• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Astrology - Are you a believer?

Do you believe in astrology?

• Yes

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 137 77.8%
  • I have no idea what it is? So I'm not sure.

Votes: 7 4.0%

• Total voters

Mole

Permabanned
I think astrology can be viewed similar to MBTI. It's a pathway to self-discovery, nothing more...nothing less.

Modern astrology has the astronomy factually wrong, just as in seventy years no double blind test has been done on MBTI.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
No astronomer believes in astrology.

No wonder onemoretime thinks you're the smartest poster on here.

You share the same characteristic: you say completely false statements while thinking you're absolutely right.

G

garbage

Question #1 about natal charts:

what the hell is a natal chart

I'm gonna look it up I guess

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I used to be a major skeptic about astrology. I thought it was mere delusional child's play. Of course, when I felt this way, I really didn't know much about astrology or how it supposedly works.

I continued with this skepticism until one day just a little over a year ago when something crazy happened to me.

I was returning a pair of jeans that I'd bought at a store three months before.

When I'd originally bought the jeans, I was helped by a tall, very attractive, sandy blond Lebanese girl who'd grown up in Switzerland. I was trying on some jeans in the dressing room, and she and I were talking, when all of a sudden she says to me, "You're a Libra."

I'm standing there in the dressing room, putting on a pair of jeans, and just freeze.

I was born October 17th.

I stopped for a moment, thinking to myself, and finally said, "How did you know that?"

She said, Libras are always very picky in their aesthetic tastes...

I paused again.

"Seriously? You really just guessed I was a Libra based on that?"

She said, "I've studied a lot of astrology. And I see different people all day long. I've gotten pretty good at typing them."

Needless to say, I was blown away.

So, anyway, fast forward three months to the present time (March 2009):

I'm returning the same pair of jeans to the same store.

Unfortunately, the same attendant was not working at the time, but another attractive foreign female attendant (Israeli, this one) came up to me and asked me what I was looking for. I told her I was looking to return the jeans, and potentially buy something else.

She and I start chatting, she brings me some shirts and jeans, and right as I'm putting on another pair of jeans, she stops and says to me, "You're a Libra."

No fucking joke.

For some reason, two different girls, same store, both just happen to tell an astrology skeptic that he's a Libra, when he's changing in the exact same dressing room.

If you take this as mere random chance: that's a 1/144 chance that they both get it right.

I've never had anyone else my entire life even venture a guess as to what my sun sign is.

But for some reason, the only two times I ever come into the same store, these two girls happen to ask, and they just happen to be right.

It was odd.

Needless to say, I opened up a bit more to astrology after this experience.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Oh, and for the doubters:

I am an extremely observant and careful person, and on both of these occasions my wallet was inside the front right pocket of my jeans (as it always is), which were inside the dressing room, which neither of these girls ever entered a single time.

:yes:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Question #1 about natal charts:

what the hell is a natal chart

I'm gonna look it up I guess

It' s a chart showing the positions of all the planetary bodies (moon, sun, planets, asteroids, and more) at the exact time of your birth, relative to your position on Earth.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I get into and out of Astrology.

My birth chart that was read to me by an Ayervedic (sp?) astrologer made me cry, it was so accurate.

soooo, yeah.

:)

Mole

Permabanned
Zero

No wonder onemoretime thinks you're the smartest poster on here.

You share the same characteristic: you say completely false statements while thinking you're absolutely right.

An astronomer is only a phone call away.

If you wish, you can pick up the phone and ring an Observatory and ask to speak to an astronomer.

And then you can ask them the truth value of astrology.

My guess is that the answer will be zero.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, and for the doubters:

I am an extremely observant and careful person, and on both of these occasions my wallet was inside the front right pocket of my jeans (as it always is), which were inside the dressing room, which neither of these girls ever entered a single time.

:yes:

I suggest you read a book called Innumeracy by John Allen Paulos.

Statistically crazy things are not always so crazy.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
For those who are curious about astrology, the book Cosmos and Psyche by Richard Tarnas is a phenomenal, intellectually rigorous, challenging, mind-expanding read.

He graduated from Harvard cum laude in Philosophy and I believe got his PhD in Philosophy as well.

Was the director of research at the Esalen Institute in Big Sur, CA, where he became very close friends with Huston Smith, Joseph Campbell, and the many other modern thinkers who frequent there.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
An astronomer is only a phone call away.

If you wish, you can pick up the phone and ring an Observatory and ask to speak to an astronomer.

And then you can ask them the truth value of astrology.

My guess is that the answer will be zero.

One astronomer not believing in astrology doesn't mean no astronomer believes in astrology.

Pretty... simple... logic... there.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Zarathustra: First girl commented with second girl. Yes she was no longer working at the store, but there are a million ways that could have happened.

Regardless, that's all very nice but what I want to know is how astrology explains the correlation between character traits and the movement of the planets. Is astrology a science?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Women awe and flatter to gain commission, and the men fall for it all the time, even the "skeptical" INTJs.

;)

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Zarathustra: First girl commented with second girl. Yes she was no longer working at the store, but there are a million ways that could have happened.

Ummm, first girl commented to second girl about a guy who's been in the store one time, and when the guy came back three months later, the second girl just happened to know it was him?

Really?

That's the leg you're trying to stand on?

Interesting... that really says a lot about your openness to new possibilities/ideas...

Regardless, that's all very nice but what I want to know is how astrology explains the correlation between character traits and the movement of the planets. Is astrology a science?

As for the second part of your comment, I'm so glad you asked:
Cosmos and Psyche: Intimations of a New World View - by Richard Tarnas

Download the real player audio file (second link) under "Interviews"

Jaguar

I'm gunna be a star.

Male_Beer_Fairy_by_BreakTheDay.jpg

Mole

Permabanned
Richard Tarnas was the director of research at the Esalen Institute in Big Sur, CA.

I remember Esalen where an ambulance would pull up once a week, every week, and everyone would troop down to have their shots for sexually transmitted diseases.

Esalen is not an accredited University and so anyone who would call themselves, "Director of Research at Esalen Institute, Big Sur, CA", is simply pretentious.

Quite like astrology itself.