• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Astrology - Are you a believer?

Do you believe in astrology?

• Yes

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 137 77.8%
  • I have no idea what it is? So I'm not sure.

Votes: 7 4.0%

• Total voters

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
^ Haha I agree; It's just a confidence trick. I'm mature enough to know it now! It is something I use to keep myself going; like a guidance point. :yes:

But you know sometimes.. you just want to be delusional, even for a short while... :yes:

BTW. I didn't understand a word in there?

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think it's bull ___.

Maybe, if they give an explanation on how the month a person is born can affect a person's personality. But, I might change my opinion if someone could provide a reasonable arguement on why I should believe in astrology.

Although it does give a semi accurate descriptions of my personality and another person I know whom I discussed the subject with. But you know what they say, "even a broken clock is right twice a day."

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was born in Atlanta, GA on April 2, 1987 at 8:30 AM.

According to theses information, you are Ares ascendant Taurus, with Moon in Gemini.

You have also:
Venus in Pisces and in House XI
Mercury in Pisces and in House XI
Mars in Taurus and in House I
Jupiter in Ares and in House XI
Saturn in Sagittarius and in House VIII
Uranus in Sagittarius and in House VIII
Neptun in Capricorn and in House VIII
Pluto in Scorpio and in House VI

I'm not good at interpretation and will let Ming do the job, but you have thoses information for the time.

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
I think it's bull ___.

Maybe, if they give an explanation on how the month a person is born can affect a person's personality. But, I might change my opinion if someone could provide a reasonable arguement on why I should believe in astrology.

Although it does give a semi accurate descriptions of my personality and another person I know whom I discussed the subject with. But you know what they say, "even a broken clock is right twice a day."

"Maybe, if they give an explanation on how the month a person is born can affect a person's personality." Umm. They do?

"Reasonable argument why I should believe in astrology" -> Why should you believe in anything? It's like believing in a God, but not necessarily to bow down to him. It's just acknowledging that it is there. It's not like it's a cult or something where you have to start doing rituals...

If that happens. Run. RUN YOUR ASS OFF.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
:smoke: Drat - I completely forgot about the Moon in conjunction with Mars. And Uranus rising in Venus. Or something.

I agree. Many an evening, at Chez Trombones, Ms Trombones and I whisk away the cold winter evenings with The Tarot. She takes great delights in "predicting" my future. Which starts off with painting the spare bedroom, quickly followed by the purchase of some new and expensive appliance for the kitchen . She is fiendishly accurate. You don't want to know what happen the night she produced the Hanging Man followed by Death...

On a more serious note, astrology does appear to be part of a set of high revenue industries that function as a law unto themselves. The claims they make are wholly unproven. Which isn't so bad, if it's only a bit of fun.

Take for example the case of Simon Singh, MBE over this article

Due to the peculiarities of English Libel Law, he found himself in the dock, a remarkable occurance given all he'd done was present a scientific case against quackery. Oddly, the British Chiropractic Association did not have to prove their claims about the effectivemess of their therapy, merely that Simon Singh was "defaming" them.

The British Chiropractic Association eventually withdrew its case, which had been extremely costly, both to itself and to the unfortunate Mr Singh. But then again, the BCA could afford to undertake such an expensive legal venture, given the multi-million pound nature of its business.

The main point to make with alternative medicine, astrology, et al, is their insistance that someone else should prove them wrong; that claims can be made, willy-nilly, and are correct until someone proves them wrong. They seem to assume, as with astrology, that "correct" is the default term rather than "unproven", which it manifestly is.

Again and again, skeptics go through the relentless procedure of dissassembling this hokey-cokey, as if it's a game worth playing and again and again the hokey-cokey merchants glibly respond that their "theories" are still valid for the same old non-valid reasons and they "haven't been disproven", it's been used for "thousands of years", etc.

It get's to the point where it's difficult not to consider the possibility that some people are simply chumps that want to throw away their money, and will get duped by whatever silver-tongued charlatan crosses their path. Whatever process of logical deconstruction is used, they will happily ignore it and continue to subscribe to beliefs that are, to the casual observer, no better that a lame confidence trick.

Cue, Victor...

This drivel made Sim's drivel look almost respectable.

I don't know you BT, but this post made you sound like a giant blowhard.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
With this information, I am now going to clone your ID, Charles. :newwink:

Here in the Old Merry, one Auntie Margaret jumped on her chariot for the 3rd time, about two months after you were born, sim.

