• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Astrology - Are you a believer?

Do you believe in astrology?

• Yes

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 137 77.8%
  • I have no idea what it is? So I'm not sure.

Votes: 7 4.0%

• Total voters

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I concede that there is a large degree of charlatanism in astrology.

On the other hand, at a macro scale, we KNOW the effect that the moon has on menses, tides, and the observable but not proven beyond doubt, psychoses, behaviour and sleep patterns.

We also KNOW without doubt, the effect that sunspot activity has on radio frequency communication and who knows what else.

So why are we so ready to absolutely deny the possibility of subtle effects of other heavenly bodies simply based on our observation of the charlatans?

Would it not be better to say I don't believe it based on what I understand now but I am open to the possibility rather than adamantly denying it?

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
What has struck me as ironic is that here we are on a site devoted to typology, the basis of which is observation of behavioural preferences over less than a hundred years, and which theory we are happy to accept because it fits us and has been continually refined over that time.

Does it not strike you as odd that the same people happy to accept this as a truth are also completely comfortable to deny the observations and mathematics of over 2000 years???

I have seen some nonsense, pseudo typology based questionnaires in my time investigating learning styles, type and temperament used in popular pseudopsychology as well, but it does not give me pause in my fascination for and belief in the apparent truth of the underlying principles.

Jaguar

Does it not strike you as odd that the same people happy to accept this as a truth are also completely comfortable to deny the observations and mathematics of over 2000 years???

The oldest form of typology began with oriental astrologers.
Carl Jung used astrology.

"Astrology represents the summation of all the psychological knowledge of antiquity." C.G. Jung

"My evenings are taken up very largely with astrology. I make horoscopic calculations in order to find a clue to the psychological truth." - C.G. Jung
(In a letter to Sigmund Freud)

"One can expect with considerable assurance, that a given well-defined psychological situation will be accompanied by an analogous astrological configuration." - C.G. Jung

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
nobody's explained that I'm supposed to be controlled in part by the Virgin yet... explain that and then I'll be stunned! :whistling:

Mole

Permabanned
What has struck me as ironic is that here we are on a site devoted to typology, the basis of which is observation of behavioural preferences over less than a hundred years, and which theory we are happy to accept because it fits us and has been continually refined over that time.

Yes, any psychometrician will tell you that MBTI has no more truth value than astrology.

And any astronomer will tell you that astrology has no truth value whatsoever.

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
I just don't get why people aren't willing to just say 'Hey maybe there is a possibility'.

Nobody is telling you to devote your life to it. You guys are seeing the extremes of things.

I 'believe' in it, but it doesn't mean that I devote my life to it 24/7, nor do I use it 24/7, nor against/for other people. I only use it for personal interests. Very much like typology, don't you think?

It's like believing in a God. I believe in it. That's it.

It doesn't mean I'm necessarily Christian, or Muslim, or Buddhism, etc, nor does it mean I'll use it to start up a cult, or some religious teachings. Just because you believe in astrology, doesn't mean you're a delusional retard.

It's like people thinking that homosexual people have some kind of disease, or Satan has influence over them. I'm pretty sure the last time I checked, Satan wasn't around giving me orders.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Yes, any psychometrician will tell you that MBTI has no more truth value than astrology.

And any observant person can tell you that you're repetitive and boring when you keep saying the same thing over and over. Can you please stop trolling this thread Victor, or at least say something original if you have anything to contribute? I seem to have seen the same post repeating itself with minor variations so many times I can scarcely keep count any more.

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3

So? If I was an astronomer, and I told you that the world is flat, would you believe me?

It's funny how the oldest science known is astrology. But then again, science is about discovery. Until we discover the facts, people are just going to completely deny it and say it is false.

That's how humans work. They have to see something as impossible to have the 'possible'. Without the impossible, there is no possibility.

You're seeing things from your side (Eg, from the astronomers).

(Please don't take this as I'm trying to recruit you into some sort of astrological cult :doh: I'm just here for opinions/discussions. Mostly to cure boredom..)

Mole

Permabanned
I concede that there is a large degree of charlatanism in astrology.

It's far worse than mere charlatanism, it is misogyny.

For in a misogynist society women are treated with contempt, and there is nothing more contemptuous than putting astrology at the back of women's magazines.

Yes, almost all women's magazines have astrology at the back, sometimes three, four or five pages of astrology.

And in a misogynist society women suffer the Stockholm Syndrome, where in order to survive, they accept the values of those who regard them with contempt.

And those who suffer the Stockholm Syndrome are called compradors, and support and co-operate and collaborate with those who regard them with contempt.

Misogyny is an iron trap, and even co-opts those it regards with contempt.

And astrology treats women with contempt.

Our largest crime statistic is domestic violence - the violence of men against women in the home.

And in a misogynists society it is so easy to move from public contempt of women, to private violence in the home.

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3

For in a misogynist society women are treated with contempt, and there is nothing more contemptuous than putting astrology at the back of women's magazines.

Yes, almost all women's magazines have astrology at the back, sometimes three, four or five pages of astrology.

And in a misogynist society women suffer the Stockholm Syndrome, where in order to survive, they accept the values of those who regard them with contempt.

And those who suffer the Stockholm Syndrome are called compradors, and support and co-operate and collaborate with those who regard them with contempt.

Oh, so it's an issue of 'women's rights' now? :doh:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
as the posessor of a vagina (of my own!) here... that statement was bullshit :rolli:

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
as the posessor of a vagina (of my own!) here... that statement was bullshit :rolli:
:doh: I don't know why, but every time I see/read penis or vagina, I start laughing...

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

Our largest crime statistic is domestic violence - the violence of men against women in the home.

And in a misogynists society it is so easy to move from public contempt of women, to private violence in the home.
How you could equate this to mysogeny is quite baffling - most newspapers carry astrology readings as well.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*tips hat* speaking from experience here ma'am...

:newwink:

Mole

Permabanned
How you could equate this to mysogeny is quite baffling - most newspapers carry astrology readings as well.

Both magazines and newspapers reflect the misogyny of the whole society.

I know it is too much to bear to recognise we live in a misogynist society, so we rationalise it to ourselves by quibbling over magazines or newspapers.

And of course it must be completely unbearable for a woman to recognise she lives in a misogynist society. To survive in such a society, to adapt to such a society, must do terrible things to her mind.

In a misogynist society women are dependent for love and support on the very people who regard them with contempt in public and treat them with violence in the home.

So rather than face this unbearable truth, women rationalise.

And rationalisation, as we know, is a psychological defence mechanism to protect us from a harmful truth.

And astrology is the prefect form of never ending rationalisation.