. [And I personally don't think either are very risky, so I don't really view them as risks; I just happen to enjoy both, and other people may view them as more risky than I do.]

But whatever -- climbing without ropes?? Silly girl. ;) Bouldering is one thing...actually climbing up pretty high without equipment..that's another.

Although I suppose it depends on the rocks. There have been a few instances in my life where I've done some bouldering where it would have been perhaps *wiser* to be attached to a rope, but I had confidence in my ability.

Yeah. I don't consider my rappelling 100+ down a waterfall/white water rafting with a helmet/etc. risks. They are adrenaline rushes, generally. But they're safe. I don't take stupid risks.
(Climbing without ropes?! Whatever!! That's a stupid risk!)

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
(Climbing without ropes?! Whatever!! That's a stupid risk!)

Yah! I'd never do that... or go hiking up in the mountains with my skiis, just to jump off cliffs... or over frozen lakes... and never closed runs. I'd certainly never go climbing without ropes... in the dark... late at night... I'd certainly never sneak out at night and take a kyak out for a swing on the lake.

And I'd never of done any of those things before I was 14, either.

No sireee. :whistling:

(When it comes to actual risk taking, I was... quite the child. Although my version of 'without ropes' wasn't a full fledge mountain, probably only 2x-3x the size of the indoor ones.)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:blush: you guys are making me feel like I'm crazy :cry: it's not like I usually go somewhere where there aren't other people or where the rocks are slippery- I just really love the challenge! It's one of the few times in my life that I'm fully concentrating on something! :D

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not much of a risk taker. I like climbing and hiking and all that fun stuff, but I won't go somewhere where I have a chance of getting seriously hurt. I'm also afraid of heights so that helps keep me grounded.

I've climbed little rocks without ropes but nothing big enough to injure me if I were to fall.

As far as MBTI goes, I'd imagine ESxPs, closely followed by ENxPs, are the biggest risktakers. I know this ESFP who always has so many crazy stories to tell me. :D

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
No risky business here...

I dream of taking risks (sky diving or financial) but no, I am not generally a risk taker. I think I will do the sky diving at some point in my life, though. Oh, well since I am planning to quit my job at some point in the next year or so (after 19-years with this company), I guess I am sort of being risky there.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I second that EP's are much more prone to risk taking than any of the other MBTI types. I tend to get the feeling that S's are more likely to as well, but that's more of a hunch.
It's kind of funny, because an SP seems very risky indeed, where as an SJ is rather anti-risk, I think.

Anyhow...
As specific types go, ESTPs and ESFPs are definitely major risk takers. So I would say it is a apart of the territory for an ESTP, whatever.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Depends what kind of risk, isn't it? And what reward.

I'd guess ESTPs would go for physical/experiential risk - think extreme sport etc?

ENTPs more for mental risk - debates, abstract arguments, tangential conversations, stretching the mind and comfort zone till they go insane. I doubt many ENTPs are truly pure physical critters - if the mind is not engaged, the risk does not make sense, simply.

I'd guess an ENTJ would go for calculated risks, if he's certain what reward he could have and wants it badly enough.

Would this mean an IxxJ would be the lowest on the "risk" scale?

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It seems perfectly natural, and reflective of type even, for ESTP's to enjoy taking risks. Every STP I know has a daredevil in them, and I think it would be strange if they didn't. My best friend's daughter is an ISTP - she's 6 now - and she's the toughest, most unflappable, curious little creature I've ever met. Tough as nails. She's always trying to jump off the high dive, or hang her head out of the car window, or run around until she falls down. It's her need to push herself to her limit, to know where her boundaries are. It's a little disturbing, how headlong she is sometimes, but she's smart and tough enough to experience her life in this manner.

I, myself, am a huge worry wart about people's well being, so taking Kneivel-esque risks gives me gray hairs.

sleepy

I do flying(no motor)(since as a kid), there is almost always one or more accidents when comps or something, minor or more serious,but like all tings, its how you do them, so i dont see my self as taking risks(its always calculated to go ok...,:rolli: I like it, and thats the important ting). There was online test of us, and there where mostly intj, some intp, a few infp, rest scattered., probably doesn't say much(since the nt's seem to be the ones taking polls).

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
...I remember studying Risk Attitudes in one of my psych classes a few years ago, and that some people just have a mindset that leads them to enjoy dangerous behavior while other people don't

is this in any way related to the MBTI and personality type? or is it something that a person develops all on their own independent of other personality factors?
I think so.
It's my belief that generally speaking, SPs are the biggest risk-takers of the four basic types.

In Nurture By Nature, ESTP children are referred to as having the motto of, "Look Mom! No hands!"
My ISTP son is a bit of a thrill-seeker.
("Mom, can I ride my bike off the roof?")

I think the SJ types tend to be the most cautious.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
you are quite right about that- my isfj mother is VERY cautious about everything! (I bought her the Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook once since she's so concerned- she actually read through it and pointed out that she had wondered about many of the situations in the book! :D )

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
If there is a correlation, you have to wonder which way the arrow of causation is pointing. Could it be that a high tolerance for risk tends to develop into extroversion, sensing, and perception? (I don't think the F>T has any merit.) Maybe those who have a high tolerance for risk are rewarded in ES ways like money and sex.

I think you might find a correlation with P, then E, then S (highest to lowest).

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
I think the causation is from personality - be it biological or environmental - to risk tolerance. After all, the whole crux behind this thread is that different people feel different amounts of risk, to the point of arguing whether or not any risk even exists. One might believe rock climbing is extremely risky, while another, having confidence in their Se-related abilities, doesn't think it at all removed from ice-skating or riding a bike down the street.