Dame Hilda was a very decisive person. She famously was "not for turning". But here on Astrology - Libra Star Sign Horoscopes her "type" is described as:

THE SCALES is the sign of the diplomat and the ditherer

She was neither. - Big-time stylie.

Margaret Thatcher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh, did you know that she had a SCORPIO ascendant? And A LEO moon? Did you know that she had MOON CONJUNCT MARS? Or a Saturn Conjunct Ascendant? She also had a Capricorn Jupiter.

You're looking at the sun sign astrology, and that isn't the bigger picture..

But never use astrology to the extent of intervening with your life.. NEVER use it to make a decision. It's not reliable enough..

But for fun, why not?

Ohhhh shit, BT--she had a MOON CONJUNCT MARS!

Stuff that in your pipe and smoke it!

:smoke: Drat - I completely forgot about the Moon in conjunction with Mars. And Uranus rising in Venus. Or something.

For the completely ignorant, just to give Ming's observations some context:

On top of being a Libra sun sign (which essentially means your core identity), the following mean:

Ascendant in Scorpio

Scorpio Ascendant people have a lot of presence. There is something about them that tells the world that they are not to be pushed around. Their manner commands respect, and in some cases, fear. Scorpio rising people can be quiet or loud, but they always seem powerful and determined.

You either love or hate Scorpio rising people— they are rarely people who go through life unnoticed. In fact, some of them are confused when faced with the fact that they get such strong reactions from others. They seem to look right through people, seeing through superficiality. This can be quite intimidating to some, and intriguing to others. Scorpio rising people, in their dealings with others, look for answers by reading between the lines. Surface details are discarded when they are getting a feel for people and situations around them.

Scorpio rising people value their privacy so much, it can border on paranoia. They have a strong need to control their environment and are experts at strategy. Rarely people who will blow their chances with impatience, they plan out their moves carefully and deliberately, relying on their awesome ability to feel out others and situations.

Scorpio rising natives are drawn to down-to-earth, natural partners. Reliability in their partner is very important. They generally look for complete commitment and have little patience with flighty partners.

Moon in Leo

Depending on other positions in the chart, Moon in Leo people are not necessarily outgoing. When they feel comfortable, they do like being the center of attention. That is, they like being in the "spotlight" in the comfort of their own homes and with family and friends. They enjoy entertaining others, and often take on the role of comic.
Lunar Leos often feel a need to organize, and even control, their families and friends. They have an inner mission to set things right, and generally like to oversee the goings-on in their little circle.

This is a rather creative position of the Moon. At the very least, Moon in Leo people want to create and entertain. They can be rather lazy at times, and a little bossy too. Generally, though, they have a deep need to treat others fairly and justly.

Lunar Leos require lots and lots of love and care in order to function well in the world. When they feel slighted, these people can be dramatic in their emotional displays. When their pride has been hurt, they are given to big scenes and sulking. This rarely happens in public, however. Lunar Leos are far too concerned about their image to make splashy scenes outside the comfort of their own homes. In public, they prefer to take things in dignified ways. At home, however, they're given to big displays of emotional drama. These scenes generally don't last too long, however. Lunar Leos are often personally popular folk who are valued for their integrity and strong sense of justice.

Generally, it is easy to reason with a Lunar Lion. Appealing to their well-developed sense of fairness usually works well.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
^ Started to sound a little more like Margie, BT?

When I saw the Scorpio Ascendant, I knew that was accurate. Based on the little I know about Leo (I believe it's supposed to be most correllated with pride), which seemed very understandable as well, based on what I know of Madge.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
"Maybe, if they give an explanation on how the month a person is born can affect a person's personality." Umm. They do?

Can you show me a link to this explanations? Preferably one with scientific facts to support the claim with reasons for the hypothesis. I'm not unfamiliar with astrology, I just find most all of the explanations i've read to be complete bull ____. I'm not saying your wrong, but i'm just skeptic about astrology....maybe because I'm a scorpio.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Btw, for a little more context, I'm a Libra sun sign and Scorpio rising as well.

Which would bring Madge and I a lot closer in personality type than just Libra sun sign.

At the same time, our moons are very different.

My personal feelings about her largely reflect the same dynamic.

MacabreCharade

This doesn't really work when the people are trying to push it down. It needs an open mind and actual research and diving into.
So if it's 'bullshit', then why hasn't it died out yet? You may think: "But religion hasn't died out either!". Well...religion has all the books, churches and physical 'evidence' behind all of it, apparently buying people into believing it.
But astrology has not. All it has is the astronomical placements and they have been backing it up for millenniums. But that's apparently enough to manage to keep it alive.
Indeed, astrology actually is a valid system and it will probably be used for a very long time.

From a person with a chart highly similar to mine:

""Sir, I have studied it, you have not" -Isaac Newton, Astrologer (190 IQ) said in defense of astrology to disbeliever in Halley (comet discoverer)"

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Can you show me a link to this explanations? Preferably one with scientific facts to support the claim with reasons for the hypothesis. I'm not unfamiliar with astrology, I just find most all of the explanations i've read to be complete bull ____.

:doh:

Forzen, there's no such thing as a scientific explanation of astrology.

Same goes for Typology, for the most part.

It's just a ridiculous request from the start.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
For the completely ignorant, just to give Ming's observations some context:

On top of being a Libra sun sign (which essentially means your core identity), the following mean:

Ascendant in Scorpio

Scorpio Ascendant people have a lot of presence. There is something about them that tells the world that they are not to be pushed around. Their manner commands respect, and in some cases, fear. Scorpio rising people can be quiet or loud, but they always seem powerful and determined.

You either love or hate Scorpio rising people— they are rarely people who go through life unnoticed. In fact, some of them are confused when faced with the fact that they get such strong reactions from others. They seem to look right through people, seeing through superficiality. This can be quite intimidating to some, and intriguing to others. Scorpio rising people, in their dealings with others, look for answers by reading between the lines. Surface details are discarded when they are getting a feel for people and situations around them.

Scorpio rising people value their privacy so much, it can border on paranoia. They have a strong need to control their environment and are experts at strategy. Rarely people who will blow their chances with impatience, they plan out their moves carefully and deliberately, relying on their awesome ability to feel out others and situations.

Scorpio rising natives are drawn to down-to-earth, natural partners. Reliability in their partner is very important. They generally look for complete commitment and have little patience with flighty partners.

Btw, for a little more context, I'm a Libra sun sign and Scorpio rising as well.

We've already determined that Libra sun sign seems to accurately correlate with my personality.

So how bout we bring *someone else*, who knows me well, into the mix, and ask her whether the above description of Scorpio Rising (Ascendant) seems to accurately correlate with my personality...

Babe, could you give some insight as to whether the above description has manifested itself in any way, let alone any significant way, in our relationship?

Pray, do tell...

(p.s. Sim, this would now be 1/144 if it fits the bill, based on your methodology... :jew:)

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
This drivel made Sim's drivel look almost respectable.

I'll sure sim is relieved to know your thoughts; as am I.

I don't know you BT, but this post made you sound like a giant blowhard.

I understand the meaning of "blowhard" to mean a braggard or someone who boasts.

Which part of the post was boastful, Zarathustra?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
^ Haha I agree; It's just a confidence trick. I'm mature enough to know it now! It is something I use to keep myself going; like a guidance point. :yes:

But you know sometimes.. you just want to be delusional, even for a short while... :yes:

BTW. I didn't understand a word in there?

Ming, if you didn't believe it at all, why would you use it?

Don't sacrifice your beliefs due to the skepticism of others.

I recommend you read this: The Will To Believe, by William James.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
See top three entries on Urban Dictionary.

:smile:

Like the Urban Dictionary, rather than, like, a real one?

Hey, this bit fits you, little fella':

"A person that is known to rant and rave about things. Their opinions are usually ignorant and lack evidence. The term comes from the literal meaning of "blowing hard". If you blow hard enough people pretty much have to listen."

Keep blowing, fucko!

:hi:

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
:doh:

Forzen, there's no such thing as a scientific explanation of astrology.

Same goes for Typology, for the most part.

It's just a ridiculous request from the start.

I'm trying to give someone a benefit of a doubt here. I know it was a ridiculous request. Also, I've read about astrology in the past. While I found it entertaining to read, I have never thought of taking it seriously. I don't know everything, so when someone tries to state an idea or a concept I give them the benefit of a doubt to prove themselves.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
:smile:

Like the Urban Dictionary, rather than, like, a real one?

Hey, this bit fits you, little fella':

"A person that is known to rant and rave about things. Their opinions are usually ignorant and lack evidence. The term comes from the literal meaning of "blowing hard". If you blow hard enough people pretty much have to listen."

Keep blowing, fucko!

:hi:

Oh my, what shall I do with myself?

Someone who I called a blowhard first, called me one back?

:cry:

The point where the definition is incorrect is the assertion that I'm ignorant.

You, my friend, are obviously the ignorant one (at least about astrology) in this dialogue.

:yes: